2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I was especially pleased that they were able to win through good defense and FT shooting when nothing else was working right. I believe we were 25-27 from FT; I'm hoping this is back to being a strength for us as it seemed like our FT shooting kept letting us down the last two seasons.

After the Yoeli got tripled the first couple times down the floor, he seemed to stop working to get the ball in the post and the team stopped working to get it to him. Also, only one offensive RB So, some definite areas to improve but I think it was a great win and I'm very happy with it.
    That is cool you were able to attend. How far away is it? How long did it take you to get there?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Missed the game. But based on what I have read and based on what I saw earlier in the season, it looks like we are materially better on defense. That is awesome. But that's also frustrating, thinking back to how bad we've sucked on D in recent years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        That is cool you were able to attend. How far away is it? How long did it take you to get there?
        Only about an hour train ride from Penn. The return schedule train schedule was not helpful; hourly service with a train leaving at 9:05 right before the game ended. So that extra hour combined with getting back to the city after express subway service ended got me home after midnight. But it was worth it.

I haven't been able to make a WCC road game, so this was my first experience with BYU in a "high school" gym.

Comment

1. Lack of production at the five will be the death knell against better teams. It almost cost them last night. They desperately need rebounding help: maybe a three-headed monster in the form of Worthington, Shaw and Andrus going forward (assuming both Shaw and Andrus can get healthy) will do the trick? I’d like to say I’m still buying Dastrup, but … I’m just not sure what is going on with him.
          2. Dalton Nixon is the MVP of this team, but he will not be able to do what they are asking him to do for an entire season.
          3. Until the five position gets sorted out, Childs is going to be double, if not triple teamed all season, and we will see many more disappointing games from him like we saw last night.
          4. I reiterate what I said last season: Bryant is the best player on this team.
          5. Haws can’t guard a garden gnome and would likely foul out trying. That being said, he is making strides, especially effort wise. He has matured this season and seems to understand better where to pick his spots. After sitting for 7 or 8 minutes—which is notable for the fact, during the most important stretch of the second half, not a single Lone Peak 3 super star was on the floor—when he came in the game he was clutch. BYU doesn’t win without his offensive aggressiveness, cold and coming off the bench. That was impressive.
          6. Jashire got schooled at times by bigger, less talented players with better basketball IQ’s, and that’s frustrating, but not as frustrating as his seeming lack of confidence by not taking shots when he was open. There were bright spots in his game; moments where he attacked the rim and played good defense. I guess the inconsistency is to be expected.
          7. Brown is what he is at this point, and it may be just as well to throw Bergersen out there for the same spot duty.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
            1. Lack of production at the five will be the death knell against better teams. It almost cost them last night. They desperately need rebounding help: maybe a three-headed monster in the form of Worthington, Shaw and Andrus going forward (assuming both Shaw and Andrus can get healthy) will do the trick? I’d like to say I’m still buying Dastrup, but … I’m just not sure what is going on with him.
            2. Dalton Nixon is the MVP of this team, but he will not be able to do what they are asking him to do for an entire season.
            3. Until the five position gets sorted out, Childs is going to be double, if not triple teamed all season, and we will see many more disappointing games from him like we saw last night.
            4. I reiterate what I said last season: Bryant is the best player on this team.
            5. Haws can’t guard a garden gnome and would likely foul out trying. That being said, he is making strides, especially effort wise. He has matured this season and seems to understand better where to pick his spots. After sitting for 7 or 8 minutes—which is notable for the fact, during the most important stretch of the second half, not a single Lone Peak 3 super star was on the floor—when he came in the game he was clutch. BYU doesn’t win without his offensive aggressiveness, cold and coming off the bench. That was impressive.
            6. Jashire got schooled at times by bigger, less talented players with better basketball IQ’s, and that’s frustrating, but not as frustrating as his seeming lack of confidence by not taking shots when he was open. There were bright spots in his game; moments where he attacked the rim and played good defense. I guess the inconsistency is to be expected.
            7. Brown is what he is at this point, and it may be just as well to throw Bergersen out there for the same spot duty.
            8. Seljas was there, hit a couple of shots, played defense, but as I have predicted he didn't change the complexion of the game. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the potential to do so. It will take a little time.

Comment

• Have you seen Jashire shoot? I think I'm okay with him not throwing up the rock.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                Have you seen Jashire shoot? I think I'm okay with him not throwing up the rock.
                Someone needs to teach him how to set a screen this week. I think he had three fouls on screens last night.

Comment

• Any predictions on UT Arlington?

This isn't the same team that torched BYU last March, but still.

This year's UT Mavericks barely defeated LMU at home.
                  http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400986903
                  Last edited by Topper; 11-17-2017, 05:50 AM.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    Any predictions on UT Arlington?
                    https://youtu.be/lSPNQ82Sq4E

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah
                      Have you seen Jashire shoot? I think I'm okay with him not throwing up the rock.
                      He has hit some shots, but more importantly he has to be a threat of some kind from the outside if he is going to be effective for this team. At this point, there is no one else to fill his role, so he has to step up and take the shot.

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      Someone needs to teach him how to set a screen this week. I think he had three fouls on screens last night.
                      Yah, that obviously was a point of emphasis going into the game, which they called both ways.

Comment

• Is a worse than a third place finish that unthinkable:

https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/932763056882434048

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                          Is a worse than a third place finish that unthinkable:

https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/932763056882434048
                          Great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• So. This team is really not that impressive. Sigh.

Comment

• Losing to Niagara at that half. Being a BYU fan continues to be rough this year.

Comment

• this team is dogshit
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X