2017 BYU Cougar Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    The routes seemed poorer and they didn't fight as hard for separation. I'll be curious to see how the wideouts do this year.
    I assumed the WRs regressed so much because they knew they weren't getting the ball on time or on target, so the effort started to match the passes they were getting. Cahoon deserves a chance to be judged based on how his players play when the QB has the ability to throw.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I assumed the WRs regressed so much because they knew they weren't getting the ball on time or on target, so the effort started to match the passes they were getting. Cahoon deserves a chance to be judged based on how his players play when the QB has the ability to throw.
      this
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

That's fair. Let's see how this season goes.

Comment

That is a fair assessment but I don't remember any improvement during his first stint either. Obviously others have different recollection. It might be a question of not being a great teacher even though he was able to be a competent receiver.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
            When Cahoon came the first time I saw a noticeable improvement. Very noticeable. Could be the change of regime this time didn't favor our WR's habits- or they could have been sluggish b/c Lavar Ball was very tight w the WRs and they were bummed to lose that leader. I have faith that we'll get back to where we need to be.
            I saw him at the airport last week and said the exact same thing. He could probably pass as a cousin or relative of Lavar.

Comment

The deep ball was just horrific, but the shorter routes often came in hot and off-target. Cost us the WV and Utah games.
              Last edited by Green Monstah; 07-12-2017, 03:36 PM.
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Anyone know the status of Joe Brown (Miami OL transfer)?
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• CFN predicts we finish 29 (if the rankings went to 29) in the final Playoff Rankings this year. 10-3 year, a big win over Wisconsin, but losing to Utah again. I would be pretty pleased with a 10-3 year if one of the losses wasn't Utah.

Preseason Predicted Regular Season Record: 10-3
                  The final regular season ranking will be based on two wins – Wisconsin and Boise State. The Cougars will lose to Mississippi State, LSU and Utah, and the rest of the wins will add up to fat load of nothing – BYU won’t beat a bowl-bound team over the last six games – but beating the loaded Badgers and the eventual Mountain West champ will put them around the final regular season top 30.
                  http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/...ayoff-rankings
                  Last edited by Omaha 680; 07-17-2017, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• BYU won’t beat a bowl-bound team over the last six games
                    The last six games, according to their rankings...

128: San Jose St. Predicted record 1-11
                    123: UMass. Predicted record 2-10
                    117: Fresno St. Predicted record 4-18
                    106: East Carolina. Predicted record 3-9
                    102: Hawaii. Predicted record 4-8
                    95: UNLV. Predicted record 5-7

And - as an added bonus - while not one of the last 6 games. BYU faces USU earlier in the season. Ranked at 110 with a predicted record of 4-8.

So - 7 of BYU's games are against teams that are ranked 95th or worse nationally by this publication? And that doesn't include an 8th game against Big Sky opponent Portland State? Yeah - getting 10 wins - or only 2 wins against teams that aren't among the worst in the country - doesn't seem like that good of a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

And - as an added bonus - while not one of the last 6 games. BYU faces USU earlier in the season. Ranked at 110 with a predicted record of 4-8.

So - 7 of BYU's games are against teams that are ranked 95th or worse nationally by this publication? And that doesn't include an 8th game against Big Sky opponent Portland State? Yeah - getting 10 wins - or only 2 wins against teams that aren't among the worst in the country - doesn't seem like that good of a season.
                      awesome
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Yeah I didn't realize just how bad the bulk of the schedule is until you spelled it out. The good news is We can get some national attention fairly easily with a couple big wins. They have us finishing ahead of Mississippi State and Utah even though they expect us to lose to them. Beat LSU and Wisconsin and anything is possible in spite of the terrible back end of the schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                          Yeah I didn't realize just how bad the bulk of the schedule is until you spelled it out. The good news is We can get some national attention fairly easily with a couple big wins. They have us finishing ahead of Mississippi State and Utah even though they expect us to lose to them. Beat LSU and Wisconsin and anything is possible in spite of the terrible back end of the schedule.
                          What do you mean by anything? The back end is so bad that BYU would likely fall each week in the CFP poll due to the competition being played while other opponents are playing ranked in conference teams.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

What do you mean by anything? The back end is so bad that BYU would likely fall each week in the CFP poll due to the competition being played while other opponents are playing ranked in conference teams.
                            Go undefeated and BYU goes to a NY6 bowl. Lose one game and we go to some crappy bow. It's basically just like every other season as an independent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Anything, bro. Go undefeated and the PAC 12 would invite us to join. ANYTHING!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Go undefeated and BYU goes to a NY6 bowl. Lose one game and we go to some crappy bow. It's basically just like every other season as an independent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I would say go undefeated and we are a lock for NY6 bowl and an outside darling for CFP discussion, but ultimately just miss out (this assumes that Wisconsin, LSU, Mississippi State, and Boise State all have good years). I think with one loss we still probably go to a NY6. Granted, the chances are infinitesimal that these things happen, but this is what fans talk about for fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X