2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
    There’s been a lot of talk that BYU is better defensively than it was last year. This isn’t true. I was worried about the continuity offense. It isn’t working. Some of our best scorers can’t get shots they can hit in this offense. The continuity offense has killed TJ and Seljaas on offense. I like Schroyer but the two major things he did aren’t any better than where we were last year. Mika and Nick being gone is hurting us too. We are young. No multi year starters at the start of the season. We aren’t worse than last year but we also aren’t better. We need to play better D and we need to score in transition more this tempo sucks.
    Agree 100%.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

There’s been a lot of talk that BYU is better defensively than it was last year. This isn’t true. I was worried about the continuity offense. It isn’t working. Some of our best scorers can’t get shots they can hit in this offense. The continuity offense has killed TJ and Seljaas on offense. I like Schroyer but the two major things he did aren’t any better than where we were last year. Mika and Nick being gone is hurting us too. We are young. No multi year starters at the start of the season. We aren’t worse than last year but we also aren’t better. We need to play better D and we need to score in transition more this tempo sucks.
      I think the talent this year is not better and likely worse, but the results are better. So I say the changes have been good, overall. I think you're right that largely it's a tempo change. The D efficiency doesn't appear to be much better. We just hold onto the ball longer, so there are fewer total possessions. I think with out of control players like Haws and Emery, the strategy this year is better than what we were doing. What's a little strange is that I always lauded Rose as a great coach, and the transition O is what basically has defined him. He brought in Shroyer and completely dropped his identity, and it appears to be working better. I guess it makes me wonder how good Rose really has ever been.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        Agree 100%.
        Our defense ranking on KenPom for the season so far is actually better than last year, FWIW (#49 vs. #87). Offense is slightly worse.
        Last edited by BlueK; 01-09-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Watching the game on my BYUTV app on my firestick today, which tends to run 30-60 seconds or so behind, so would appreciate it if, when something exciting happens, you wait about 30 seconds before posting. Thanks.

Comment

• The Lone Peak 0 with another single digit night and another bad night from the arc. Might be time to move him to the bench to see if he can gain some confidence against the backups. He clearly needs to learn how to move without the ball, as he’s no good off the dribble at this level.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
              Watching the game on my BYUTV app on my firestick today, which tends to run 30-60 seconds or so behind, so would appreciate it if, when something exciting happens, you wait about 30 seconds before posting. Thanks.
              BYU won

(I waited 60 seconds to post this)
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                BYU won

(I waited 60 seconds to post this)
                I appreciate it.

Comment

• BYU just finished its best half of the season, shooting lights out with decent D—up 46-28. As usual, Cougar fans comprise around 60% of the crowd.

Comment

• Does anyone really believe this year’s defense is better than last year’s? Our tempo is slower but people shoot fairly well against us and we don’t turn them over often. I see a different defense with a lot of fake action but I don’t see it as more effective.

Comment

Does anyone really believe this year’s defense is better than last year’s? Our tempo is slower but people shoot fairly well against us and we don’t turn them over often. I see a different defense with a lot of fake action but I don’t see it as more effective.
                      I don't know, but I think the team's chemistry is definitely better.

Comment

Does anyone really believe this year’s defense is better than last year’s? Our tempo is slower but people shoot fairly well against us and we don’t turn them over often. I see a different defense with a lot of fake action but I don’t see it as more effective.
                        Yeah, I think it is quite a bit better.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Yeah, I think it is quite a bit better.
                          Based on rankings or something? Fg% seems about the same. Teams are still getting threes off. We don’t turn them over more. What’s better?

Comment

Based on rankings or something? Fg% seems about the same. Teams are still getting threes off. We don’t turn them over more. What’s better?
                            Our defense.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• KenPom’s adjusted defense stat says we have improved from 87th best defensive team in the country last year to 41st best defensive team this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                KenPom’s adjusted defense stat says we have improved from 87th best defensive team in the country last year to 41st best defensive team this season.
                                Which is based on points per possession compared to what everyone else is doing. So something is better relative to the rest of the country. The defensive philosophy is now based on allowing fewer attempts from three, and that seems to be happening. Sometimes it sells out to allowing a 2pt shot as a result, but so be it. Last year everyone was making way more threes than us and we were mostly only responding with 2s.
                                Last edited by BlueK; 01-14-2018, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X