No announcement yet.

Social Media Outrage/Cancel Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an irony decision. John Lennon's son. He's anti-woke.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
      Another piece on the destructiveness and seriousness of the movement behind cancel culture and social outrage. From Bari Weiss who resigned from the NYT after the internal politics became too much. From a Jewish perspective--mostly.
      D hi
      Don't you tire of reading all of the self-referential IDW victimstance stuff? For all the scoffing about pretentious academics and new, unnecessary buzzwords and vocabulary, these guys are kind of the just the other side of the same coin. Bari didn't like the political vibe at her job. Oh my! The horror!

"Cancel culture," isn't a new occurrence, nor does it belong to any one specific political group. Remember the Dixie Chicks?
      Last edited by frank ryan; 10-18-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Twitter going after anyone who vouches for Chris Pratt.

Comment

Twitter going after anyone who vouches for Chris Pratt.

Wait ... what did Chris Pratt do?

Comment

• I think he was the only MCU actor to not appear in a Biden commercial?

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              I think he was the only MCU actor to not appear in a Biden commercial?
              Oh, well ... he certainly deserves to be cancelled for that then. What a jerk.

Comment

Twitter going after anyone who vouches for Chris Pratt.

A bunch of anonymous twitter handles starting internet fights?

Shocker.

Comment

• If cancel culture ends up destroying the TV careers of 2 obnoxious lawyers by the end of this year, can it be all that bad?
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                    I think he was the only MCU actor to not appear in a Biden commercial?
                    He wasn't even the only one, not the biggest star. Robert Downey Jr. didn't appear, but no one gave him any crap. Crap is coming at Pratt, in part, because of his church affiliation.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                      A bunch of anonymous twitter handles starting internet fights?

Shocker.
                      Even more shocking is that every major news outlet ran a story on it. Ridiculous.

Comment

Even more shocking is that every major news outlet ran a story on it. Ridiculous.
                        Actually that is ridiculous.

Have you never perused the replies of POTUS’ tweets?

Have you ever read the comment sections of anything Ben Shapiro writes/comments on?

Absolute cesspool. But let’s focus on this and give the Tim Pools of the world the ‘excuse’ to vote for Trump.

Comment

• ****Anonymous internet posters fight about anonymous internet posters' fights****

Comment

Actually that is ridiculous.

Have you never perused the replies of POTUS’ tweets?
                            Yes.

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                            Have you ever read the comment sections of anything Ben Shapiro writes/comments on?
                            Also yes.

Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                            Absolute cesspool. But let’s focus on this and give the Tim Pools of the world the ‘excuse’ to vote for Trump.
                            Have you ever examined the influence that a relatively small group of committed activists can have on a society? Should attention on the biggest political snake oil salesman in US history preclude any and all exploration of meme-complexes that may prove very harmful to society in the future--where similar meme-complexes have indeed taken down previous cultures?

Comment

Have you ever examined the influence that a relatively small group of committed activists can have on a society? Should attention on the biggest political snake oil salesman in US history preclude any and all exploration of meme-complexes that may prove very harmful to society in the future--where similar meme-complexes have indeed taken down previous cultures?
                              Were the Romans taken down by sick burn memes that were perpetuated by Russian and Chinese bot farms?

I don’t know if we have any real idea what will happen to society 10-15 years down the road because I don’t know if any of us truly appreciate what FB/twitter/reddit/cougarstadium have become today. Is it the modern day town square or something much more insidious? We as a society are figuring that out and hopefully our better angels will prevail.

Reflexively I give little time and effort to the Twittersphere arguments you seem so worried about. Do some people lose their jobs? Are some folks doxxed? Is that bad? Yes, yes and sometimes yes. Do I worry about Chris Pratt being bullied online? No.

Now I try to slog through some of your thoughts. They honestly read like a white dude worried that he can’t say colored anymore and the implications that will have on his well being.

Comment

Were the Romans taken down by sick burn memes that were perpetuated by Russian and Chinese bot farms?
                                Neither the Chinese nor the Russians, a trace of IP addresses shows it all coming from ROME itself!! Many of those memes containing viruses delivered by A TROJAN HORSE!!

Thanks!! I'll be here all week!

Comment

Working...
                                X