2017-2018 BYU hoops........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Even though we benefitted from the officials in the second half, they were still terrible.
    I haven't seen many WCC games (10pm start times!!!) but I watched most fo the game tonight. The refs are beyond horrible. I see better reffing at my son's high school bball games.

Eli is the man.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      UT-Arlington has actually turned out to be a mediocre team with a 166 RPI and sitting at 6th place in their conference after another loss tonight. BYU is by far their best win this season.

So those are the 2 bad losses for the Cougs this season: Pacific and UTA.
      To go along with no real good wins. Not a good recipe for an at large bid

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I haven't seen many WCC games (10pm start times!!!) but I watched most fo the game tonight. The refs are beyond horrible. I see better reffing at my son's high school bball games.

Eli is the man.
        Eli is the man and the refs indeed suck. I feel like they would reward him with more free throws if he wasn't so strong. He plays through body contact going to the hoop so well that the WCC officials won't give him the calls. Has to be frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          Eli is the man and the refs indeed suck. I feel like they would reward him with more free throws if he wasn't so strong. He plays through body contact going to the hoop so well that the WCC officials won't give him the calls. Has to be frustrating.

Not necessarily. TJ, who isn't nearly as strong as Eli, shows the counter example. Doesn't seem to get any calls on the drive. To be fair, he did get a couple of obvious calls last night. First, when he was attacked in the open court. The other was when the UoP player was attempting to prevent TJ from ever having children.
          Last edited by Pelado; 01-28-2018, 10:50 AM.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            To go along with no real good wins. Not a good recipe for an at large bid
            Let's just hope BYU hopes several NIT games before making it to the NIT Final Four. Nothing to be proud of, but maybe enough to build for a possible play-in game for the 2019 season.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              UT-Arlington has actually turned out to be a mediocre team with a 166 RPI and sitting at 6th place in their conference after another loss tonight. BYU is by far their best win this season.

So those are the 2 bad losses for the Cougs this season: Pacific and UTA.
              UTA is a huge disappointment. They were a very good team last year and start all seniors. Not sure if they've had injury issues. That would be the only thing that might explain it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                Let's just hope BYU hopes several NIT games before making it to the NIT Final Four. Nothing to be proud of, but maybe enough to build for a possible play-in game for the 2019 season.
                I think we can do much better than a play in game next year if we can hold the team together for next year. We've been wiping out most of the roster every year for the last four or five years, and it's killed us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                  Why are you so manic-depressive?

I think the Lone Peak 3/big time recruits BYU has had the past few years have underwhelmed to some extent. But saying that if Mika had not gone pro this team would likely be in the NCAA tourney this year and if Mika played at BYU his senior year I think BYU would be likely to win at least one game in the tourney next year. The drum that BlueK keeps beating about roster destruction is salient. I don't know why all the kids transferred but it didn't help and BYU is underperforming the expectations but the frustrating reality is it isn't as bad as one might think. While a black and white analysis has us not making the tourney for the third straight year this team is better than last year by a fairly decent amount and everyone returns next year. Further, they get Nick Emery back and I don't think it odd to think we get a Nick Emery who will be better than the freshman Emery. Everybody should improve a bit with perhaps TJ Haws making a big jump from this year to next. I don't see a Fredette or Ainge type of player, and it might take somebody that good to get BYU to the 2nd weekend so if you wanna be a whining pussie there is always the angle of BYU never doing anything "significant" and by "significant" you can mean sweet 16 or move the goalposts elsewhere if you are a really, really whining pussie, but I think BYU will be experienced and good. If they play a good OOC schedule they should overperform their real capacity because they should not have the growing pains in November and December that less experienced, albeit more talented, teams will endure. Chin up and don't let the fact that your son elected to go to a pussie academy affect your testicular fortitude. The future is pretty bright.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

I went to the Pacific game and it was fun. I still can't understand why those two skinny black fellows thought a high concentration of mormons in one place exposed them to the Swine Flu. Elijah Bryant is a good college basketball player. I overestimated Childs this year and bought into too much of the hype going into the year - as I am prone to do. I do think that next year he will be the player I was expecting this year as he isn't far but he must increase his range a bit, he has hit some threes this year so it is something he improved upon from his FR to SO year and if he can show similar improvement I would expect him to be improved enough that there will be a need to consistently defend him out to the arc, and I expect his offensive efficiency to improve. If there is anyone who can make a big jump I think it should be TJ although his slight frame and fear of contact, to the point it seems he is trying to create it sometimes, might get in the way. But I think the rest will show a gradual improvement and with the return of Emery and a very experienced team I expect a good year.

Good year = good enough that BYU is not on the bubble on selection sunday.

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      I went to the Pacific game and it was fun. I still can't understand why those two skinny black fellows thought a high concentration of mormons in one place exposed them to the Swine Flu. Elijah Bryant is a good college basketball player. I overestimated Childs this year and bought into too much of the hype going into the year - as I am prone to do. I do think that next year he will be the player I was expecting this year as he isn't far but he must increase his range a bit, he has hit some threes this year so it is something he improved upon from his FR to SO year and if he can show similar improvement I would expect him to be improved enough that there will be a need to consistently defend him out to the arc, and I expect his offensive efficiency to improve. If there is anyone who can make a big jump I think it should be TJ although his slight frame and fear of contact, to the point it seems he is trying to create it sometimes, might get in the way. But I think the rest will show a gradual improvement and with the return of Emery and a very experienced team I expect a good year.

Good year = good enough that BYU is not on the bubble on selection sunday.
                      I can't figure out why PDas doesn't see more time on the floor. What am I missing?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        I can't figure out why PDas doesn't see more time on the floor. What am I missing?
                        I am not sure either. I do think I can tell that he is the worst defender in the post of the 4 that play, but I would think his better offensive game than all save Yoeli would get him some minutes. He does appear to loaf a bit to me and that likely infuriates his coaches especially when it results in missed assignments or exposing others to fouls etc.

I would like to think he will earn more minutes more consistently but given how long Nixon was out with an injury and the fact that all are returning for next year I just don't see it anymore. I jumped on his bandwagon earlier this year but I have consigned myself to the reality that if he didn't seize the opportunity while Nixon was injured, he isn't gonna be given a good chance until the year after Worthington is gone. My real complaint with Dastrup is I cannot figure out for the life of me why he wasn't redshirted last year. I don't understand some of those decisions.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• I don't think Eli gets the credit for the season he is having. 51% from the floor, 45% from 3 and 90% from the foul line. His shot selection is damn near perfect, he has done it all within the rhythm of the offense. He is also an absolute bully in the post on that baseline drive.

YO has some stuff to work on, I thought he would struggle against bigger centers this year, but he has remained consistent offensively. Defensively he really should be playing the 4.

Seljaas has been a disappointment because he is asked to play out of position this year. He is playing the 4 and its not his game. Zac is still shooting 48% from the floor and 36% from 3. If TJ had those numbers we would be praising him.

Instead TJ is now shooting under 40%. He is really struggling to find his spot in this offense.

I think our best offensive lineup is TJ, Eli, Zac, Yo, P-Das. Unfortunately that is by far our worst defensive lineup. The best defensive lineup is Jashire, (plug in a subpar defender here whether its TJ or Zac), Eli, Yo and Luke.

Either way we are much better than last year, with the return of Connor Harding (another shooter), and Kolby Lee (another post player) next year should be great.
                          *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            I don't think Eli gets the credit for the season he is having. 51% from the floor, 45% from 3 and 90% from the foul line. His shot selection is damn near perfect, he has done it all within the rhythm of the offense. He is also an absolute bully in the post on that baseline drive.

YO has some stuff to work on, I thought he would struggle against bigger centers this year, but he has remained consistent offensively. Defensively he really should be playing the 4.

Seljaas has been a disappointment because he is asked to play out of position this year. He is playing the 4 and its not his game. Zac is still shooting 48% from the floor and 36% from 3. If TJ had those numbers we would be praising him.

Instead TJ is now shooting under 40%. He is really struggling to find his spot in this offense.

I think our best offensive lineup is TJ, Eli, Zac, Yo, P-Das. Unfortunately that is by far our worst defensive lineup. The best defensive lineup is Jashire, (plug in a subpar defender here whether its TJ or Zac), Eli, Yo and Luke.

Either way we are much better than last year, with the return of Connor Harding (another shooter), and Kolby Lee (another post player) next year should be great.
                            If you take TJ's numbers from the last five games, he has gotten better offensively than he was earlier in the season.

Comment

• Bryant has been incredible.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                Bryant has been incredible.
                                He came from Elon, so he can't be that great. At least that's how the story went when he transferred here and until he got over the injuries.

Comment

Working...
                                X