Taking Advantage of the Hurricane Matthew Destruction to Upgrade the Old Manse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
    Really like those columns. They look great. Question: did you explore the cost difference between wood and other more weather-resistant options (PVC, for example). Seems like the upkeep on the wood might become a PITA.
    The humidity in the Southeastern US makes it so that you have to paint every 5-8 years on any north-facing or heavily-shaded white surface anyway (look at the ceiling in the closeup photo of the exterior front door. That was painted in October 2010 and has been washed with bleach twice since then), and we wanted to be able to do things like hang things from them without worrying about splitting the PVC. Given those parameters, the contractor recommended wood, so we went with wood.

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    What does that writing say? Graba melones? Melania?
    I sometimes do a food co-op where I sell shares of the co-op for $20 each, and then I go to the state farmers market in Columbia and use all of the money to buy whole cases of produce in bulk. Then, when I get home, I divvy the produce up into equal portions times the number of shares sold. So, if I sell 20 shares, I've got $400 (which buys a shit ton of produce), and then I divide everything by 20. Well, we used to divide it up in my carport, and one time, I got enough watermelons for everyone to have one in the co-op. The brunette, at maybe age 6 or 7, not thinking that it wouldn't rain under the carport, but trying really hard to pitch in and help us, wrote on the wall, "Grab a Melon!" And, well, it made my heart happy to see the innocence of her heart in trying to help and make sure that people didn't forget their melon, that I never erased off the wall. It's been up there since like 2008 or 2009 I think. Most people see it and think, "Tacky." I see it and miss my little girl. She's a freshman in high school, on the track and field team (shot put, hammer throw, and discus), and will get her learner's permit in May. But, I miss this little thing sometimes, and that chalk graffiti helped me remember her like that every time I came home.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

That blue on the siding looks nice.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          The humidity in the Southeastern US makes it so that you have to paint every 5-8 years on any north-facing or heavily-shaded white surface anyway (look at the ceiling in the closeup photo of the exterior front door. That was painted in October 2010 and has been washed with bleach twice since then), and we wanted to be able to do things like hang things from them without worrying about splitting the PVC. Given those parameters, the contractor recommended wood, so we went with wood.

I sometimes do a food co-op where I sell shares of the co-op for $20 each, and then I go to the state farmers market in Columbia and use all of the money to buy whole cases of produce in bulk. Then, when I get home, I divvy the produce up into equal portions times the number of shares sold. So, if I sell 20 shares, I've got $400 (which buys a shit ton of produce), and then I divide everything by 20. Well, we used to divide it up in my carport, and one time, I got enough watermelons for everyone to have one in the co-op. The brunette, at maybe age 6 or 7, not thinking that it wouldn't rain under the carport, but trying really hard to pitch in and help us, wrote on the wall, "Grab a Melon!" And, well, it made my heart happy to see the innocence of her heart in trying to help and make sure that people didn't forget their melon, that I never erased off the wall. It's been up there since like 2008 or 2009 I think. Most people see it and think, "Tacky." I see it and miss my little girl. She's a freshman in high school, on the track and field team (shot put, hammer throw, and discus), and will get her learner's permit in May. But, I miss this little thing sometimes, and that chalk graffiti helped me remember her like that every time I came home.

Sweet memory and cute picture.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I might ask them to re measure that driveway...
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                I might ask them to re measure that driveway...
                That's my drawing. SCDOT maintains the road I live on, and only the property owner is allowed to submit applications for encroachment. I can't even have someone draw up the plans for me! I was assured that a rudimentary drawing was all that was needed since all they care about is where they cut will be and if there will be an expansion joint between the asphalt and concrete.

Comment

Christmas lights' plug, controlled by a switch inside.

Comment

Cool looking fans.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Cool looking fans.
                      The blades are solid wood; that's the best fan blade material to use outside in high-humidity environments, we were told.

Comment

The reno looks great. I love the porch with fans. Makes me jealous.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hey, we installed one of those pull-down ladder things this past week in our garage. I wish we had done it years ago.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Hey, we installed one of those pull-down ladder things this past week in our garage. I wish we had done it years ago.

That one is duty-rated for 375 lbs, and I can now use it!

Comment

Working...
                                X