Abandoned LDS Churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    HaHa, it is an ugly house. I have seen some rural LDS Churches turn into good homes but the one there in Paul is not of their numbers.
    You have a good eye napper... that is indeed the old chapel in Paul.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      Cool thread. This isn't as striking as the building in the OP, but the original American Fork Second Ward Meetinghouse was built in 1904. It was sold in 1984 and now houses Bigelow and Company Organ Builders.

[ATTACH]7644[/ATTACH]
      Cool looking building. I used to jog past this all the time when I worked at the American Fork Armory. There's another one on 3rd North my little brother had a wedding reception in.

Randy Bott bought the old Manila building in Pleasant Grove and renovated it for a reception center. It's wasn't as cool looking, but I loved playing Church Ball there as a kid. The gym was so small that it was fast break city.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
        YW. I guess you're right. It sounds like they sold the building because the Church was engaging in white flight. Since the neighborhood was "in decline" they thought they better get out rather than try to help the people in that neighborhood.

In any case, I think it's natural to assume that the growth rate would slow just before the Church actually starts to shrink--no?
        Just out of curiousity...

Tell us how you feel about City Creek and the LDS church's efforts to build up a neighborhood that is in decline rather than abandoning temple square.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          Just out of curiousity...

Tell us how you feel about City Creek and the LDS church's efforts to build up a neighborhood that is in decline rather than abandoning temple square.

Thanks!
          Oh boy. BM has a penchant for portraying any action by the LDS church in the worst possible light. He will have no problem ignoring any positive result from City Creek.

Comment

One of my best friend's growing up lived in a 50s chapel. It was awesome. Full court basketball court, working water fountains. His bedroom was the sacrament meeting room.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
              One of my best friend's growing up lived in a 50s chapel. It was awesome. Full court basketball court, working water fountains. His bedroom was the sacrament meeting room.
              I would have gone for the Primary or RS room for my bedroom. Did he get to take baths in the font?
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I had a friend growing up that lived in a former elementary school. The gym as still intact so they had an indoor basketball court. I was jealous. But I understand it cost a fortune to heat the place.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

byronm1.jpg
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    You have a good eye napper... that is indeed the old chapel in Paul.
                    Tis the route I take to games against the dreaded upper Magic Valley teams in the Northside Conference. It is also the route I take to Sun Valley. Through downtown Paul and pick up the Minidoka HWY, the gateway to the town Acey Shaw built or take the Richfield cutoff to head for some world famous cheese curds or to visit the town Scottie tore up. On the other hand I can get to Scotty's old burg via Arco and a visit to Pickles....choices..choices..

From what I can tell nobody lives in the old LDS Chapels in Dietrich, Richfield, Carey or Arco.
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                      They can probably hold hundreds of books in there!
                      Santaquin residents don't read very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        I would have gone for the Primary or RS room for my bedroom. Did he get to take baths in the font?
                        I wonder what the cost would have been to put some jets in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          Santaquin residents don't read very much!
                          Super mean post.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The original Phoenix stake had several unique buildings that were buikt in the 40s and 50s, but were sold in thr 70s. I've never heard a reason, but aleays assumed it was for poor HVAC purposes, as they were mostly all replaced with standard lds buildings.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

It is very noble of the LDS Church to build City Creek in an effort to save the neighborhood surrounding their own headquarters. Also, I think we can all acknowledge that the LDS Church abandons various buildings for different reasons--some good, and some bad.

In terms of mocking Byron Marchant (using a photo of the actual Byron Marchant), consider the following:

1. Byron Marchant opposed the ban on black men having the priesthood.
                              2. He was employed by the Church.
                              3. He lost his job because he did what was right even though the Church was doing something racist.
                              4. Not long after these events, the Church changed their policy on black men having the priesthood.

The Church has never apologized to the actual Byron Marchant--something any honorable church would do. The Church refuses to do honorable things like apologize to good people like the actual Byron Marchant (or to all black men across the world prior to 1978) because the Church's pride is more important than doing what's right.

The Church did manage to apologize for Mountain Meadows about 150 years after it occured. This made news, since it was a departure from the Church's traditional behavior, and further supports my argument about the Church's pride since it took 150 years for an open apology for Mormons' commission of the greatest massacre of innocent Americans prior to September 11th, 2001.
                              Last edited by ByronMarchant; 01-04-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

The excommunication of Byron Marchant in October 1977--over his advocacy for black Mormon men to receive the priesthood--less than one year before the Church gave black men the priesthood:

https://www.newspapers.com/image/?sp...4e50506d726c2b

Byron Marchant.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X