Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 125

Thread: BYU Men's Volleyball 2017

  1. #1

    Default BYU Men's Volleyball 2017

    The team is a bit banged up at the start of the season. Erik Sikes (returning starting Libero) hasn't played at all, and Brendan Sander is banged up; he didn't play this last weekend at all (but it was against a couple of over matched teams).

    Things I liked from the weekend. Ben Patch actually put together a nice serving run against Concordia. If Patch becomes a consistent server he's the best player in the country. Storm Fa'agata-Tufuga gives BYU another talented pin hitter; of course, he is way undersized. One the other hand, it's clear he is one of the best servers on the team (which will be helpful situationally when Brendan Sander returns). Also, I was impressed with his passing (a real weakness for BYU). I really like Miki Jauhiainen too. I think he will become one of the starting MBs as he gets a little more time in BYU's system..
    Last edited by pelagius; 01-16-2017 at 06:11 PM.

  2. #2
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    The team is a bit banged up at the start of the season. Erik Sikes (returning starting Libero) hasn't played at all, and Brendan Sander is banged up; he didn't play this last weekend at all (but it was against a couple of over matched teams).

    Things I liked from the weekend. Ben Patch actually put together a nice serving run against Concordia. If Patch becomes a consistent server he's the best player in the country. Storm Fa'agata-Tufuga gives BYU another talented pin hitter; of course, he is way undersized. One the other hand, it's clear he is one of the best servers on the team (which will be helpful situationally when Brendan Sander returns). Also, I was impressed with his passing (a real weakness for BYU). I really like Miki Jauhiainen too. I think he will become one of the starting MBs as he gets a little more time in BYU's system..
    That would be nice if Patch could actually get a serve in once in a while. Last year was quite the adventure for him.

  3. #3
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    That would be nice if Patch could actually get a serve in once in a while. Last year was quite the adventure for him.
    So far he seems night and day better than last year.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  4. #4
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    The team is a bit banged up at the start of the season. Erik Sikes (returning starting Libero) hasn't played at all, and Brendan Sander is banged up; he didn't play this last weekend at all (but it was against a couple of over matched teams).

    Things I liked from the weekend. Ben Patch actually put together a nice serving run against Concordia. If Patch becomes a consistent server he's the best player in the country. Storm Fa'agata-Tufuga gives BYU another talented pin hitter; of course, he is way undersized. One the other hand, it's clear he is one of the best servers on the team (which will be helpful situationally when Brendan Sander returns). Also, I was impressed with his passing (a real weakness for BYU). I really like Miki Jauhiainen too. I think he will become one of the starting MBs as he gets a little more time in BYU's system..
    What was the reason for the loss to Loyola-Chicago?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    What was the reason for the loss to Loyola-Chicago?
    Didn't see it but if I had to guess:

    First order:
    Randomness that's part of all volleyball games
    Loyola is good
    Road game

    Second order:
    injuries
    bad passing
    Weakness at the MB spot
    Last edited by pelagius; 01-17-2017 at 01:23 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm watching a bit of the UCLA/BYU game on BYUtv. They didn't come out for the third set here; UCLA is up big.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  7. #7
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Fifth set. Come on guys.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  8. #8
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Middle blocking sucks.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  9. #9
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    We suck.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  10. #10
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    We look like shit.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  11. #11
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    We have no passing and no middle blocking. What an awful team.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    We have no passing and no middle blocking. What an awful team.
    Good heavens you are weird.

  13. #13
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Sanders is awful. Patch is good. Hatch is better.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  14. #14
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    BYU has Patch and and Langlois and nobody else.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  15. #15
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    This BYU team is awful
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  16. #16
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    What a shitty service by Patch
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  17. #17

    Default

    My goodness. We suck so freaking bad. We are awful. Just the absolute worst. We don't even belong on the same court as the #2 team in the country. I'm so mad. We are awful! Just TERRIBLE!!!!!!

  18. #18
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Good serve by Langlois.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  19. #19
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    What a shitty service by Patch
    You don't drink do you

  20. #20

    Default

    What a fun match. That fifth set was exciting. Glad to see BYU get the win.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  21. #21
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,954

    Default

    Great win. Gutsy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  22. #22
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    What a great crowd tonight and last night. We have P5 fans

  23. #23
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    What a great crowd tonight and last night. We have P5 fans
    BYU's middle blocking is poor. Ohio State will dominate there, if BYU ever gets that far.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  24. #24
    Senior Member byu71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    22,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    BYU's middle blocking is poor. Ohio State will dominate there, if BYU ever gets that far.
    I am glad you are on this board

  25. #25

    Default

    Wow, this thread went off the rails; What a match by Patch; so good.

  26. #26
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    Wow, this thread went off the rails; What a match by Patch; so good.
    I didn't watch the game but jumped into this thread where Topper was offering the customary calm, measured appraisal one reads whenever BYU falls behind. Based only on his commentary, I assumed we were getting drubbed by one of the worst teams in the nation.

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I didn't watch the game but jumped into this thread where Topper was offering the customary calm, measured appraisal one reads whenever BYU falls behind. Based only on his commentary, I assumed we were getting drubbed by one of the worst teams in the nation.
    Yeah, I don't think Topper's wrong about the play of the middles this season. We really miss Michael Hatch. UCLA getting way better in the middle made the boys looking particularly bad (that said, Price Garmin's solo block for the match point was spectacular ... so in the end ... the very end ... the middles delivered). I still think Miki is going to be good. Also Sander not being very healthy really became an issue later in the match. But, what Patch did was special.
    Last edited by pelagius; 02-03-2017 at 09:44 PM.

  28. #28
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Topper's wrong about the play of the middles this season. We really miss Michael Hatch. UCLA getting way better in the middle made the boys looking particularly bad (that said, Price Garmin's solo block for the match point was spectacular ... so in the end ... the very end ... the middles delivered). I still think Miki is going to be good. Also Sander not being very healthy really became an issue later in the match. But, what Patch did was special.
    Patch played very well. The middles delivered at the end, but were otherwise dominated by UCLA. Tonight, Patch will have to pour on again.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  29. #29
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Cougs jumped out big in first set, and again in the second but are fading.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  30. #30
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,243

    Default

    Cougs held on to win second set. Bruins are more energized after the comeback. Third set should be interesting.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •