Abandoned LDS Churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I live in the city and the neighbors said they would get mad if I put up an OTA antenna... some of them have dishes on their roofs so I guess they don't have a problem with those.
    ??????????? Don't you live in Texas? Have they no respect for property rights down there?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      The church I went to as a child was sold some time back... I have been told that the buyer lives in it:

[ATTACH]7645[/ATTACH]
      HaHa, it is an ugly house. I have seen some rural LDS Churches turn into good homes but the one there in Paul is not of their numbers.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        LOL, while we disagree on a lot of things I have always considered you a full witt and not a half witt.

I am sure you have heard of the churches welfare system and humanitarian systeml. If not read up on them so you won't make such assinine statements in the future.
        Show me the data!

Comment

I tried finding it online and couldn't, but in the 90s, a new LDS chapel near Palm Desert was built, and the old one was sold to a hispanic congregation. The new one was nearby, in a nicer neighborhood, and I was told that the hispanic congregation got a bargain price. Classic white flight!

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
            Show me the data!
            Google it.

Comment

In the early 60's the LDS church in the city of Santaquin, UT abandoned their pioneer-era chapel (due to growth!) and build a big new church. They eventually sold the old chapel to the Assembly of God church, who used it for many years. Then the city bought it back from the church, restored it, and turned it into a library. Beautiful building, inside and out. Glad they saved it.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

More on the chapel that inspired this post (thank again, Bryon!):

dc7.jpg

dc1.jpg

Some of the stained glass that still exists on the chapel. The bottom one shows the 4 books of scripture (PoGP!) that we believe in.

dc3.jpg

The lovely fountain added by the Moonies.

dc4.jpg

This shot shows some of the cool engravings on the church. Sunstones, anyone?

dc6.jpg

The moonies have tried to remove all signs of mormons, but they don't know our scriptures very well!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  In the early 60's the LDS church in the city of Santaquin, UT abandoned their pioneer-era chapel (due to growth!) and build a big new church. They eventually sold the old chapel to the Assembly of God church, who used it for many years. Then the city bought it back from the church, restored it, and turned it into a library. Beautiful building, inside and out. Glad they saved it.

Typical white flight! Santaquin is full of colored people.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Typical white flight! Santaquin is full of colored people.
                    Si.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

dc5.jpg

The frieze, designed by brigham Young's grandson, Mahonri, is beautiful. Mahonri also did the Eagle gate in Salt Lake and This Is The Place.

dc2.jpg

One can imagine a healthy conversation in the bishop's office about chastity occurring in this room, or a cult-like ceremony involving a Korean Jesus

Edit: More for those interested: https://cdn.loc.gov/master/pnp/habsh...dc0586data.pdf

Comment

A friend of my wife's family bought the old chapel in Shelley, ID decades ago. We visited them years ago and played basketball in the cold gym. Apparently it costs a lot to heat the whole building. Don't know if they are still there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                          Here's a building in Idaho Falls that the church abandoned to the Salvation Army. Built in the 30s, it was sold by the church in the 90s (no doubt in response to a declining neighborhood). Looking back, I remember tutoring kids in one of the upper rooms just a year or two after it sold.

[ATTACH]7648[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7649[/ATTACH]

These images are from https://ldsarchitecture.wordpress.com/, which is a pretty cool website for this stuff.
                          I spent way too much time looking at that site. There are some pretty neat buildings out there.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

They can probably hold hundreds of books in there!
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

This Old House ran a series about a 1906 Arts & Crafts style Mormon Church in San Francisco converted into a home:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/san-francisco-house

Before:

After:

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                                ??????????? Don't you live in Texas? Have they no respect for property rights down there?
                                Yeah there are no regulations but I do have to live with my neighbors bitching about it.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X