Pools? jelly bean or rectangle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Mines not a Polaris. It's something else and it runs whenever the pool pump is on.
    We have a separate pump that turns on and drives our Polaris. That way it only runs an hour or so everyday. Otherwise it just sits motionless on the bottom of the pool.

I do all the pool maintenance. It's not hard but just takes time. I'd say I spend 30 mins a week on maintenance and every 3-4 months I have to clean the filters and the salt water chlorination thing. That takes around an hour. The chemicals are easy. MJ does the brushing weekly since she likes the arm workout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      is that what you call the pool boy to make yourself feel better when he's servicing the pool, etc, while you're at work?
      First of all, he's a pool MAN, and second of all, he's incorporated.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Holy crap, pools are expensive. I'm ready to quit my job and move to southern Utah and start installing pools. There is clearly room for competition. I got a proposal on what I thought was a basic pool - rectangular, 18x36, 6 feet deep, hot tub in one corner of the shallow end and little wading area in the other on the same end. I did request an automatic cover, but that was about it.

$63,100. WTF!!
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          Holy crap, pools are expensive. I'm ready to quit my job and move to southern Utah and start installing pools. There is clearly room for competition. I got a proposal on what I thought was a basic pool - rectangular, 18x36, 6 feet deep, hot tub in one corner of the shallow end and little wading area in the other on the same end. I did request an automatic cover, but that was about it.

$63,100. WTF!!

Relax, bro. A pool like that will add like 35k to your property value. It's a smart investment.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

$63,100. WTF!!
            That's similar to my pool, which we put in about a year ago. I think its closer to 18 x 40, and 8 ft. deep to 3 feet range, with a 12-person hot tub. No automatic cover though. I like to see my pool.

If I were you, I'd look into doing an owner-build, which is what I did. Since you're in the construction-ish industry (right?), you'd probably have no problem working directly with the subs. Owner-build will probably save you 30-40%. Lots of the subs will give you a 10% cash discount as well.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

In-floor cleaning systems : good or bad idea?
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

In-floor cleaning systems : good or bad idea?
                I don't have one. I don't know if that they are more effective than the Roomba option, but they certainly cost a lot more. My little auto-cleaner does a good job. I do wish I had something like that in the spa, though. The robot doesn't go in there.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't have one. I don't know if that they are more effective than the Roomba option, but they certainly cost a lot more. My little auto-cleaner does a good job. I do wish I had something like that in the spa, though. The robot doesn't go in there.
                  My Polaris runs an hour a day and cleans the whole thing except our spa. I make the kids clean the spa each Saturday.

I've never seen an in floor cleaning thing. Would probably be cool but crazy expensive.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I've never seen an in floor cleaning thing. Would probably be cool but crazy expensive.

About $2,600.

Comment

About $2,600.
                      Not too bad. A good Polaris will run you around $600 and you also have to have a separate pump, which can be more than $600. Nice thing about a Polaris is f there are mechanical issues, it's easy to swap a new one in.

Comment

I have an in-ground cleaning system. It works just so-so. There are always dead spots with those things and it will need regular brushing anyway. Not worth it, in my opinion. This year we actually bought a Polaris robot. It works really well. Takes a few minutes to set up and take down, but it does a much better job than our built in cleaner. Like falafel said, they don't go in the spa, so we have a quick brushing each week of the tile, the spa and usually the steps.

And the cleaners can be really expensive to maintain and repair. Every 4-5 years one part (I can't remember what its called - it basically coordinates the flow between all of the jets) needs replaced. That's a cool grand right there. If the pop-ps need cleaned or replaced that can also get pretty pricey. The ones in the deep end usually require a guy with a scuba tank to remove and replace them.

Comment

My oldest brother had a pool put in his house that is swallow at both ends and gets maybe 4' deep in the middle, I think he called it a sport pool. At first I thought he was an idiot, after a decade or more of him having it and seeing the use he gets from it I don't think I'd deal with a deep end and diving board.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            My oldest brother had a pool put in his house that is swallow at both ends and gets maybe 4' deep in the middle, I think he called it a sport pool. At first I thought he was an idiot, after a decade or more of him having it and seeing the use he gets from it I don't think I'd deal with a deep end and diving board.
                            4' is the deepest it gets? Who enjoys wading in water?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

4' is the deepest it gets? Who enjoys wading in water?
                              Maybe it is deeper than that. It has basketball hoops at both ends and a volleyball net possibility in the middle. I thought it was an awful idea at the time.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                Maybe it is deeper than that. It has basketball hoops at both ends and a volleyball net possibility in the middle. I thought it was an awful idea at the time.
                                I saw a bunch of those when I was visiting Arizona several years back. I think they called them "play pools".

Comment

Working...
                                X