Pools? jelly bean or rectangle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    It's nice to see that you're finally ripping out all that turf that you put back there last summer.
    The turf is staying, bro!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      The turf is staying, bro!
      I guess, if you have the space and cash to do it, go for it.
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        I don't think your buddy has anything to compare it to.

We have the little Roomba style vacuum on a hose that just wanders the pool all day. Keeps it plenty clean and only cost about $500.
        It's a Polaris and it's easy and relatively cheap. Ours runs for an hour every day and it keeps the pool spotless, even in the nooks and crannies. Plus, it gives our dog something to chase for an hour.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Lots of good stuff here. I apprecaite all the info.

What about concrete vs. vinyl vs fiberglass? Any thoughts?
          Our pool is pebbletec, which I honestly don't know where it fits in your above criteria. MJ likes it more than me. It can be tough on skin after you've been in the pool for several hours, but pretty much anything will scrape you at that point. It also doens't show dirt, so it seems to always look nicer than smooth gunite pools. Our pool deck is also pebbletec, which I don't love since it's tough to walk on with barefeet. I'd prefer some textured pavers and will probably do that if we ever need to redo the pool. Our pool is also 12 years old and the pebbletec still looks great, so there's that.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            It can be tough on skin after you've been in the pool for several hours, but pretty much anything will scrape you at that point.
            Along those same lines, I've never eaten all I could eat at an ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT Crab Legs Buffet. The skin on my hands gets water-logged far before my stomach gets full, and the hundreds of cuts from the crab shells start to make the experience too painful to be worthwhile after 5-6 hours.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Pools are great. That's all I got.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Like I mentioned, I love our salt water pool. The salt water generator creates the chlorine, but it's not like chlorine pools. We never smell like chlorine after swimming and our eyes don't hurt, plus the water is much softer due to the salt content. The biggest drawback is that we can't really have metal furniture in the backyard.
                We had a salt water pool... the salt corroded everything including the stone around the pool. I finally converted it back to a chlorine pool and was much happier. No more cleaning the stupid salt cell in acid.

The other thing I noticed was the salt chlorinator took a lot of power. I measured the amp draw and it was more than my pool cleaner motor.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  We had a salt water pool... the salt corroded everything including the stone around the pool. I finally converted it back to a chlorine pool and was much happier. No more cleaning the stupid salt cell in acid.

The other thing I noticed was the salt chlorinator took a lot of power. I measured the amp draw and it was more than my pool cleaner motor.
                  Yeah, stone doesn't go well with salt water. Our pool is pebbletec but with concrete overhangs. Concrete is fine with salt and it's what most pools have. Our waterfall is stone but we only run it when we are swimming so there's no issue there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So if you lived in St George, how important would you feel like a pool was? Absolutely critical? Still not worth the cost and maintenance?

Do you guys hire someone to take care of your pool or do you do it yourself? and does anyone care to throw out a ballpark number on annual cost to maintain?
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                      So if you lived in St George, how important would you feel like a pool was? Absolutely critical? Still not worth the cost and maintenance?

Do you guys hire someone to take care of your pool or do you do it yourself? and does anyone care to throw out a ballpark number on annual cost to maintain?
                      hoa. keeps the pool nice and minorities out.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Our pool is pebbletec, which I honestly don't know where it fits in your above criteria. MJ likes it more than me. It can be tough on skin after you've been in the pool for several hours, but pretty much anything will scrape you at that point. It also doens't show dirt, so it seems to always look nicer than smooth gunite pools. Our pool deck is also pebbletec, which I don't love since it's tough to walk on with barefeet. I'd prefer some textured pavers and will probably do that if we ever need to redo the pool. Our pool is also 12 years old and the pebbletec still looks great, so there's that.
                        Yeah, salt water pools and natural stone surround are not a good idea. If you go with salt water then I recommend that you use a synthetic stone surround.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

It's a Polaris and it's easy and relatively cheap. Ours runs for an hour every day and it keeps the pool spotless, even in the nooks and crannies. Plus, it gives our dog something to chase for an hour.
                          Yeah, we had a polaris robot cleaner as well. It worked pretty good for the most part. Sometimes it would suck up its own tail or something stupid but other than that I liked it.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Mines not a Polaris. It's something else and it runs whenever the pool pump is on.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post

I would get one.

Also, I tried doing the maintenance myself but I sucked at it. We have a service now.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                I would get one.

Also, I tried doing the maintenance myself but I sucked at it. We have a service now.
                                is that what you call the pool boy to make yourself feel better when he's servicing the pool, etc, while you're at work?
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X