Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    In the end, good seems to be coming out of it. The new procedures will help prevent what happened or at least prevent it from happening as often.

Society is slowing awakening to the frequency of the abuse situations. I thought we learned something in the 80s, but apparently that was the tip of the iceberg. Society may go too far and ignore rights of those accused, but ultimately a zero tolerance attitude is shaping up.

The Bishop situation is tragic, and a corporation will use its legal advantages to minimize exposure. The Board of Trustees have a fiduciary duty of loyalty, due care and obedience to ensure the assets of the corporation are preserved and dedicated to its charitable purpose. Many of these people are former lawyers and will think in these terms. It should come as no surprise that corporate Mormonism reacts in a corporate manner. It also allows the Corporation to negotiate from a position of legal strength, even if it is not negotiating from a position of PR strength. Seattle Ute would do what he could to destroy the Defendant, as would Funk.
    Ok, I can see that as a guiding ethic. I'm not as sold as I used to be on the idea of either ends justifying means, or that corporate representatives' (of any kind--Boards to attorneys) highest ethical duty is to the survival and well-being of the corporation. I know neither of those questions are clear cut, but I do fall more on the anti-corporate side than I used to. I think both standards have been used to justify really bad things, historically. It's an interesting ethical question, at the very least.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

In the end, good seems to be coming out of it. The new procedures will help prevent what happened or at least prevent it from happening as often.

Society is slowing awakening to the frequency of the abuse situations. I thought we learned something in the 80s, but apparently that was the tip of the iceberg. Society may go too far and ignore rights of those accused, but ultimately a zero tolerance attitude is shaping up.

The Bishop situation is tragic, and a corporation will use its legal advantages to minimize exposure. The Board of Trustees have a fiduciary duty of loyalty, due care and obedience to ensure the assets of the corporation are preserved and dedicated to its charitable purpose. Many of these people are former lawyers and will think in these terms. It should come as no surprise that corporate Mormonism reacts in a corporate manner. It also allows the Corporation to negotiate from a position of legal strength, even if it is not negotiating from a position of PR strength. Seattle Ute would do what he could to destroy the Defendant, as would Funk.
      This is all true. The reason for criticism though is the church puts out a public persona that it doesn't act like a business and that it is a church. It is business and its financial interests are first and foremost.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        This is all true. The reason for criticism though is the church puts out a public persona that it doesn't act like a business and that it is a church. It is business and its financial interests are first and foremost.
        Not sure you are aware of this, but the church is both a religious institution and a business. So, ya it protects the business side in order to ensure it's faith motivated charitable actions are continually possible.

Comment

Yeah, those fat cats are living it up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            Yeah, those fat cats are living it up!
            I'm woke to those Toyota Avalons
            Last edited by tooblue; 04-11-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

You can not be (and in fact I am quite certain you are not) that naïve. And, as I think you said earlier, this isnt the church putting its financial interests "first and foremost." In fact, I would be disappointed if the church paid every claim made by anyone without rather strict due diligence. If they did, there would be no church.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

This is a very honest post.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  You can not be (and in fact I am quite certain you are not) that naïve. And, as I think you said earlier, this isnt the church putting its financial interests "first and foremost." In fact, I would be disappointed if the church paid every claim made by anyone without rather strict due diligence. If they did, there would be no church.
                  Actually, I think he can be that naive. Pretty solid body of evidence at this point.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Actually, I think he can be that naive. Pretty solid body of evidence at this point.
                    Dear Dude,

Fuck you.

Sincerely,

Marty
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Dear Dude,

Fuck you.

Sincerely,

Marty
                      Funk, you can't be both bombastic/hyperbolic and thin-skinned at the same time. It's against the rules.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Funk, you can't be both bombastic/hyperbolic and thin-skinned at the same time. It's against the rules.
                        Not being thin skinned, a fuck you was warranted there. We can move on now.
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• This thread has killed off Wuap and SIEQ. If it exterminates the Dude/Funkhouser lunch plans, the site may need to be shut down.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

So no lunch now?
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                So no lunch now?
                                Hey, come on. We have moved on!

Comment

Working...
                                X