No announcement yet.

Taking Advantage of the Hurricane Matthew Destruction to Upgrade the Old Manse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We decided to cut a hole from the new office into the rest of the house. We took out the old carport window and we're going to brick it in. We decided that a window in the middle of the house would be weird, and since this brick is getting painted over, we don't need to worry about the mortar matching. The new 1 1/2 ton unit for this side of the house is installed, and most of the duct work is in place. The compressor is not in place outside yet.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

These photos show the completion of the insulation, the installation of the new ton and 1/2 unit for that side of the house, the duct work and returns for it, the raising of the floor where there used to be a landing so that it's the same height as the rest of the floor, and the reworking of the plumbing and fixtures in the bathroom downstairs. Also, the brick in that bathroom, since it used to be outside before the addition, may become the wall on one side (save in the shower itself) since it's a prepared surface, and would be an interesting contrast of texture and color. The hallway outside the bathroom is all brick already.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

The mason has almost finished the bases for the columns that will hold up the porch roof. These will be Craftsman-style tapered columns.

Comment

My wife just sent this to me of the first column prototype. Cool.

Comment

Love those craftsman columns.

Question: is the yellow on siding of the new addition going to be painted white? Maybe that's just the raw color? I personally prefer the yellow. Maybe you should do the whole house that color.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Love those craftsman columns.

Question: is the yellow on siding of the new addition going to be painted white? Maybe that's just the raw color? I personally prefer the yellow. Maybe you should do the whole house that color.
              That's the color the siding comes in. My wife wants a gray color on the siding.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                That's the color the siding comes in. My wife wants a gray color on the siding.
                Fine. Side with your wife over me.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Fine. Side with your wife over me.

Comment

Going to install French doors?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Going to install French doors?
                      Double barn doors.

Comment

Comment

Comment

looks nice. upgrade that exterior lighting tho.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Really like those columns. They look great. Question: did you explore the cost difference between wood and other more weather-resistant options (PVC, for example). Seems like the upkeep on the wood might become a PITA.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

What does that writing say? Graba melones? Melania?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X