Furnish it!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnish it!!

I took advanced wood shop and drafting in high school. I never had the intention of using it as a profession but I've always loved making things or of wood. For the past two decades that has mostly consisted of rough, outdoor stuff like fences, doghouses, shelving, etc.

Now that I have a bit more money and a bigger garage than 20 years ago, I've stocked up on tools and other gadgets. The main plan is to build desks and bookcases for my study, however since I've never don't cabinetry I'm doing some smaller projects to work out the bugs.

Over the past 3 weeks I've been building a child's desk. I did it without plans and it actually didn't turn out too bad. I need to work on joining edges together (just bought some Kreg clamps that should help in the future) and I've got a space between the frame and the side of the drawers that I should have covered but didn't. This is the first time I've made something with drawers. I also need to sand better and buy a planer (it's amazing how untrue even the nicer cut wood at Lowes can be). Still, the desk is actually pretty nice, functional, and strong. Here's some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Looks nice. Very impressive, Moliere.

Comment

Nice job! What kind of wood is it and how did you prep for finish?

Comment

Drawers are such a MPITA, but drawers made from real wood, and not MDF, always class up a piece of furniture. I'm impressed. Is that a solid piece on the side panel, or did you use a biscuit joiner to put planks together?
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Also, I just checked and you have a Rockler in Houston. My dad always liked them. He'd sometimes go there when he had business in Minneapolis and then use Delta Dash to mail stuff back to himself.

http://www.rockler.com/
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            Drawers are such a MPITA, but drawers made from real wood, and not MDF, always class up a piece of furniture. I'm impressed. Is that a solid piece on the side panel, or did you use a biscuit joiner to put planks together?
            I'd got to be several pieces joined together.

Looks great EJ.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              Nice job! What kind of wood is it and how did you prep for finish?
              Thanks. It's solid pine with the exception of the drawer frames, which are birch plywood.

I actually don't like the stain used in it. MJ wanted to stain it and she said she had some maple colored stain, which I would have wanted. But I guess we were out so she used something much darker (I think it was espresso). I then put on a couple coats of a polyurethane finish to harden and protect it.

But it's fine since it's my first one and really just a trial run so I could learn some stuff. It ended up being better than I imagined, meaning to useful as a desk and not too bad looking, so it's going in my oldest sons room.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Furnish it!!

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                The drawer frames are birch plywood. I couldn't find solid pine thin enough and wide enough so I just used plywood. A nail gun helped a ton and I couldn't imagine doing drawers without one. The hard part was installing the runners and getting them all lined up and level.

The side panels are three solid pieces glued together. I don't like biscuits when gluing side grain (they frankly aren't needed, the glue is plenty strong). Biscuits would be more helpful for end grain joining.

The top is four solid pine boards glued together, but I used a pocket hole jig and screwed them together after applying glue. The screws aren't needed for strength (the glue is strong enough) but it helps hold it together while the glue dries since I only have two long clamps and the top is 47 inches long.

I also found out on this project that my miter saw (dewalt chop saw) is not perfectly square so I need to fix that.

Last edited by Moliere; 01-27-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

The wood bed frame my wife had before we got married has been in our garage for over a decade. We got it out to put it in our daughter's room today, and found that we only had the headboard and footboard - the connecting pieces were nowhere to be found. I doubt we'll be able to find appropriate replacement pieces.

I'm thinking that maybe I can build some acceptable replacements. Any ideas?

I'll try to remember to post pictures of the headboard and footboard if possible.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    The wood bed frame my wife had before we got married has been in our garage for over a decade. We got it out to put it in our daughter's room today, and found that we only had the headboard and footboard - the connecting pieces were nowhere to be found. I doubt we'll be able to find appropriate replacement pieces.

I'll try to remember to post pictures of the headboard and footboard if possible.
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

You may need to learn to let go of things...

And I wouldn't recommend going with wood. That stuff is expensive!

Comment

What are the chances the connecting pieces were repurposed for a different project of yours? "Hmm, these boards would be perfect for this thing I'm working on"...

Comment

Still waiting on pics!

i totally think you should build some replacements. It may justify buying some new tools!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

What are the chances the connecting pieces were repurposed for a different project of yours? "Hmm, these boards would be perfect for this thing I'm working on"...
                            Pretty low.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Still waiting on pics!

i totally think you should build some replacements. It may justify buying some new tools!
                              I intended to take those pictures before leaving the house today. Maybe tonight.
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                              X