Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netanyahu is a joke and Israel needs to do more to achieve peace

Default Netanyahu is a joke and Israel needs to do more to achieve peace

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...aration-of-war

Opposing something Israel does in the UN is now a declaration of war

He is a nutjob.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    He is a nutjob.
    I suppose if we shared a boarder with the terrorists of the middle east who were trying to literally exterminate us you might be considered a nut job too, if you were in charge.

That isn't to say that I don't think that Israel doesn't share in the blame in the conflict with the Palestinians, only that it is easy to cast judgement on both sides while we sit an ocean away with friendly countries sharing our boarders.

Needless to say, it is very complicated. Netanyahu is the second longest running PM since the establishment of the State of Israel (Ben Gurion was the longest). He obviously enjoys the support of most Israelis.

This is an interesting view from the Israeli side:

The War on Israel Never Ends
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...aration-of-war

Opposing something Israel does in the UN is now a declaration of war

It seems the UN is doing exactly what the Obama administration is telling it to do... is there anything that they can't f*ck up when it comes to foreign policy?

After back-stabbing Israel, Team Obama pretends its hands are clean

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

And Krauthammer may be right about turning the UN building into condos...

It is time for some other country to fund the "jackals" and their actions.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    I suppose if we shared a boarder with the terrorists of the middle east who were trying to literally exterminate us you might be considered a nut job too, if you were in charge.

That isn't to say that I don't think that Israel doesn't share in the blame in the conflict with the Palestinians, only that it is easy to cast judgement on both sides while we sit an ocean away with friendly countries sharing our boarders.
    Classic response. Virtually anything can be justified by blasting that trusty dog whistle. No logic needed.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Classic response. Virtually anything can be justified by blasting that trusty dog whistle. No logic needed.
    Lol.....relax Lebowski....I am not passing judgement on who is right and who is wrong with respect to the conflict, merely pointing out that we would act very differently if we were the Palestinians in the conflict or if we were the Israelis.

One thing I cannot imagine, however, is how I would respond as an Israeli. Everyone in the region hates them. Many not only hate them, but want every single jew destroyed from off the face of the earth. Again without casting judgement on either side regarding their actions being right or wrong, the reactions and actions of both sides are going to be extreme because of what is at stake.

I see Max and his running dog Lebowski are out in full force on this issue again.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I see Max and his running dog Lebowski are out in full force on this issue again.
    Are you not entertained?!

Why are they so pissed now? The US has been consistent in not supporting settlements in occupied territories since the beginning. This is merely posturing for the incoming administration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly told New Zealand’s foreign minister that support for a UN resolution condemning Israeli settlement-building in the occupied territories would be viewed as a “declaration of war”.
    Yeah, despite Iman's middle of the fray posturing, I'm going to side with the 'joke and nutjob' faction here.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Why are they so pissed now? The US has been consistent in not supporting settlements in occupied territories since the beginning. This is merely posturing for the incoming administration.

The resolution includes East Jerusalem, right? If Krauthammer is right and the resolution states that Jews living in the Jewish Quarter of the old city are in violation of international law, than I understand the histrionics. I also doubt that Netanyahu told New Zealand it was a declaration of war. I don't think he's that nuts. Maybe, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    The resolution includes East Jerusalem, right? If Krauthammer is right and the resolution states that Jews living in the Jewish Quarter of the old city are in violation of international law, than I understand the histrionics. I also doubt that Netanyahu told New Zealand it was a declaration of war. I don't think he's that nuts. Maybe, though.
    Of course, the declaration of war is 'alleged'. But I would not put it past him. We have seen him act aggressively when he has US support.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Of course, the declaration of war is 'alleged'. But I would not put it past him. We have seen him act aggressively when he has US support.
    lol, New Zealand better put itself on high alert for fear of Israeli warplanes attacking strategic locations in Middle Earth.

A good editorial from the Post:

On Israel, we’re right back where Obama started

In fact, the two-state solution remains entirely viable, as even the settlement statistics cited by Mr. Kerry demonstrate. The administration asserts that the Jewish population in the West Bank has increased by 100,000 since 2009 — but by Mr. Kerry’s account, 80 percent of that growth was in areas Israel would likely annex in any settlement. In eight years, 20,000 people have been added to communities in territory likely to become part of Palestine — an area where 2.75 million Arabs now live. That growth of about 3 percent per annum, the product of a restraint for which Mr. Netanyahu received no White House credit, means that the Jewish population outside Israel’s West Bank fence may have decreased as a percentage of the overall population even as Mr. Obama and Mr. Kerry have made it the focal point of U.S. policy.

What blocks the two-state solution is not demography, but a failure of leadership among Israelis and Palestinians. Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas walked away from a generous Israeli statehood offer eight years ago and in 2014 refused to accept the framework for a settlement that Mr. Kerry outlined on Wednesday. Though he has endorsed two states, Mr. Netanyahu has been unwilling to stand up to nationalists to his right.

It’s unlikely that Israeli and Palestinian leaders who are willing and able to reach agreement will emerge in the near future. That’s why the best U.S. policy would be to work to preserve the option of Palestinian statehood for the longer term, by combating Palestinian corruption and political dysfunction and by encouraging Israel to facilitate the growth of a viable West Bank economy. A new U.S. administration could also work to strike a deal on settlements that restricted all growth to areas that would not be part of a Palestinian state. That would require the sort of pragmatic clear-headedness that for eight years eluded the Obama administration.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

Netanyahu seems to have more than a few of these symptoms:

Symptoms of Paranoid Personality Disorder

According to the DSM-5, there are two primary diagnostic criterion for Paranoid Personality Disorder of which criterion A has seven sub features, four of which must be present to warrant a diagnosis of PPD:

Criterion A is: Global mistrust and suspicion of others motives which commences in adulthood. The seven sub features of criterion A are:

1.The person with PPD will believe others are using, lying to, or harming them, without apparent evidence thereof.
    2.They will have doubts about the loyalty and trustworthiness of others,
    3.,They will not confide in others due to the belief that their confidence will be betrayed.
    4.They will interpret ambiguous or benign remarks as hurtful or threatening, and
    5. Hold grudges,
    6. In the absence of objective evidence, believe their reputation or character are being assailed by others, and will retaliate in some manner and
    7. Will be jealous and suspicious without cause that intimate partners are being unfaithful.
    http://www.theravive.com/therapedia/...-301.0-(F60.0)
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

BigFatMeanie's prediction for the 21st century: The two-state solution will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    Netanyahu seems to have more than a few of these symptoms:

Symptoms of Paranoid Personality Disorder

http://www.theravive.com/therapedia/...-301.0-(F60.0)
    Most everyone here have more than a few of those symptoms.

Ummm given the policy statements made by the leaders of Iran, it seems that Netanyahu has a fair amount of pretty good evidence that they ARE out to get Israel. Or I guess I could say I find a listing of dsm criteria to be of little or no value In this context. The same statement could be made about Hilary and bill Clinton, trump, ted Cruz, both bushes and so forth.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    lol, New Zealand better put itself on high alert for fear of Israeli warplanes attacking strategic locations in Middle Earth.

A good editorial from the Post:

On Israel, we’re right back where Obama started
    Just to be clear, I don't think Israel would ever attack anyone outside of the middle east. I'm just saying the 'alleged' story of him telling NZ that their support of the resolution would be tantamount to a declaration of war doesn't seem far fetched to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I believe Obama and his Admin. have stated in the past and again via Kerry that they want the borders to go back to what they were in 1967..

That seems pretty unreasonable to accomplish now..

I have found this past 8 years to be contentious from Obama's Admin. and it will be interesting to see what takes place in the future..

Four Israeli soldiers killed in truck attack in Jerusalem

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    I believe Obama and his Admin. have stated in the past and again via Kerry that they want the borders to go back to what they were in 1967..

That seems pretty unreasonable to accomplish now..

I have found this past 8 years to be contentious from Obama's Admin. and it will be interesting to see what takes place in the future..

why? this is the whole problem with israels settlements. they keep trying to expand their map and then after they build they say well we cant go back to old map!

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Four Israeli soldiers killed in truck attack in Jerusalem

No one here is denying palestinian terrorism is a problem. However, occupation has always helped breed terrorism, and such is the case in Israel. this doesnt mean the fault of terrorism lies with Israel, but the connection is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    No one here is denying palestinian terrorism is a problem. However, occupation has always helped breed terrorism, and such is the case in Israel. this doesnt mean the fault of terrorism lies with Israel, but the connection is there.
    What breeds most terrorism is a hatred for the culture of anyone who is not as radical as radical muslim extremists.

Another group I would label as terrorists especially earlier in our history was the Klan. Nobody in their right mind excuses their hatred for anything but hatred of someone who is different.

Would anyone on here justify the Mtn. Meadow Massacre by stating people from Arkansas killed Parley P. Pratt.

Haters hate and some take it to an extreme. I don't understand how some groups get the xxx breeds it excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    What breeds most terrorism is a hatred for the culture of anyone who is not as radical as radical muslim extremists.
    Not mutually exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by byu71 View Post
    Haters hate and some take it to an extreme. I don't understand how some groups get the xxx breeds it excuse.
    it isn't an excuse, it is one part of the cause.

You may have heard that New York officials want to cancel a couple of Roger Waters concerts because he is a "supporter of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which advocates for withdrawing economic support for the nation over its treatment of Palestinian people."

Officials in Nassau County, which sits on the western half of Long Island, passed a law earlier this year that prevents companies and individuals from doing business with the county if they support BDS. (New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed an executive order to similar effect last year.) Last week, Republican county legislator Howard J. Kopel petitioned the county attorney to determine whether Nassau Events Center, the operators of Nassau Coliseum, would be breaking the law by hosting Waters for a pair of performances at the Coliseum in September.
    So, it is against the law to boycott Israel in New York... no big deal right? Just avoid New York.

U.S. Lawmakers Seek to Criminally Outlaw Support for Boycott Campaign Against Israel

A group of 43 senators — 29 Republicans and 14 Democrats — wants to implement a law that would make it a felony for Americans to support the international boycott against Israel, which was launched in protest of that country’s decades-old occupation of Palestine. The two primary sponsors of the bill are Democrat Ben Cardin of Maryland and Republican Rob Portman of Ohio. Perhaps the most shocking aspect is the punishment: Anyone guilty of violating the prohibitions will face a minimum civil penalty of $250,000 and a maximum criminal penalty of $1 million and 20 years in prison.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    You may have heard that New York officials want to cancel a couple of Roger Waters concerts because he is a "supporter of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which advocates for withdrawing economic support for the nation over its treatment of Palestinian people."

So, it is against the law to boycott Israel in New York... no big deal right? Just avoid New York.

U.S. Lawmakers Seek to Criminally Outlaw Support for Boycott Campaign Against Israel
    or maybe because it's a thinly veiled front built and funded to support a terrorist organization
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Andrew Sullivan...

<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...long-game.html>

One of the features you most associate with creeping authoritarianism is the criminalization of certain political positions. Is anything more anathema to a liberal democracy? If Trump were to suggest it, can you imagine the reaction?

And yet it’s apparently fine with a hefty plurality of the Senate and House. I’m referring to the remarkable bill introduced into the Congress earlier this year — with 237 sponsors and co-sponsors in the House and 43 in the Senate — which the ACLU and the Intercept have just brought to light. It’s a remarkably bipartisan effort, backed by Chuck Schumer and Ted Cruz, among many solid Trump-resisting Democrats and hard-line Republicans. And it would actually impose civil and criminal penalties on American citizens for backing or joining any international boycott of Israel because of its settlement activities. There are even penalties for simply inquiring about such a boycott. And they’re not messing around. The minimum civil penalty would be $250,000 and the maximum criminal penalty $1 million and 20 years in prison. Up to 20 years in prison for opposing the policies of a foreign government and doing something about it! And, yes, the Senate Minority Leader is leading the charge.

Look: I’m not in favor of boycotting Israel when we don’t boycott, say, Saudi Arabia. But seriously: making it illegal? Every now and again, you just have to sit back and admire the extraordinary skills of the Greater Israel lobby. You’ve never heard of this bill, and I hadn’t either. But that is partly the point. AIPAC doesn’t want the attention — writers who notice this attempted assault on a free society will be tarred as anti-Semites (go ahead, it wouldn’t be the first time) and politicians who resist it will see their careers suddenly stalled. I doubt a single sponsor of this bill will go on the record to oppose it (so far, none has). That’s how complete the grip of AIPAC is. And pointing out this special interest’s distortion of democracy is not the equivalent of bigotry. It’s simply a defense of our democratic way of life.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst