Trumpcare: Making America Healthy Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trumpcare: Making America Healthy Again

So Trumpcare 1.0 is out and the reviews are not good, not even from the GOP. Here's a quick synopsis of the provisions:

Pre-existing conditions - unchanged, still can't be denied for havinga preexisting condition coverage
    Continuous coverage — the tax penalty for not having coverage is replaced with a 30 percent penalty that goes to the insurance companies
    High risk pools - special fund to be setup to help states set up "high-risk" pools, fix their insurance markets, or help low-income patients
    Medicaid - Enrollment in expanded Medicaid will be frozen in 2020 and then likely slowly phased out. Also, Medicaid will change to "per capita caps" (funding limits for each person) in fiscal year 2020
    Tax credit - A new, refundable tax credit will be available in 2020 to help people buy health insurance. The tax credit is not means tested but does phase out for higher-income people. The Obamacare subsidies (means tested) would be eliminated.
    Taxes - All Obamacare taxes are eliminated, including the Cadillac tax, limits on employer-provide health coverage, etc.

Overall, I don't like it. It's a middle of the road solution to an ever growing problem. The 30% penalty is just weird, and I can't imagine it having much of an effect. If I'm healthy and lose coverage for over 60 days, I'm very unlikely to have any incentive to buy back in, especially at a 30% premium for 12 months. I'd likely just stay out until I desperately need insurance, at which point I'd buy back in and then milk it for all it's worth.

Two items that the GOP loves that are not in the bill are medical malpractice reform and selling insurance across state lines. I won't deduct points for the GOP not including those items since they aren't allowed in the bill that goes through the reconciliation process. A super-majority would be needed to pass those two items, which is why they were left out of Trumpcare. Although I can't imagine why the Democrats would not be for either of those items.

I do wonder if this bill will ever have legs. It seems a bit dead in the water, but so did Obamacare up until Kennedy died and the Democrats were left with a crappy bill that they tried to put lipstick on through reconciliation since even the voters in Massachusetts at the time didn't like what the Dems were doing. I'm still amazed at Scott Brown and his truck winning the Kennedy seat...all because of Obamacare.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Almost seven years ago Il Pad posted a thread bidding farewell to America because of Obamacare. Miss that guy.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthread.php?21405

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      Almost seven years ago Il Pad posted a thread bidding farewell to America because of Obamacare. Miss that guy.

I miss the USA.

Comment

I miss Utahdan more. Dude was a prophet:

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
        What it really marks is the high water mark of Democrat control of the White House and Congress. Dozens of these politicians, including the president, will be defeated the next time they face voters as a direct consequence of this.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Even if the reconciliation 'tricks' pass the house and senate, there will come a time when it has to pass the senate with a filibuster-proof majority, right? How is that even going to happen? This seems like nothing more than going through the motions to fulfill a campaign promise. It's doomed, right? Am I missing something?
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            Even if the reconciliation 'tricks' pass the house and senate, there will come a time when it has to pass the senate with a filibuster-proof majority, right? How is that even going to happen? This seems like nothing more than going through the motions to fulfill a campaign promise. It's doomed, right? Am I missing something?
            No, that's the point of reconciliation. It's filibuster proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              No, that's the point of reconciliation. It's filibuster proof.
              No I get that. But from what I've heard, there's only so much that can be passed by reconciliation, like budgetary measures. To finalize the 'repeal and replace', I keep hearing that it will require 60 votes in the senate to pass.

Anyone else hear that?
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

That's a good thread, including DDD's reference to one of my all-time favorite CB posts that went straight to my Favorites folder. Quoth the unedited Lifi:

this is the point of no return
                seriously..........Nov 4, 2008 is day America willfuly and wontonly turned it's back on the Constitution, the founding fathers and God. We are now on an unstoppable collision course with prophecy.

We've reached our zenith as a nation and it's all down hill from here to brink of total destruction.

I fear my children will never know the liberty and greatness of America as I knew it.
                I also enjoyed D'hole's response that "It would be a pretty crappy prophecy if we weren't, eh?"

Comment

- SeattleUte

Comment

Looks like the current version of Trumpcare will cost much less and many people will lose coverage (I suspect a portion of those that lose coverage would prefer to not be covered in the first place)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Trumpcare: Making America Healthy Again

Channeling his inner Nancy Pelosi

Comment

Trump just asked Congress to pull the bill. Can't risk a losing vote, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Channeling his inner Nancy Pelosi

Funny how tone deaf members of congress can be. They immediately start making the same errors as the party previously in control.

Perhaps they're not that tone deaf to their own districts, I guess. But they really suck at seeing the whole picture.
                            Last edited by BlueK; 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              Funny how tone deaf members of congress can be. They immediately start making the same errors as the party previously in control.
                              And people wonder why I keep throwing my votes away on the Libertarians.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X