2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    I don't see Baxter as a big upgrade on any of our current players. He'll be interesting to see how he develops. He's very different than the type of player we usually recruit. Crazy hops and explosive athleticism. But then also not as polished or the high basketball IQ you expect from a typical white Mormon recruit.
    Won't that add significantly on the defensive end? Or are you stating his lack of good basketball IQ will prevent him from contributing on the defensive end?

I have heard continuously about his explosive athleticism, and hoped that might get BYU into the bubble or slightly past the bubble team area.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I don't see Baxter as a big upgrade on any of our current players. He'll be interesting to see how he develops. He's very different than the type of player we usually recruit. Crazy hops and explosive athleticism. But then also not as polished or the high basketball IQ you expect from a typical white Mormon recruit.

Anyway. The loss hurt, but I was encouraged by the game. I wasn't sure how good we were, but that game answered a lot. We didn't play our best and should have or at least had a great shot to beat a very good St Mary's team. We need Haws or Seljaas to be on to be really good, and they weren't, yet we were right there.
      His mother is black. Former star athlete on the BYU track team.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        His mother is black. Former star athlete on the BYU track team.
        Oops. Well, no wonder he can jump.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          Won't that add significantly on the defensive end? Or are you stating his lack of good basketball IQ will prevent him from contributing on the defensive end?

I have heard continuously about his explosive athleticism, and hoped that might get BYU into the bubble or slightly past the bubble team area.
          I don't expect him to fail in any area. I just don't think he's obviously better than our existing talent. Like other recruits, he has strengths and weaknesses. I think he will be interesting player in that his strengths and weaknesses are different than what we might expect from our white, Mormon recruiting base.

Comment

I don't expect him to fail in any area. I just don't think he's obviously better than our existing talent. Like other recruits, he has strengths and weaknesses. I think he will be interesting player in that his strengths and weaknesses are different than what we might expect from our white, Mormon recruiting base.
            He sounds a bit like Travis Hansen then, athletic, long and something that good teams often have.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

He sounds a bit like Travis Hansen then, athletic, long and something that good teams often have.
              Uh oh. Time for SMR to change his name again?

Comment

Anyway. The loss hurt, but I was encouraged by the game. I wasn't sure how good we were, but that game answered a lot. We didn't play our best and should have or at least had a great shot to beat a very good St Mary's team. We need Haws or Seljaas to be on to be really good, and they weren't, yet we were right there.
                Funny thing is that if Seljaas makes one wide open shot at the very end, the conversation here is completely different.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  Funny thing is that if Seljaas makes one wide open shot at the very end, the conversation here is completely different.
                  Or if Cannon makes one or two free throws. It is unnerving to see guards miss two consecutive free throws. Not asking them to make a difficult shot, just two shots from the charity stripe.

Comment

• That was a tough loss. I have yet to spend much time looking at the box score but from being there I felt like it was a good defensive gameplan. It seemed to me I felt that BYU did enough defensively to win the game. They defended Landale 1-1 and then brought in a guard to harass. We forced quite a few turnovers when St Mary's spacing allowed the guard to harass - when they spaced properly they usually scored. St Mary's is a good team but not a real good team. They will be a 10-12 seed and will likely be eliminated in the first round. We are heading to the NIT and IMO that is where I think we will deserve to be. St Mary's did enough to beat us but they failed to execute on quite a few occassions we just failed to execute a few more times. I thought offensively everyone but Elijah and Yoeli look timid or scared or just uncomfortable. I hope this works itself out. I still think the talent is there but for BYU to make the jump to a good team they are going to need more offensively from their supporting cast. TJ, Seljaas and Dastrup need to find a way to give the club 20 points per game between the 3 of them. They have that type of ability just need to find themselves. To me that is the key to whether or not BYU can make the jump.

In many ways it was a really fun game despite the sucky ending - well actually the sucky execution for the last 9 minutes of the game on the offensive end. Perhaps Yoeli got tired? I don't know. This team is much better than last year but it isn't yet a tourney team and barring some improbable wins the rest of the year won't make the dance.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Or if Cannon makes one or two free throws. It is unnerving to see guards miss two consecutive free throws. Not asking them to make a difficult shot, just two shots from the charity stripe.
                      TPOTSR (The pride of the Shelley Russets) is starting to find where he really is as a player. He is better than a Cusick but he is certainly not as good as Trent Whiting. Probably about as good as Sam Burgess was. A solid back up for BYU but not a difference maker. I thought his high mark would be those first couple of games.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        That was a tough loss. I have yet to spend much time looking at the box score but from being there I felt like it was a good defensive gameplan. It seemed to me I felt that BYU did enough defensively to win the game. They defended Landale 1-1 and then brought in a guard to harass. We forced quite a few turnovers when St Mary's spacing allowed the guard to harass - when they spaced properly they usually scored. St Mary's is a good team but not a real good team. They will be a 10-12 seed and will likely be eliminated in the first round. We are heading to the NIT and IMO that is where I think we will deserve to be. St Mary's did enough to beat us but they failed to execute on quite a few occassions we just failed to execute a few more times. I thought offensively everyone but Elijah and Yoeli look timid or scared or just uncomfortable. I hope this works itself out. I still think the talent is there but for BYU to make the jump to a good team they are going to need more offensively from their supporting cast. TJ, Seljaas and Dastrup need to find a way to give the club 20 points per game between the 3 of them. They have that type of ability just need to find themselves. To me that is the key to whether or not BYU can make the jump.

In many ways it was a really fun game despite the sucky ending - well actually the sucky execution for the last 9 minutes of the game on the offensive end. Perhaps Yoeli got tired? I don't know. This team is much better than last year but it isn't yet a tourney team and barring some improbable wins the rest of the year won't make the dance.
                        I think we are a legit bubble team. The difference between this team and the last few years is that I really believe they have the ability to handle their business with everyone else on the schedule outside of Gonzaga and SMC. It is probably more likely than not that we drop one or two road games to other WCC teams. But it is not inconceivable that they run the table against the others in the conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          That was a tough loss. I have yet to spend much time looking at the box score but from being there I felt like it was a good defensive gameplan. It seemed to me I felt that BYU did enough defensively to win the game. They defended Landale 1-1 and then brought in a guard to harass. We forced quite a few turnovers when St Mary's spacing allowed the guard to harass - when they spaced properly they usually scored. St Mary's is a good team but not a real good team. They will be a 10-12 seed and will likely be eliminated in the first round. We are heading to the NIT and IMO that is where I think we will deserve to be. St Mary's did enough to beat us but they failed to execute on quite a few occassions we just failed to execute a few more times. I thought offensively everyone but Elijah and Yoeli look timid or scared or just uncomfortable. I hope this works itself out. I still think the talent is there but for BYU to make the jump to a good team they are going to need more offensively from their supporting cast. TJ, Seljaas and Dastrup need to find a way to give the club 20 points per game between the 3 of them. They have that type of ability just need to find themselves. To me that is the key to whether or not BYU can make the jump.

It might help if they can be ready to shoot the open 3 in rhythm when the pass comes from inside out. Both Haws and Seljaas seem a bit too deferential.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            I think we are a legit bubble team. The difference between this team and the last few years is that I really believe they have the ability to handle their business with everyone else on the schedule outside of Gonzaga and SMC. It is probably more likely than not that we drop one or two road games to other WCC teams. But it is not inconceivable that they run the table against the others in the conference.
                            To me that is a great indicator - can we get consistent and stop losing to teams that we should not lose to. The next step after that is beating good teams.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              It might help if they can be ready to shoot the open 3 in rhythm when the pass comes from inside out. Both Haws and Seljaas seem a bit too deferential.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              I agree. The only two who look comfortable are Yoeli and Elijah.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Furthermore, SMC is very young and may improve its defensive efficiency over the course of the season. Right now, is a good time for BYU to be facing off against SMC.
                                SMC is actually a pretty veteran team in terms of their most important guys. Naar, Landale and Hermanson are seniors and they bring another senior (Neal) off the bench. They do also have some young players who contribute, but it's hard not to think they'll have to rebuild a bit next year since three of those seniors are pretty major parts of the team.
                                Last edited by BlueK; 01-02-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X