General Aviation: The CS Pilot thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Aviation: The CS Pilot thread

This thread could be one post, but do any of you have your pilots license?

My boss has a nice little plane and uses it frequently to fly throughout Texas. We are starting to travel a lot more than we used to for different events, and I thought it may be worth exploring.

My mission buddy died in a plane crash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_N...ty_plane_crash), and since then, I've been a little hesitant to follow through.

Also, planes are expensive.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    This thread could be one post, but do any of you have your pilots license?

My boss has a nice little plane and uses it frequently to fly throughout Texas. We are starting to travel a lot more than we used to for different events, and I thought it may be worth exploring.

My mission buddy died in a plane crash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_N...ty_plane_crash), and since then, I've been a little hesitant to follow through.

Also, planes are expensive.
    I've personally known 4 different people who have crashed and died these small personal planes. I also feel like I've seen too many others on the news. Even if I could afford one, I don't think I'd ever go through with it. call it paranoia - I'm okay with that.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

My SIL's husband took up flying during residency. He has bought 2 planes. It is an expensive habit, but I think they live pretty frugally otherwise. I've been up with him once, and I can see the reason why he likes it. I don't think I would take it up though.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

A friend of mine owns a plane, he crashed last year and lived to tell about it. He bought another plane recently, so it clearly didn't scare him that bad. In fact he just flew from California to some Aviation nerdfest in Osh Kosh. Said it was the trip of a lifetime. Everyone flys in and camps out for 3-4 days.
        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          I've personally known 4 different people who have crashed and died these small personal planes. I also feel like I've seen too many others on the news. Even if I could afford one, I don't think I'd ever go through with it. call it paranoia - I'm okay with that.
          I only know the one guy, but I have friends and co-workers who are connected with people who have died in these planes.

I'm in the same boat. I'd really like to do it, but the consequences of mechanical and pilot error are severe.

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            My SIL's husband took up flying during residency. He has bought 2 planes. It is an expensive habit, but I think they live pretty frugally otherwise. I've been up with him once, and I can see the reason why he likes it. I don't think I would take it up though.
            Colloquially known as a brother-in-law (BIL).

Comment

I'm a property manager in my current position. I was recently moved to aviation, and manage helicopters. I dread the day when we lose another helicopter in a training accident or on a deployment. About 10 years ago we lost an Apache west of Utah Lake.

Comment

I thought about getting a license, and in fact took a couple of flight lessons in a glider (and more recently, in a powered hangglider) but having demonstrated I can't even ride a bike without injury, I'll be staying away from the pilot's seat in the future.

Comment

I understand your thinking, but I don't think this is actually the case. Wife's sister (your SIL) marries a guy = your SIL's husband. He's not your brother.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

If you think you would enjoy it, go for it. But be careful!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

There is a Pilot gas station at exit 263 on I5 I started stopping at all the time 7-8 years ago because it had Diet Mt. Dew in the fountain drinks. It is always so crowded now that I've thought about finding a new truck stop, but I want to participate in this thread so I've got a renewed dedication!
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        I understand your thinking, but I don't think this is actually the case. Wife's sister (your SIL) marries a guy = your SIL's husband. He's not your brother.
                        Exactly. I know others who lump in their in law spouses as in laws themselves, but I just can't bring myself to do it. He's not my brother in law, man!
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          You are correct. He is your brother-in-law.

Comment

You are correct. He is your brother-in-law.
                            No, he's your sister in law's husband!
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

It's getting more safe. The new ballistic parachutes are really cool and remove some of the risk.

Comment

Working...
                              X