Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pools? jelly bean or rectangle?

Looks great. I can’t imagine the pool will be cold at all. Ours was warm enough to swim in without heating back in late April. Now that summer is here, my kids are swimming everyday.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

Looks great. I can’t imagine the pool will be cold at all. Ours was warm enough to swim in without heating back in late April. Now that summer is here, my kids are swimming everyday.
    My pool, even in the direct heat of July, is almost always cold. It gets full sunlight all day too. I can't figure it out. If Lake Mead can warm up to levels that are no longer refreshing, how come my pool doesn't?
    Last edited by falafel; 06-16-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

"It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Very nice, kc. I really like that fire pit area. Your pic reminds me I need to get a cover made for my hot tub.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Beautiful, kc. You guys impress me. My yard is large and unspectacular, with lots of grass, a few trees that haven't died out of neglect or winter kill, and some flowers on the porch. Nothing else. I would never be responsible enough to take care of the cool back yards you guys have.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Those pool pictures are all lovely.

We had a pool "in" Oregon for the ten years we lived in the house we raised our kids in... and they loved it and they would swim once or twice a day during the (three months you could use a pool). I even liked cleaning the pool and such, late at night, it was a peaceful relaxing time. When our daughter was entering the 4th grade the teacher had a writing exercise for the kids. It began Do you remember.... and ended with..... That was summer! and they had to fill in the blank middle with one sentence. This is what our daughter wrote.

Do you remember...

Jumping into the deep blue water, and staying under till you couldn't hold your breath any longer?

That was Summer!
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-16-2018 at 10:20 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Very nice, kc. I really like that fire pit area. Your pic reminds me I need to get a cover made for my hot tub.
    Why?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Beautiful, kc. You guys impress me. My yard is large and unspectacular, with lots of grass, a few trees that haven't died out of neglect or winter kill, and some flowers on the porch. Nothing else. I would never be responsible enough to take care of the cool back yards you guys have.
    It's because we all have an innate desire to work the land, and some of us just have a little pretend patch to work with so we make up stuff to tend.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Why?
    Ping pong, mainly.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Pool is finally filled and we’ve been swimming the last couple days. Loving it. The kids think the colored lights are fun, too.

I also wanted to include a couple pics of the grass for Dwight Schr-Ute.

lowkey humblebrag on the elite lawn cross hatch lines
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    lowkey humblebrag on the elite lawn cross hatch lines
    imported labor.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    imported labor.
    I wish. It was my first mow since installation, so it was really long. My mower kept clogging, requiring me to empty the bag with just about every pass. Total mowing time (not including trimming) took an hour and a half, when 25-30 minutes would normally suffice. Once it was all mowed, I made a last pass over the whole lawn, mowing the opposite direction. I figured I wouldn't catch much, but I still filled almost an entire mower bag.

Wow, DH. That is awesome. I am happy for your kids.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

That lawn looks great. Too bad that next spring it's going to transform into light green, think bladed, slow growing disappointment.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

That lawn looks great. Too bad that next spring it's going to transform into light green, think bladed, slow growing disappointment.
    I'm not incompetent like you, but I understand your concern. (BTW, that's what pre-emergent is for).

I'm not incompetent like you, but I understand your concern. (BTW, that's what pre-emergent is for).
    Yeah, you're incompetent in ways different than me.

Btw, I wasn't talking about having weeds or crabgrass.
    Last edited by falafel; 06-21-2018 at 03:23 PM.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

watch that guy on youtube that talks about dominating your neighbors law. he’s good.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Btw, I wasn't talking about having weeds or crabgrass.
    So you think the grass physically alters its genetics? Got it.

So you think the grass physically alters its genetics? Got it.
    That's a BlueK-style counter, bro.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Nice, DH. How short do you cut your grass? I prefer it as long as possible because I think it's healthier for the roots, and it seems to have more of a swamp cooler effect on the yard. Others like I short because it holds fewer mosquitoes and grows back slower. No right way, just wondering. BTW, nice work on the straight lines. You must have some farmer blood.

Grantland Rice, 1924

Generally I try to cut about 1/3 of the blade length off. And I agree, longer grass means more surface area for photosynthesis, which means more nutrients in the soil.

But this was my first mow since the sod was installed, so it had been growing for almost a month without being mowed. I wasn’t willing to commit to mowing twice within the next week. So I went a bit shorter than normal this time, and when I mow next week I’ll be back to mowing off a third each week (which is just about right when I set my mower wheels just one notch down from the highest setting and then mow once a week.

Generally I try to cut about 1/3 of the blade length off. And I agree, longer grass means more surface area for photosynthesis, which means more nutrients in the soil.

But this was my first mow since the sod was installed, so it had been growing for almost a month without being mowed. I wasn’t willing to commit to mowing twice within the next week. So I went a bit shorter than normal this time, and when I mow next week I’ll be back to mowing off a third each week (which is just about right when I set my mower wheels just one notch down from the highest setting and then mow once a week.
    Makes sense. Not a lawn expert but rangeland grasses are healthy taking up to 60% of the leaf if it is close to maturity and early in the season. Like you do with your lawn, I try not to take over one third of the grass in my lawn or on my range. It allows the roots to be more resilient in case there is a stress.

Grantland Rice, 1924

Looks real nice DH, well done.

Next project... in-ground trampoline!
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Looks real nice DH, well done.

Next project... in-ground trampoline!
    Actually, I think my next project in the yard will be using Trex-type decking to build and affix a wood fence against the cinderblock wall around the pool. I’ve always hated how industrial that wall feels, but if feels especially awful against the pool. I’ll probably just stucco and paint the wall around the rest of the yard.

As for the tramp, we’ve discussed the in-ground option and decided against it. Primarily because we’ve only got 4-5 years of trampoline time left with our kids (in our experience, they lose interest around 8-9) and we don’t want to dig it in and then have it there forever. Btw, That place where the tramp is is actually where the tool shed will eventually go.

Actually, I think my next project in the yard will be using Trex-type decking to build and affix a wood fence against the cinderblock wall around the pool. I’ve always hated how industrial that wall feels, but if feels especially awful against the pool. I’ll probably just stucco and paint the wall around the rest of the yard.

As for the tramp, we’ve discussed the in-ground option and decided against it. Primarily because we’ve only got 4-5 years of trampoline time left with our kids (in our experience, they lose interest around 8-9) and we don’t want to dig it in and then have it there forever. Btw, That place where the tramp is is actually where the tool shed will eventually go.
    I dunno... my teenagers (and their friends) still use our in-ground tramp. I think primarily because it doesn't look like a little kids novelty toy. Maybe lose the safety netting and you'll get longer life out of your above-ground tramp.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

I guess kids are all different. Our teenagers still use our tramp, and underground is the only way to keep them from blowing away here where we regularly get 50 mph winds in the spring. What do you do with the dirt from the hole if you put it underground in your neighborhood, and where do you get dirt to fill it back in if you take it out? Sometimes I take for granted my access to something as simple as dirt. My yard is still embarrassing compared to you guys though.

Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    It's because we all have an innate desire to work the land, and some of us just have a little pretend patch to work with so we make up stuff to tend.
    That's a nice sentiment, but even if I only had the land my house sits on it wouldn't look the back yards in this thread. You and DH take yards to a new level.

On a side note, the straight mow lines were the first indicator, but when Donutehole starts talking about leaf length and photosynthesis, it's a sure bet he has farmer somewhere in his family tree. I'll bet he knows exactly what his fertilizer mix is, when to apply, and (more telling) why. If he was purebred snooty attorney he'd have his 'people' design his yard and a yard boy to mow the lawn and tempt his wife.

Grantland Rice, 1924

Welcome to the club DH. If you want any tips on cleaning filters let me know. I did the whole thing (filters, salt cell and basket) in under 45 minutes, which is a record.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

How often do you clean yours? They told me to clean every 6 months but I think I might need to do it more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Welcome to the club DH. If you want any tips on cleaning filters let me know. I did the whole thing (filters, salt cell and basket) in under 45 minutes, which is a record.

PLesa excuse the tpyos.