Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight sucked.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Hope Patch can return to form.

Interesting enough, he served here in C-bus and spent a good portion of his mission at the University Ward and got to play a good amount with Ohio St.'s team..

On a side note, he is an awesome photographer. Took our family photos while he was in our Ward..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
        Hope Patch can return to form.

Interesting enough, he served here in C-bus and spent a good portion of his mission at the University Ward and got to play a good amount with Ohio St.'s team..

On a side note, he is an awesome photographer. Took our family photos while he was in our Ward..

He is also super gay

*Banned*

Comment

After dropping their conference tournament semifinal match to Hawaii, the Cougars secured the 3 seed for the national tournament. I hope they get on a run, but they've appeared at times to be a supremely talented team that hasn't put the work in to fine tune the little things that make the difference between winning and losing championship-level matches. Also, LBSU is really good this year (as is Ohio State, I imagine).
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
            After dropping their conference tournament semifinal match to Hawaii, the Cougars secured the 3 seed for the national tournament. I hope they get on a run, but they've appeared at times to be a supremely talented team that hasn't put the work in to fine tune the little things that make the difference between winning and losing championship-level matches. Also, LBSU is really good this year (as is Ohio State, I imagine).
            I think this is the possible cause for why BYU had a slight drop-off from last season, but I'm not sure it's entirely fair. For example, consider the injuries during the season. All of the following had to sit out multiple games:

1. Patch
            2. Langlois
            3. Sander

So every returning pin-hitter sat out multiple games and Sander and Langlois played significant minutes injured. The strength of BYU's team last year was they were probably the best out of system offensive team. Sure, BYU was relatively poor at keeping in system (relative to other top 5 teams) but BYU could just throw it up to guys like Patch and they would still get kills at a pretty good clip out of system. The injuries on the outside really disrupted this dynamic. Dobert is a solid Opposite and does a number of things quite well, but he is not really an opposite that can thrive when BYU is out of system and he is Leo's only offensive outlet.

4. Sykes.
            5. Price Garmin
            6. Will Stanley

In my view there is a pretty big drop-off between Sykes and the other Liberos. Sykes not only has better range, but he takes charge of the defense in ways the other Liberos don't. Not sure we lose a both of those early matches with a healthy Sykes. Garmin is BYU's best middle, and got banged up going into the home stretch.

I think the only other team with injury problems has severe as BYU was UCLA, and UCLA suffered a bigger drop-off. Even given that, using a reasonable computer model you end up with just noise between the top 4 teams. They are all similar quality.
            Last edited by pelagius; 04-24-2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
              I think this is the possible cause for why BYU had a slight drop-off from last season, but I'm not sure it's entirely fair. For example, consider the injuries during the season. All of the following had to sit out multiple games:

1. Patch
              2. Langlois
              3. Sander

So every returning pin-hitter sat out multiple games and Sander and Langlois played significant minutes injured. The strength of BYU's team last year was they were probably the best out of system offensive team. Sure, BYU was relatively poor at keeping in system (relative to other top 5 teams) but BYU could just throw it up to guys like Patch and they would still get kills at a pretty good clip out of system. The injuries on the outside really disrupted this dynamic. Dobert is a solid Opposite and does a number of things quite well, but he is not really an opposite that can thrive when BYU is out of system and he is Leo's only offensive outlet.

4. Sykes.
              5. Price Garmin
              6. Will Stanley

In my view there is a pretty big drop-off between Sykes and the other Liberos. Sykes not only has better range, but he takes charge of the defense in ways the other Liberos don't. Not sure we lose a both of those early matches with a healthy Sykes. Garmin is BYU's best middle, and got banged up going into the home stretch.

I think the only other team with injury problems has severe as BYU was UCLA, and UCLA suffered a bigger drop-off. Even given that, using a reasonable computer model you end up with just noise between the top 4 teams. They are all similar quality.
              Your analysis makes sense, and I have noticed that BYU seems to drop off quite a bit during this time of year.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Barton goes down easily. Time for the Long Beach St. rematch.

Comment

Barton goes down easily. Time for the Long Beach St. rematch.
                  How will BYU respond to the Beach's hitting out of the Middle Blockers? BYU tends to rely too much on Patch and Sander plus out of system points. Against the Beach, that doesn't work as BYU can't generate enough points.

What will BYU do to neutralize the Beach? I know we took one of two in Provo, but overall, the Beach is more consistent and BYU will need to play over its head to defeat the Beach.

Why do you believe Pelagius BYU's system no longer seems to hit out of the middle block? The excuse I hear is that we don't pass well, but there was a day when BYU hit out of the middle block.

If you can hit out of the middle block, you can confuse the defense to avoid two and three blockers, because the defense doesn't know are they going inside or outside. With BYU, you generally know it's going outside.
                  Last edited by Topper; 05-03-2017, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Referring to Long Beach as the Beach sounds silly to me. Do they really call themselves that or are you trying to make fun of them?
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      Referring to Long Beach as the Beach sounds silly to me. Do they really call themselves that or are you trying to make fun of them?
                      They refer to themselves that way, sometimes. It is also easier for me to type that as opposed to Long Beach State and I don't like LBSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        They refer to themselves that way, sometimes. It is also easier for me to type that as opposed to Long Beach State and I don't like LBSU.
                        CSULB. And yes, they're commonly known as "the Beach." Unless we're talking about their college baseball team, which is known as "the Dirtbags."

Comment

Why do you believe Pelagius BYU's system no longer seems to hit out of the middle block? The excuse I hear is that we don't pass well, but there was a day when BYU hit out of the middle block.
                          Yeah, the major variable for middle use is staying in system. If Leo has to run 10 meters to set, he at best has two options and they are both on the outside. I don't think it's more mysterious than that. It also matters that BYU over the past few years has had the best collection of pin hitters in the game (in some sense the answer is that, of course, BYU is going to use the middles less than other teams), and while I like Leo he is not as good as say Long Beach St's setter.
                          Last edited by pelagius; 05-03-2017, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                            CSULB. And yes, they're commonly known as "the Beach." Unless we're talking about their college baseball team, which is known as "the Dirtbags."
                            I'm sure Dirtbags is a fitting name. From now on I'm telling people I'm from the Lake.
                            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Yeah, the major variable for middle use is staying in system. If Leo has to run 10 meters to set, he at best has two options and they are both on the outside. I don't think it's more mysterious than that. It also matters that BYU over the past few years has had the best collection of pin hitters in the game (in some sense the answer is that, of course, BYU is going to use the middles less than other teams), and while I like Leo he is not as good as say Long Beach St's setter.
                              Do you have a prediction for Thursday's contest? For me, it seems as if the styles of play as well as talent favors the Dirtbags.

Comment

Do you have a prediction for Thursday's contest? For me, it seems as if the styles of play as well as talent favors the Dirtbags.
                                Probabilities: 60-70% change Long Beach wins. I think BYU wins if they have an above average serving game (top tercile essentially). I don't think they need to be lights out but I do think they need to be in their top tercile in terms of forcing Long Beach St out of system.

Comment

Working...
                                X