Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 121 to 130 of 130

Thread: Abandoned LDS Churches

  1. #121
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    I think most people agree that BY lied and acted unethically after the massacre. And the hysteria that led to the massacre has BY's fingerprints all over it. He did, after all, declare martial law before the immigrants entered Utah. Those facts are significant enough to be added to the epitaph of Young. But it is a big stretch to think he ordered it, or at least was aware of it and did nothing to prevent it.
    Walker/Turley are working on a book about the aftermath. Looks like that might take 10 years too.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  2. #122
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Cool looking building. I used to jog past this all the time when I worked at the American Fork Armory. There's another one on 3rd North my little brother had a wedding reception in.

    Randy Bott bought the old Manila building in Pleasant Grove and renovated it for a reception center. It's wasn't as cool looking, but I loved playing Church Ball there as a kid. The gym was so small that it was fast break city.
    I'm easily amused.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  3. #123
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    Here's a picture of the old LaGrande, OR Tabernacle. My Grandfather was the Bishop there for 20 years. I remember going to that church when we visited when I was a kid, and how huge it was. It was torn down in the 70's as there were concerns about it's safety and seismic vulnerability. I think a lot of the old church's were sold or torn down due to modern safety requirements.


    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  4. #124
    Senior Member Crockett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Orygun
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Here's a picture of the old LaGrande, OR Tabernacle. My Grandfather was the Bishop there for 20 years. I remember going to that church when we visited when I was a kid, and how huge it was. It was torn down in the 70's as there were concerns about it's safety and seismic vulnerability. I think a lot of the old church's were sold or torn down due to modern safety requirements.

    Why were there so many members of the church in La Grande back then?

  5. #125
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    9,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Why were there so many members of the church in La Grande back then?
    Because they wanted eternal life?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  6. #126
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    Why were there so many members of the church in La Grande back then?
    Brigham Young assigned people to live there as part of the State of Deseret. Just like the people in Canada, and the ones in Mexico. San Bernadino was also a Mormon settlement if I'm not mistaken.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  7. #127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Brigham Young assigned people to live there as part of the State of Deseret. Just like the people in Canada, and the ones in Mexico. San Bernadino was also a Mormon settlement if I'm not mistaken.
    Yep. My 2nd great-grandfather was assigned to settle in La Grande from Mapleton and is buried there. My grandpa was born there but my great-grandpa moved back to Salt Lake in hopes that the dry air would help his asthma.
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

  8. #128
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Brigham Young assigned people to live there as part of the State of Deseret. Just like the people in Canada, and the ones in Mexico. San Bernadino was also a Mormon settlement if I'm not mistaken.
    The Canada and Mexico settlements were more than just settlements. They were attempts to avoid prosecution for polygamy in the US.

  9. #129
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    The Canada and Mexico settlements were more than just settlements. They were attempts to avoid prosecution for polygamy in the US.
    Why would they attempt to flee to other nations if polygamy was wrong and the church was going to denounce it anyway... isn't that what prophets are for?

    He said... as he stirs the pot some more.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  10. #130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Why would they attempt to flee to other nations if polygamy was wrong and the church was going to denounce it anyway... isn't that what prophets are for?

    He said... as he stirs the pot some more.
    Because, silly. In another dimension it isn't wrong and the church never denounces it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •