Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 421 to 447 of 447

Thread: 2017-2018 BYU hoops........

  1. #421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Someone on twitter said it was 2:1 BYU to Princeton fans
    Nice. I love that.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  2. #422
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,027

    Default





    Lol @ the Ivy League.
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  3. #423
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I see a lot of BYU gear in the crowd. Are there more BYU fans than Princeton fans?
    Probably 60/40 Princeton. The side behind the benches was mostly byu, and the other side was mostly Princeton but had an upper level.

  4. #424
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Proonanly 40/60 BYU. The side behind the benches was mostly byu, and the other side was mostly Princeton but had an upper level.
    Princeton fans were commending BYU for its defense. I only listened and did not watch. What was your impression?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  5. #425
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Someone on twitter said it was 2:1 BYU to Princeton fans
    That someone is wrong.

  6. #426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Princeton fans were commending BYU for its defense. I only listened and did not watch. What was your impression?
    72 possessions for Princeton, 56 points. According to how Pomeroy calculates this stuff that is very good defense. I also watched, and the D also passed the eyeball test. Few open shots for either team really.

  7. #427
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Princeton fans were commending BYU for its defense. I only listened and did not watch. What was your impression?
    Defense was actually good. Everyone was moving their feet well and taking away penetration much better than last year. Gave them too many open 3s but they closed our much better than last year. The big problem was not rebounding after forcing them into a contested 3.

  8. #428
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    19,533

    Default



    Didn't see any of it but glad they won. This won't be a great team, but they will be good...but mostly I just want them to be fun to watch. Last year was brutal. Looks like they mean to compete this year.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  9. #429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post




    Lol @ the Ivy League.
    My favorite ivy league student dynamic. Student arrives freshman year -> realizes they are in bottom part of the distribution -> reformulates life plan (the one carefully crafted for them by their parents) -> major in religion (usually NT studies) -> now s/he can spend next four years drunk -> downside, end up getting a job in economic consulting.

  10. #430

    Default

    drinking your way into a consulting gig at bcg doesn’t sound so bad.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  11. #431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    drinking your way into a consulting gig at bcg doesn’t sound so bad.
    The ones that can't, go to law school. It all works out.

  12. #432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    The ones that can't, go to law school. It all works out.
    agree. ranking imo:

    hedge fund > pe > ib > mbb > accenture tier > biglaw > b4
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  13. #433
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    My favorite ivy league student dynamic. Student arrives freshman year -> realizes they are in bottom part of the distribution -> reformulates life plan (the one carefully crafted for them by their parents) -> major in religion (usually NT studies) -> now s/he can spend next four years drunk -> downside, end up getting a job in economic consulting.
    lol
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  14. #434
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,460

    Default

    I was especially pleased that they were able to win through good defense and FT shooting when nothing else was working right. I believe we were 25-27 from FT; I'm hoping this is back to being a strength for us as it seemed like our FT shooting kept letting us down the last two seasons.

    After the Yoeli got tripled the first couple times down the floor, he seemed to stop working to get the ball in the post and the team stopped working to get it to him. Also, only one offensive RB So, some definite areas to improve but I think it was a great win and I'm very happy with it.

  15. #435
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    My favorite ivy league student dynamic. Student arrives freshman year -> realizes they are in bottom part of the distribution -> reformulates life plan (the one carefully crafted for them by their parents) -> major in religion (usually NT studies) -> now s/he can spend next four years drunk -> downside, end up getting a job in economic consulting.
    Ivy League is not the only place one's future plans are significantly altered when one discovers they are not nearly as capable as previously thought!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  16. #436
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    44,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I was especially pleased that they were able to win through good defense and FT shooting when nothing else was working right. I believe we were 25-27 from FT; I'm hoping this is back to being a strength for us as it seemed like our FT shooting kept letting us down the last two seasons.

    After the Yoeli got tripled the first couple times down the floor, he seemed to stop working to get the ball in the post and the team stopped working to get it to him. Also, only one offensive RB So, some definite areas to improve but I think it was a great win and I'm very happy with it.
    That is cool you were able to attend. How far away is it? How long did it take you to get there?
    "Socialism is not bad IMHO" - byu71
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

  17. #437

    Default

    Missed the game. But based on what I have read and based on what I saw earlier in the season, it looks like we are materially better on defense. That is awesome. But that's also frustrating, thinking back to how bad we've sucked on D in recent years.

  18. #438
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That is cool you were able to attend. How far away is it? How long did it take you to get there?
    Only about an hour train ride from Penn. The return schedule train schedule was not helpful; hourly service with a train leaving at 9:05 right before the game ended. So that extra hour combined with getting back to the city after express subway service ended got me home after midnight. But it was worth it.

    I haven't been able to make a WCC road game, so this was my first experience with BYU in a "high school" gym.

  19. #439

    Default

    1. Lack of production at the five will be the death knell against better teams. It almost cost them last night. They desperately need rebounding help: maybe a three-headed monster in the form of Worthington, Shaw and Andrus going forward (assuming both Shaw and Andrus can get healthy) will do the trick? I’d like to say I’m still buying Dastrup, but … I’m just not sure what is going on with him.
    2. Dalton Nixon is the MVP of this team, but he will not be able to do what they are asking him to do for an entire season.
    3. Until the five position gets sorted out, Childs is going to be double, if not triple teamed all season, and we will see many more disappointing games from him like we saw last night.
    4. I reiterate what I said last season: Bryant is the best player on this team.
    5. Haws can’t guard a garden gnome and would likely foul out trying. That being said, he is making strides, especially effort wise. He has matured this season and seems to understand better where to pick his spots. After sitting for 7 or 8 minutes—which is notable for the fact, during the most important stretch of the second half, not a single Lone Peak 3 super star was on the floor—when he came in the game he was clutch. BYU doesn’t win without his offensive aggressiveness, cold and coming off the bench. That was impressive.
    6. Jashire got schooled at times by bigger, less talented players with better basketball IQ’s, and that’s frustrating, but not as frustrating as his seeming lack of confidence by not taking shots when he was open. There were bright spots in his game; moments where he attacked the rim and played good defense. I guess the inconsistency is to be expected.
    7. Brown is what he is at this point, and it may be just as well to throw Bergersen out there for the same spot duty.

  20. #440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    1. Lack of production at the five will be the death knell against better teams. It almost cost them last night. They desperately need rebounding help: maybe a three-headed monster in the form of Worthington, Shaw and Andrus going forward (assuming both Shaw and Andrus can get healthy) will do the trick? I’d like to say I’m still buying Dastrup, but … I’m just not sure what is going on with him.
    2. Dalton Nixon is the MVP of this team, but he will not be able to do what they are asking him to do for an entire season.
    3. Until the five position gets sorted out, Childs is going to be double, if not triple teamed all season, and we will see many more disappointing games from him like we saw last night.
    4. I reiterate what I said last season: Bryant is the best player on this team.
    5. Haws can’t guard a garden gnome and would likely foul out trying. That being said, he is making strides, especially effort wise. He has matured this season and seems to understand better where to pick his spots. After sitting for 7 or 8 minutes—which is notable for the fact, during the most important stretch of the second half, not a single Lone Peak 3 super star was on the floor—when he came in the game he was clutch. BYU doesn’t win without his offensive aggressiveness, cold and coming off the bench. That was impressive.
    6. Jashire got schooled at times by bigger, less talented players with better basketball IQ’s, and that’s frustrating, but not as frustrating as his seeming lack of confidence by not taking shots when he was open. There were bright spots in his game; moments where he attacked the rim and played good defense. I guess the inconsistency is to be expected.
    7. Brown is what he is at this point, and it may be just as well to throw Bergersen out there for the same spot duty.
    8. Seljas was there, hit a couple of shots, played defense, but as I have predicted he didn't change the complexion of the game. That doesn't mean he doesn't have the potential to do so. It will take a little time.

  21. #441
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,207

    Default

    Have you seen Jashire shoot? I think I'm okay with him not throwing up the rock.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  22. #442
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Have you seen Jashire shoot? I think I'm okay with him not throwing up the rock.
    Someone needs to teach him how to set a screen this week. I think he had three fouls on screens last night.

  23. #443
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Any predictions on UT Arlington?

    This isn't the same team that torched BYU last March, but still.

    This year's UT Mavericks barely defeated LMU at home.
    http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400986903
    Last edited by Topper; 11-17-2017 at 06:50 AM.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  24. #444
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Any predictions on UT Arlington?
    https://youtu.be/lSPNQ82Sq4E

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  25. #445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah
    Have you seen Jashire shoot? I think I'm okay with him not throwing up the rock.
    He has hit some shots, but more importantly he has to be a threat of some kind from the outside if he is going to be effective for this team. At this point, there is no one else to fill his role, so he has to step up and take the shot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Someone needs to teach him how to set a screen this week. I think he had three fouls on screens last night.
    Yah, that obviously was a point of emphasis going into the game, which they called both ways.

  26. #446

    Default

    Is a worse than a third place finish that unthinkable:

    https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/932763056882434048

  27. #447
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    8,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Is a worse than a third place finish that unthinkable:

    https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/932763056882434048
    Great.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •