No announcement yet.

Social Media Outrage/Cancel Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah if you want to have women’s sports at all then you’re going to have to have rules that ban transgender females and those with too much testosterone.

It’s OK. It’s a God-given right to live and work and to marry as the gender of your choice but not to compete athletically only against the gender of your choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      Yeah if you want to have women’s sports at all then you’re going to have to have rules that ban transgender females and those with too much testosterone.

It’s OK. It’s a God-given right to live and work and to marry as the gender of your choice but not to compete athletically only against the gender of your choice.
      It's crazy that this is even a point of debate.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• And the same outrage culture continues to move on into real life...

Comedian has 911 called for "Middle Eastern" joke.

...whoever made it point to waste my time and everyone's else's time and call the police on me over a joke is not only mind boggling but disturbing and funny all at the same time.
        https://www.nbc-2.com/story/40474078...show-in-naples

"I don't know if it's fear, racism, ignorance, or Islamophobia, or whatever you want to call it," Ahmed said. "It's unfortunate that somebody was very adamant about making a point to make a 911 call."

The person admitted to the dispatcher that they called deputies because they felt uncomfortable after the comment and asked if something like that should be said. The caller was concerned Ahmed would say the same comment again, in a later performance.

Comment

• John Cleese discusses PC elements and laments the loss of English Culture. A win for Rebel Wisdom to get an interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
            John Cleese discusses PC elements and laments the loss of English Culture. A win for Rebel Wisdom to get an interview.

I enjoyed that. He gets into the meat of 1 Corinthians 13. The posturing bit and self-righteousness is interesting through the lens of comedy, that teasing is a form of affection, but that nasty teasing is never good.
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Great article in the Atlantic on public shaming.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...erdict/591379/

Oberlin College was recently sued and hit with a massive judgement because they joined in to publicly shame a local bakery that was falsely accused of racism. They argue that lawsuits might have an impact on blunting the public shaming phenom.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Great article in the Atlantic on public shaming.

Oberlin College was recently sued and hit with a massive judgement because they joined in to publicly shame a local bakery that was falsely accused of racism. They argue that lawsuits might have an impact on blunting the public shaming phenom.
                "Meredith Raimondo, the special assistant to the president for equity, diversity, and inclusion"... in other words a half-wit.

Her response to the emeritus professor's letter to the school newspaper alone probably added $11 million to the verdict ("F*** him, I'd unleash the students on him if we didn't need to put this behind us.") How a vicious person like that ever gained any kind of position at Oberlin is incredible.

The jury exceeded the statutory limit on punitive damages knowing that an appeals judge would reduce the punitive damages regardless of the amount -- so they might as well set that upper boundary quite high. I also loved how the general counsel for Oberlin criticized the jury after the verdict but before the punitive damages were decided. At that point the jury wasn't sequestered and could read what the Oberlin officials thought of them all while they were deciding on punitive damages against the same people. These college administrators live in fantasyland.

And a final point -- the Oberlin's insurance carrier is disclaiming any responsibility to Oberlin in paying anything towards the verdict. Their umbrella policy doesn't pay for intentional acts that "violate the rights" of other people or parties.
                Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 06-17-2019, 10:11 AM.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  "Meredith Raimondo, the special assistant to the president for equity, diversity, and inclusion"... in other words a half-wit.

Her response to the emeritus professor's letter to the school newspaper alone probably added $11 million to the verdict ("F*** him, I'd unleash the students on him if we didn't need to put this behind us.") How a vicious person like that ever gained any kind of position at Oberlin is incredible.

The jury exceeded the statutory limit on punitive damages knowing that an appeals judge would reduce the punitive damages regardless of the amount -- so they might as well set that upper boundary quite high. I also loved how the general counsel for Oberlin criticized the jury after the verdict but before the punitive damages were decided. At that point the jury wasn't sequestered and could read what the Oberlin officials thought of them all while they were deciding on punitive damages against the same people. These college administrators live in fantasyland.

And a final point -- the Oberlin's insurance carrier is disclaiming any responsibility to Oberlin in paying anything towards the verdict. Their umbrella policy doesn't pay for intentional acts that "violate the rights" of other people or parties.
                  Wow... I wonder how much the MAGA kid is going to get.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Great article in the Atlantic on public shaming.

Twitter thread documenting some of the more interesting moments from the trial:

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      Wow... I wonder how much the MAGA kid is going to get.

I'm sure he can show legitimate damages just like the Gibson bakery.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

That twitter thread is interesting... Oberlin College is actually the racial profiler:

And clearly fueled the protests:

What a bunch of liberal dummies. Now the college is claiming it is cash poor even though it has $900 million dollar endowment.

Oberlin College to Jury: We’re cash poor and big punitive award to Gibson’s Bakery will hurt students
                        [...]
                        Rebecca Vazquez-Skillings, the Oberlin College vice president for finance and administration, was brought to the stand by the plaintiffs’ team to go over the numbers and show how the school had lots of money and how a few million more on this verdict wouldn’t hurt them.

As Gibson attorney Lee Plakas told the jury, “If you have $1,000 in your bank account and you get a $100 fine, it’s a big deal, but if you get a $100 fine with $1 million in the bank, its’s like getting a mosquito bite.”

When the plaintiffs went over the IRS Form 990 (the required non-profit filing) and the school’s annual financial reports, it seemed like the Oberlin College’s monies had measurable value and were robust. At least to someone like me who doesn’t have much money. [View Oberlin College’s 2017 Form 990 — the 2018 Form 990 is not yet publicly available]

The college has more than $1 billion in funds and net assets according to the latest IRS 990 form, an endowment fund that had grown from $440 million to $887 million in the last 20 years, and because of its non-profit status, pays no taxes on any property it owns.

It also had 18 members of their administration making more than $100,000 a year. The president and chief financial officer of the school were both making more than $500,000 a year.
                        https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...hurt-students/
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          I'm sure he can show legitimate damages just like the Gibson bakery.
                          Because of all the slander he will never be able to get into nice school like Oberlin College! This will have a significant impact on this earning potential. He could have been the next Bill Gates!
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

dxug9prj01531.jpg
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• This may be the best article I've read explaining the madness, where it comes from, and why it proliferates. Trigger warning: it defends WEIRD societies like ours.

We are seeing a widespread shift from some well-established and productive ideas that can be said to underpin our modern society, to some highly inconsistent and destructive ones. A new cultural logic is emerging in the west.
                              No. Social Justice is postmodern. It explicitly rejects the fruits of modernity, considering them at best naive and simplistic and at worst, patriarchal, white supremacist and imperialist. It seeks to put the epistemology — how we know what is true — and ethics — how we determine what is right — of modernity behind us and move into a new era where science is just one way of knowing the world and it is corrupted by power. It asserts a conception of society as entirely constructed of systems of power and privilege which are upheld by discourses — ways of talking about things. It insists that multiple knowledges exist and are related to identity; that white, male, western knowledge has unfairly dominated and now it is time for it to step back and let other knowledges have priority.
                              Very many people see the symptoms of the problem whether they call it “identity politics” or “political correctness” but they may not understand where these ideas are coming from and how they work.
                              Because progress is not a myth. It is measurable in so many ways including poverty, education, fatal diseases, infant mortality as well as human rights. These are the fruits of modernity. The postmodernists do not value these fruits. They see modernity as a time of empire and exploitation, of patriarchy and white supremacy. And they see these oppressive systems as being upheld and justified by science, by reason and by liberalism.
                              But postmodernism did not die. Some academics would like to tell you that it did, but it was the contention of my group of scholars that these core ideas had, in fact, simply evolved and become more user-friendly. We called the next phase “Applied Postmodernism” because of this. In the same way that the original postmodernism had sprung up from various disciplines all at once at the end of the 1960s, so the next wave did so at the end of the 1980s. They came from postcolonial theory, critical race theory, intersectional feminism and queer theory.
                              Meanwhile the practitioners of grievance studies turn out the teachers of our children and the heads of our industries. The ideas are popularised and made graspable by activists who make their feelings known. The book White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo is a bestseller and she was right here at the University of Sydney talking about it at the end of last year. Kimberlé Crenshaw’s concept of intersectionality is now everywhere. There are people who make it their job to problematise things. Companies need to forestall being accused of racism or sexism by being seen to be committed to this ideologically-specific conception of diversity and inclusion. The US saw James Damore fired from Google for saying men and women have different interests on average. The BBC just fired Danny Baker for not realising a picture of a chimp could be construed as racist. Medical organisations are trying to find ways to avoid associating female reproductive systems with women. Cancer research organisations face difficulties trying to say that obesity is a significant factor. So far from true is it that society is underlain by discourses of patriarchy and white supremacy that accusations of sexism, racism and homophobia, even if unwarranted, can end careers and destroy reputations.

The symptoms of this problem are seen even by those who don’t fully understand how this all works. They feel that political correctness has gone mad or that identity politics have taken over. This assists the reactionary surge to the right. Because this problem is not just on the left. With the universities having seemingly abdicated their role as rigorous, evidence-based producers of knowledge the door has been opened to postmodernism and post-truth. We are now seeing so many forms of personal and cultural narrative, motivated reasoning, confirmation bias and flat-out lies and fabrications. Narratives are back. Group perceptions have validity again.

Comment

• I was brought to this by reading about the guy that cheated in all the marathons and then killed himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X