No announcement yet.

2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn’t it still about .95 points per possession?

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
      Isn’t it still about .95 points per possession?
      He does it per 100 possessions and has BYU improved from 100.5 points per 100 possessions to 96.7 points per 100 possessions.

Comment

• BYU's rankings as of today:

Pomeroy: 56
        Sagarin: 56
        RPI: 78

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          BYU's rankings as of today:

Pomeroy: 56
          Sagarin: 56
          RPI: 78
          Mid level NIT team.

Goatnapper has often stated BYU's upside is entry level Tourney team with an occasional victory in the first round. Seeing that glass ceiling being lowered to a mid level NIT team is frustrating though.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Mid level NIT team.

Goatnapper has often stated BYU's upside is entry level Tourney team with an occasional victory in the first round. Seeing that glass ceiling being lowered to a mid level NIT team is frustrating though.
            and yet, BYU would be 17-2 right now except for one missed open shot by Seljaas and a made shot by Seljaas that was .1 second too late. Pretty weird. The numbers can still change by the end of the season. BYU has gone to the NCAA tournament 3 times since Jimmer left, and none of those times were they on track to make it in early/mid January, at least not in the minds of casual observers. They have a lot of work left to do, no doubt, but they do seem to be getting better. Who knows, maybe they can somehow surprise at the conference tournament. For all the criticism they get over not winning one, most seem to forget they do tend to get to the championship game fairly often and then lose there. I'm old enough to remember Ladell Andersen's teams that could never even get out of the first round of the WAC tournament.
            Last edited by BlueK; 01-15-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              and yet, BYU would be 17-2 right now except for one missed open shot by Seljaas and a made shot by Seljaas that was .1 second too late. Pretty weird. The numbers can still change by the end of the season. BYU has gone to the NCAA tournament 3 times since Jimmer left, and none of those times were they on track to make it in early/mid January, at least not in the minds of casual observers. They have a lot of work left to do, no doubt, but they do seem to be getting better. Who knows, maybe they can somehow surprise at the conference tournament. For all the criticism they get over not winning one, most seem to forget they do tend to get to the championship game fairly often and then lose there. I'm old enough to remember Ladell Andersen's teams that could never even get out of the first round of the WAC tournament.
              But they could have just as easily lost the game against UMass (and maybe others), so it's not necessarily that they've just been unlucky in close games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                But they could have just as easily lost the game against UMass (and maybe others), so it's not necessarily that they've just been unlucky in close games.

Yeah, I think this conversation comes up for every team in every sport every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

UMass is about the only one so far where you could make that case, maybe Princeton. Both were pretty early in the season. I do think how we took control of the UMass game in the last six minutes or so was pretty important to how the team played in many subsequent games.

Comment

Mid level NIT team.

So - when you say glass ceiling, are you talking about their ceiling for THIS season? Because I interpret the "upside is entry level Tourney team with an occasional victory in the first round" as referring to seasons in general - not this season. (unless you can win "an occasional victory in the first round" in one season...which would be cool.)

It sure seems like you've decided that this season represents the best that BYU can ever hope for. Now - I know that you tend to see the sky falling, so having you post that this team is a mid-round NIT team doesn't surprise. But to say that mid-round NIT is the ceiling for BYU as a program seems pretty "someone peed in my cheerios" even for you.

Comment

Mid level NIT team.

Teams in the 50s in these are usually 1-3 seeded in the NIT. Not that it matters. I'm not a big NIT guy.

http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/
                      Last edited by BlueK; 01-16-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• LOL @ talking sports with Topper.

Comment

• BYU #54 this morning on Pomeroy: 84 on offense, 39 on defense.

Comment

• A double block by Yoeli is called a foul. ugh.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• They sure are toppering this 2nd half.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                                They sure are toppering this 2nd half.
                                It was an uninspired second half.

Comment

Working...
                                X