Social Media Outrage/Cancel Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Sounds like the Covington students have been invited to visit Trump.

Oh. Yay. I'm sure this is finally going to promote healing and understanding, and not at all flame further division.
    Yeah, that's not helpful. If cooler heads prevail they'll decline the invitation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      Sounds like the Covington students have been invited to visit Trump.

Oh. Yay. I'm sure this is finally going to promote healing and understanding, and not at all flame further division.

Sounds like the kids' school has been shutdown due to all the death/bomb/shooting/etc threats... so they may have some time on their hands for another road trip. I wonder if they they will get some big macs?

ytf5no9q7wb21.jpg
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Kathy Griffin seems like a nice person.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
          Yeah, that's not helpful. If cooler heads prevail they'll decline the invitation.
          Unlikely. If you're not a woke professional sports team, you don't have the cred to decline a presidential invite. They do not strike me as woke.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Maybe this whole thing is a live episode of Black Mirror.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Spontaneously doing the tomohawk chop, happens all the time.
              Serious Frank?

So - there are three groups of people there. Two of them (Black Israelies & Native Americans) - full of adults - are shouting stuff back and forth. One of the ADULTS from one of those groups enters the space being occupied by the third group (the high school kids), seemingly looking for a confrontation. The high school kids just stand there. THEY JUST STAND THERE. And you are going to put the blame on the kids for being there and not initiating anything instead of on the adult who tried to escalate things?

The Black Israelites (adults) are yelling all kinds of foul things, in fact in one video I heard they were the ones actually yelling "Build that wall" - though in a sarcastic way that seems to be intended to make fun of the MAGA gear the kids are wearing. I have heard that video - I haven't seen or heard any video where the kids are saying it - which is what Phillips claims.

Look - I get that these groups are all at the capital. I get that they are each involved in their own protest of one thing or another. I get that some of these protests I would be more sympathetic of than others.

But I can't think of ANY situation in which I would blame a high school kid for standing there calmly (smirky punchable face or not) when an adult is entering their space, getting in their face, and seemingly wanting to initiate a confrontation.

Phillips is now saying he got between the two groups in order to stop things between the students and the Black Israelies. He actually says that the Black Israelies started it - but then he walked into the middle of the high school kids - not between them. When's the last time you saw someone try to stop an confrontation from escalating by getting in the middle of a group and walking right up to someone and getting that close to their face? If that's what he was doing, why didn't he actually get BETWEEN the group?

I know I have my biases - but once again you show an inability to even consider the role someone else may play in these situations. Simply because it is so much easier to put blame on the person you disagree with.

Comment

• sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• my grandma posted that meme on the facebooks
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    my grandma posted that meme on the facebooks
                    You should give this one to your grandma to post... It made me laugh:

pqt83hypg1c21.jpg
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Kathy Griffin seems like a nice person.

She has such a punchable face...
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        You should give this one to your grandma to post... It made me laugh:

[ATTACH]9342[/ATTACH]
                        just because he drives a go kart and goes through people’s trash doesn’t mean he killed those kids
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          just because he drives a go kart and goes through people’s trash doesn’t mean he killed those kids
                          "What the f*ck is the right answer to that?"
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/sta...435037185?s=19

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• This may be the most important takeaway from the whole situation.

Yes, the confrontation between a teenage boy in a MAGA hat and an older Native American at the Lincoln Memorial last Friday was a sick spectacle. If you recoiled when you first saw it online, you were right to be disgusted. But you shouldn't conclude -- no matter what version of the video you saw -- that it captures some meaningful reflection of human nature or even America's current cultural divide.
                              In this episode in particular, we now know, the video only went viral after it was posted on a network of anonymous and spoofed Twitter accounts used specifically to promote divisive, sensationalist stories on all sides of the political spectrum. Yes, it seems there are people, organizations, and even whole countries who use social media to provoke and confirm our worst fears of one another.
                              Bad actors hoping to stoke our fear or rage by using these platforms, which are specifically designed to bypass our higher faculties -- our common sense or empathy -- and reach right down into our brainstem so that we click on ads and stay glued to the screen. They use Las Vegas slot machine algorithms in our feeds. That's what we're up against, here.

The "reptile brain" these platforms trigger doesn't engage in prosocial behaviors. Instead, in an environment of weaponized memes and isolated by social media, human beings become more entrenched in their positions and driven by a fear for their personal survival.
                              Instead of becoming aware of the way digital media and dangerously manipulative social media platforms can lead us toward hateful, entrenched positions and behaviors, we instead fall victim to those who intentionally leverage these platforms to whip us up into a frenzy. Is the video of those boys indicative of some social illness? Yes. Is it emblematic of our national psyche or underlying nature? Only if we choose it to be.

The internet doesn't have to be used against a person's critical faculties any more than language has to be used to lie. But each extension of our social reality into a new medium requires we make a conscious effort to bring our humanity along with us.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                                This may be the most important takeaway from the whole situation.
                                Initially posted by fake twitter accounts.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/tech/...ens/index.html

Lol. People are like sheep.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X