2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    My response to your repartee was informal and playful, hence the use of tutois. My question was deliberately formal in tone, and not exclusively directed to you individually, but "you" as representative of a community, of which I am an outlier, hence the vousvois (see my response to Topper). It's all about understanding nuance in written language.
    I am no creekster or any other of the sophisticated French speakers here, but are you saying the French will speak informally and formally to the same person as you have done, or are you unwilling to admit a faux pas and are therefore just dancing around like a lawyer caught with a bad question? In German, you wouldn't do what you did, and I don't believe you'd see that in Spanish, Portuguese or Italian. I have no idea about Romanian or Romansque (Switzerland's fourth language).
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
        I am no creekster or any other of the sophisticated French speakers here, but are you saying the French will speak informally and formally to the same person as you have done, or are you unwilling to admit a faux pas and are therefore just dancing around like a lawyer caught with a bad question? In German, you wouldn't do what you did, and I don't believe you'd see that in Spanish, Portuguese or Italian. I have no idea about Romanian or Romansque (Switzerland's fourth language).
        I'm not sure you are aware of this, but this is a message board. We regularly waffle between formal and informal language, in nearly every post. The shear fact you are using the a french term "faux pas" supports that fact. lol, are you even aware faux pas is a co-opted french term, used for informal english purposes? In other words, say in academic writing, or legal writing would you use the term faux pas?

When you want to ask a direct, formal question in French you use vousvois, especially if your intent is to change the tone of the conversation. So, yes you would use tutois and vousvois in conversational French where appropriate, but especially in writing. I live in a bilingual country and speak, if not write in French almost daily. < Hey Art, another bonafide for ya.
        Last edited by tooblue; 11-10-2017, 07:16 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure you are aware of this, but this is a message board. We regularly waffle between formal and informal language, in nearly every post. The shear fact you are using the a french term "faux pas" supports that fact. lol, are you even aware faux pas is a co-opted french term, used for informal english purposes? In other words, say in academic writing, or legal writing would you use the term faux pas?

When you want to ask a direct, formal question in French you use vousvois, especially if your intent is to change the tone of the conversation. So, yes you would use tutois and vousvois in conversational French where appropriate, but especially in writing. I live in a bilingual country and speak, if not write in French almost daily. < Hey Art, another bonafide for ya.
          Hey, look at that. I'm using formal and informal language in a post, in a effort to change the tone.

The real problem is Topper, the novice French as a second language speakers here, who adhered to clumsy mission rules surrounding the use of tutois versus vousvois failed to understand that the French people, in general, found missionaries extra weird because we used vousvois all the time. The members tolerated it because they understood it was a mission rule. But if you ask non LDS French it almost sounded as though missionaries were trying to speak like Shakespearean actors—in french.

My limited understanding of Italian is based on the fact my son served there and insists they were expected to use informal language. As an aside, the also they didn't care about the whole kissing on the cheek thing there iether. We went to Italy and picked him up at the end of his mission, the missionaries were regularly greeted with kisses everywhere we went. That was a big no no in France. < Oooh, more bonafides Art!
          Last edited by tooblue; 11-10-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure you are aware of this, but this is a message board. We regularly waffle between formal and informal language, in nearly every post. The shear fact you are using the a french term "faux pas" supports that fact. lol, are you even aware faux pas is a co-opted french term, used for informal english purposes?
            Pourquoi ne sais-je pas l'étymologie des mots que j'utilise? I may speak and write French like a cow, but my English is usually appropriate.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Hey, look at that. I'm using formal and informal language in a post, in a effort to change the tone.

The real problem is Topper, the novice French as a second language speakers here, who adhered to clumsy mission rules surrounding the use of tutois versus vousvois failed to understand that the French people, in general, found missionaries extra weird because we used vousvois all the time. The members tolerated it because they understood it was a mission rule. But if you ask non LDS French it almost sounded as though missionaries were trying to speak like Shakespearean actors—in french.

My limited understanding of Italian is based on the fact my son served there and insists they were expected to use informal language. As an aside, the also they didn't care about the whole kissing on the cheek thing there iether. We went to Italy and picked him up at the end of his mission, the missionaries were regularly greeted with kisses everywhere we went. That was a big no no in France. < Oooh, more bonafides Art!
              The mission rules against using informal "you" is insane. Germans looked at missionaries using formal you as insane idiots. What you vousvois each other and you are with each other 24/7? Do you hate each other? Nobody has ever explained the origin of that idiotic rule.

I wonder if Japanese speaking missionaries are required to use Formal instead of Plain form with their companions.
              Last edited by Topper; 11-10-2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

The mission rules against using informal "you" is insane. Germans looked at missionaries using formal you as insane idiots. What you vousvois each other and you are with each other 24/7? Do you hate each other? Nobody has ever explained the origin of that idiotic rule.

I wonder if Japanese speaking missionaries are required to use Formal instead of Plain form with their companions.
                A Japanese speaking missionary probably only masters familiar form barely in time before he goes home, if ever.

Comment

Pourquoi ne sais-je pas l'étymologie des mots que j'utilise? I may speak and write French like a cow, but my English is usually appropriate.
                  I would say your english is excellent; much better than mine. I am far too conversational in tone.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    A Japanese speaking missionary probably only masters familiar form barely in time before he goes home, if ever.
                    I would think so as well, but don't really know. Lebowski would know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                      See what happens when we try to talk sports on this message board. We confound yewts.

Comment

Is it because a gaijin learning and speaking Japanese doesn't hear Plain form? The pattern doesn't seem that difficult. Or is it the situational use that is difficult to master?

Comment

Is it because a gaijin learning and speaking Japanese doesn't hear Plain form? The pattern doesn't seem that difficult. Or is it the situational use that is difficult to master?
                          I'm exaggerating a little. It's not that difficult. You learn to understand it. But because you don't speak in it regularly, you don't really master it to the point it can flow off your tongue easily.

Comment

• This is turning into a thread killer.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I'm exaggerating a little. It's not that difficult. You learn to understand it. But because you don't speak in it regularly, you don't really master it to the point it can flow off your tongue easily.
                              Are you discouraged from using it among yourselves?
                              Last edited by Topper; 11-10-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                This is turning into a thread killer.
                                Linguistics is far more interesting than discussing BYU football. We shall see with bball.

Comment

Working...
                                X