Road bike advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road bike advice

I'm not a serious gung-ho road biker (I like mtn biking a lot more), but want to do lotoja this year. I have an older specialized (aluminum) and want to upgrade to a fully carbon bike. I found a kestral that seems like a good deal:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...egra.htm#specs
    It is fully carbon except the wheel set which I am okay with.

It's only 2 1/2 lbs lighter than my old bike. While it's not crazy expensive, $1400, is it worth the lighter weight for a longer ride? it's got ultegra comps, so it's seems to be a pretty good bike.

TIA.

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
    I'm not a serious gung-ho road biker (I like mtn biking a lot more), but want to do lotoja this year. I have an older specialized (aluminum) and want to upgrade to a fully carbon bike. I found a kestral that seems like a good deal:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...egra.htm#specs
    It is fully carbon except the wheel set which I am okay with.

It's only 2 1/2 lbs lighter than my old bike. While it's not crazy expensive, $1400, is it worth the lighter weight for a longer ride? it's got ultegra comps, so it's seems to be a pretty good bike.

TIA.
    What makes you want to do lotoja?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      What makes you want to do lotoja?
      Because it is there. And I'm not getting any younger.

I am not a total novice; I have done centuries and enjoy races for the challenge of training and finishing, then improving.

Comment

I'm not familiar with that particular wheelset, but 2 1/2 pounds is quite a bit of weight to save for just the bike. I think you would certainly notice the difference on an endurance ride with a fair amount of climbing like LOTOJA. Of course, as my wife likes to remind me, 2 1/2 pounds is nothing compared to the extra 15-20 pounds that I am carrying around on my waistline.

Creekster is a big proponent of rotational acceleration, and will tell you one of the biggest upgrades you can make to a road bike is a lighter and better wheelset. i can't disagree with him there.

Comment

Road bike advice

BG is right. 2.5 lbs is a lot. But I have never been that excited about kestrels. They are good frames, just not my thing.

One problem with an aluminum frame is that it might be a harsh ride for such a long distance. I don't know which frame set you currently have but if it is a criterium or similarly aggressive geometry you may not be very happy with it after 200 miles.

That said you will need to be careful with the kestrel's geometry as it could also be set up for a Tri or a criterium and as a result may not be well-suited for a long distance ride . I am a guy that keeps bikes a long time, however and my typical ride is about 15 years old so I'm probably not the best one to ask. IMO if you have a frame that fits you well and with which you're comfortable I would be more likely to want to get a new wheelset than a new frame.

But you should pay close attention to what BG, RC Viking and archaea tell you as they all ride a lot and have either done lotoja or something like it.
          Last edited by creekster; 03-09-2017, 08:48 AM.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            BG is right. 2.5 lbs is a lot. But I have never been that excited about kestrels. They are good frames, just not my thing.

One problem with an aluminum frame is that it might be a harsh ride for such a long distance. I don't know which frame set you currently have but if it is a criterium or similarly aggressive geometry you may not be very happy with it after 200 miles.

That said you will need to be careful with the kestrel's geometry as it could also be set up for a Tri or a criterium and as a result may not be well-suited for a long distance ride . I am a guy that keeps bikes a long time, however and my typical ride is about 15 years old so I'm probably not the best one to ask. IMO if you have a frame that fits you well and with which you're comfortable I would be more likely to want to get a new wheelset than a new frame.

But you should pay close attention to what BG, RC Viking and archaea tell you as they all ride a lot and have either done lotoja or something like it.
            Thanks for the info. I turn 40 this year, and my current bike (specialized Allez) does put a crick in the neck/upper-back. Everyone says that gets better with time in the saddle, but just always hurts in my case. I think I need a bike that keeps me a bit more up-right at the expense of being aerodynamic. I'm not in these things to win them.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I turn 40 this year, and my current bike (specialized Allez) does put a crick in the neck/upper-back. Everyone says that gets better with time in the saddle, but just always hurts in my case. I think I need a bike that keeps me a bit more up-right at the expense of being aerodynamic. I'm not in these things to win them.
              Just off the top it sounds like your top tube may be too long. If so, a new frame is in order before you do lotoja.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

If anyone on this thread cares (or will even notice this post), I finished Lotoja at 11 hours 45 minutes moving time (12:14 total). It was pretty cool, but doubt I will ever do it again! On to new challenges like eating doughnuts and watching tv.
                Last edited by Mr Bean; 09-23-2017, 01:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

If anyone on this thread cares (or will even notice this post), I finished Lotoja at 11 hours 45 minutes moving time (12:14 total). It was pretty cool, but doubt I will ever do it again! On to new challenges like eating doughnuts and watching tv.
                  When I was a scout leader I used to take the boys to Krispy Kreme and have a donut eating contest. I think most one kid ever ate was around a dozen. They always talked tough, but most of them would quit around 4-5.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

What was your train-up like?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      What was your train-up like?
                      I put in about 1700 miles between April and September, pretty lax. Few times a week, 20 miles most days with a few centuries mixed in on weekends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        When I was a scout leader I used to take the boys to Krispy Kreme and have a donut eating contest. I think most one kid ever ate was around a dozen. They always talked tough, but most of them would quit around 4-5.
                        that's funny. i had the same experience with my YM. a bunch of HS football players and every time i took them for eating contests or challenges they pretty much always disappoint. big talkers though.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Me bean: very impressive. Nice ride.

As to doughnuts, I ate 8 krisoy kremes at one sitting once and I felt like crap for about two days.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

As to doughnuts, I ate 8 krisoy kremes at one sitting once and I felt like crap for about two days.
                            The kid that ate a dozen got quite sick. I was worried he was going to barf in my car.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              The kid that ate a dozen got quite sick. I was worried he was going to barf in my car.
                              Lightweights.

Comment

Working...
                              X