Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 541 to 552 of 552

Thread: 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

  1. #541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Davies plays for the top Lithuanian team and they actually play in Euroleague. Which outside the NBA is the top league in the world. They play Euroleague games during the week and then their own league games on weekends. Future #1 pick Luka Doncic plays for Real Madrid in the Euroleague. The team the Ball bros are playing on plays in the LKL which is a respectable league, however the Ball bros won't play for them during LKL games. They are playing for them during Baltic league games. To bring this thread back to BYU... The Baltic league MVP in 2011-12 was BYUs own Rashaun Broadus. Rashaun had career averages of 8 points and 3 assists at BYU, but was the best player in the Baltic league for several years. He left the Baltic League for a more lucrative offer playing for the national basketball league of Canada.

    My point is the Ball Brothers are essentially playing in the YMCA of Lithuania.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  2. #542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I agree and don't think they'll last a month, but JV disagrees. Also, calling it now: one the Balls ends up on the Utes roster (with some kind of waiver) before it's all said and done.

    Last edited by tooblue; 12-13-2017 at 07:48 AM.

  3. #543
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,379

    Default

    The way that Lavarr has destroyed his kids' future is unforgivable. I used to hate the whole bunch of them, but now I feel sorry for the boys. Someday they are going to hate him, if they don't already.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  4. #544

    Default

    Interesting turn of events. It makes sense, logically, for a guy like their youngest who is on possible track to be NBA star and is so far advanced past his peers. He'll get better training, coaching, and game experience in the 16-19 year old time range. But at a big emotional cost. I wonder if we'll see this more often. Or maybe, the US will developer clubs/schools/leagues like the Euro's have.

  5. #545
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Interesting turn of events. It makes sense, logically, for a guy like their youngest who is on possible track to be NBA star and is so far advanced past his peers. He'll get better training, coaching, and game experience in the 16-19 year old time range. But at a big emotional cost. I wonder if we'll see this more often. Or maybe, the US will developer clubs/schools/leagues like the Euro's have.
    This is a joke, right?
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  6. #546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This is a joke, right?
    uh, no. why?

  7. #547
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,454

    Default

    That's what they do for hockey as well.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_ice_hockey

  8. #548
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    uh, no. why?
    Let's see:

    Lavar messes up Lonzo's chance at a real sneaker contract in the NBA and is meddling to badly that the coaching staff had to bring him in and tell him to back off. That will most likely pull Lonzo's market value way down when his contract is up.

    Lavar pulls son #2 out of UCLA where he had a full-ride scholarship at a world-class university. This kid is not as good as Lonzo and his path to the NBA is in even greater doubt now. What NBA team would take a chance on a kid with that much baggage?

    Son #3 is not very good. Skinny little kid who only put up those numbers because Lavar got the coach to game the system so his kid could put up a million shots. His shooting percentage was not good. Now he does not have an opportunity for a college scholarship and he is playing for peanuts in Lithuania.

    This is not clever or innovative, nor is it in their best interest. Lavar is single-handedly destroying his kids' futures.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  9. #549
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,379
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  10. #550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Let's see:

    Lavar messes up Lonzo's chance at a real sneaker contract in the NBA and is meddling to badly that the coaching staff had to bring him in and tell him to back off. That will most likely pull Lonzo's market value way down when his contract is up.

    Lavar pulls son #2 out of UCLA where he had a full-ride scholarship at a world-class university. This kid is not as good as Lonzo and his path to the NBA is in even greater doubt now. What NBA team would take a chance on a kid with that much baggage?

    Son #3 is not very good. Skinny little kid who only put up those numbers because Lavar got the coach to game the system so his kid could put up a million shots. His shooting percentage was not good. Now he does not have an opportunity for a college scholarship and he is playing for peanuts in Lithuania.

    This is not clever or innovative, nor is it in their best interest. Lavar is single-handedly destroying his kids' futures.
    OK. I was talking more in theory about the concept of taking a 16 year old NBA prospect out of the US system and into the Euro system, where they could arguably have accelerated basketball training during that time period that would cover a kid's high school and college career. My comment is that it might be a better basketball decision, but it would come with mental and emotional cost.

    As for the specific application here to the Balls. For son #2, I agree. For son #3, I was assuming he was the best prospect of the three and was considered a safe bet as future lottery pick. I guess I'm wrong. Haven't paid that much attention.

  11. #551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    OK. I was talking more in theory about the concept of taking a 16 year old NBA prospect out of the US system and into the Euro system, where they could arguably have accelerated basketball training during that time period that would cover a kid's high school and college career. My comment is that it might be a better basketball decision, but it would come with mental and emotional cost.

    As for the specific application here to the Balls. For son #2, I agree. For son #3, I was assuming he was the best prospect of the three and was considered a safe bet as future lottery pick. I guess I'm wrong. Haven't paid that much attention.
    Yeah the third Ball boy (LaMelo) is a legit star (ranked #7 in ESPN's rankings of 2019 recruits).

    The second Ball boy (LiAngelo), the shoplifter, is the one who is not an NBA prospect: Utah and BYU routinely sign higher ranked prospects than LiAngelo. The decision to pull him out of UCLA to get training for a future basketball career was stupid.

    The first Ball boy (Lonzo) was also highly rated coming out of high school: the 4th rated prospect by ESPN.

  12. #552
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Let's see:

    Lavar messes up Lonzo's chance at a real sneaker contract in the NBA and is meddling to badly that the coaching staff had to bring him in and tell him to back off. That will most likely pull Lonzo's market value way down when his contract is up.

    Lavar pulls son #2 out of UCLA where he had a full-ride scholarship at a world-class university. This kid is not as good as Lonzo and his path to the NBA is in even greater doubt now. What NBA team would take a chance on a kid with that much baggage?

    Son #3 is not very good. Skinny little kid who only put up those numbers because Lavar got the coach to game the system so his kid could put up a million shots. His shooting percentage was not good. Now he does not have an opportunity for a college scholarship and he is playing for peanuts in Lithuania.

    This is not clever or innovative, nor is it in their best interest. Lavar is single-handedly destroying his kids' futures.
    Agree except about Lonzo’s future contract. His play for the Lakers will largely set his value in the NBA. His daddy issues will only affect the minor margins after a couple of
    years.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •