No announcement yet.

2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last two games Haws is 6/10 from three and 9/18 overall. He has had some sets of games before this one where he shot better only to slump back. On December 21st and 23rd against Idaho State and Texas Southern he combined for 9/17 from the field, and December 6th and 9th against Illinois State and Weber State he combined for 15/28 from the field. Hopefully this time his shooting stays good.

A few others have mentioned, but Haws has clearly improved his game in pretty much everything other than shooting this year. If his better shooting of the last couple of games can stick and he can be a more reliable scorer the rest of the season, it bodes well for what this team can do from here on out. I know it "feels" perhaps like they haven't lived up to where some of us would like them to be right now, but 16-4 is not bad. We haven't had a record that good after 20 games since 2012. 2 of those losses were on the very last play. Yes, I know maybe the expected response to that is to look for how many wins could have gone the other way, but UMass is about the only one where you can really go there. And that was pretty early in the year. It was a nice win because the team needed to play great for the last five or six minutes to pull that one out. I think there was some pretty wide variation among the fans as to what to expect this year, but 16-4 is not anywhere near the dumpster fire category a few fans were fearing.

Also, SMC gutting it out to win at Gonzaga last night was impressive. But they actually came closer to losing to us than to the Zags. The Pacific game of course sucks, but they've at least been playing very well since that game. They may actually be emerging as the 4th team in the league. We'll see how it goes. USD is struggling of late, but if we see a strong performance tomorrow, I like where this team can still go, especially if Nixon can come back soon.
    Last edited by BlueK; 01-19-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• I've been down on Haws. I honestly think he's been a bit of a head case. Last night he played well. I'm hoping it's a sign that he's working through whatever issues he needs to, be that team dynamics or whatever else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        I've been down on Haws. I honestly think he's been a bit of a head case. Last night he played well. I'm hoping it's a sign that he's working through whatever issues he needs to, be that team dynamics or whatever else.
        He seems to be taking better shots, for starters. Not forcing it quite so much.

I hope he keeps it up. We need him.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• It seems like he used to get a lot of calls on his drives last year that he's not getting this year.

Comment

• I had no idea Dastrup could get up like he did on thunder jam toward the end of the first half.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              I had no idea Dastrup could get up like he did on thunder jam toward the end of the first half.
              He has more spring than I would have imagined.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                It was an uninspired second half.
                ? Isn't that what I already said?

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                  ? Isn't that what I already said?
                  Great minds think alike?
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Saint Mary's followed up their win in the Kennel on Thursday by surviving in a 3 point win at Pacific last night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      Saint Mary's followed up their win in the Kennel on Thursday by surviving in a 3 point win at Pacific last night.
                      Pacific is better than people thought.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                        Pacific is better than people thought.
                        They're playing well now and establishing themselves as the 4th team this year. It's just too bad they got off to a slow start which means their overall numbers are not going to be as good as their team actually is at the end of the season.

Comment

• Seljaas was so horrible tonight. He has been a major disappointment this season/

Comment

• That was a nice win. Wonderful atmosphere in the MC tonight.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Even though we benefitted from the officials in the second half, they were still terrible.

I’ve always liked Stoudamire. Seems like a players coach.

I love it when Rose gets pissed.

TJ needs to be sharp. Dude is such a wild card.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• UT-Arlington has actually turned out to be a mediocre team with a 166 RPI and sitting at 6th place in their conference after another loss tonight. BYU is by far their best win this season.

So those are the 2 bad losses for the Cougs this season: Pacific and UTA.

Comment

Working...
                                X