X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    So no lunch now?
    I'd still grab lunch with the Dude.

The list of people that I won't get lunch with is still just falafel and old_gregg.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

The list of people that I won't get lunch with is still just falafel and old_gregg.
      You know that going to lunch with falafel doesn't necessarily mean that you have to order falafels, right?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        You know that going to lunch with falafel doesn't necessarily mean that you have to order falafels, right?
        Falafel is delicious, I would happily eat one for lunch.
        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• The church vs. business issue that vexes Funk and others probably began around 70 years ago. When I was a kid, I remember my dad talking about how the Church's financial position had recently been very precarious, with insolvency being a latter-day existential threat. People like N. Eldon Tanner (and, if I remember correctly, Thorpe B. Isaacson) were brought in for the primary purpose of getting the Church on a strong financial footing to ensure that the Church's spiritual and charitable objectives could be achieved. Reasonable minds may argue about whether too much attention and resources are allocated to the business side of things, but I appreciate its critical importance.

And although it hasn't been mentioned recently, I'll re-emphasize that the notion that the Brethren's focus on the Church's financial success is motivated, even in part, by personal financial gain is absolutely ludicrous. I continue to marvel at how those serving in the highest ranks do so at considerable financial sacrifice.

Comment

Falafel is delicious, I would happily eat one for lunch.
            Pretty sure he's not 'bout that life.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              The church vs. business issue that vexes Funk and others probably began around 70 years ago. When I was a kid, I remember my dad talking about how the Church's financial position had recently been very precarious, with insolvency being a latter-day existential threat. People like N. Eldon Tanner (and, if I remember correctly, Thorpe B. Isaacson) were brought in for the primary purpose of getting the Church on a strong financial footing to ensure that the Church's spiritual and charitable objectives could be achieved. Reasonable minds may argue about whether too much attention and resources are allocated to the business side of things, but I appreciate its critical importance.

And although it hasn't been mentioned recently, I'll re-emphasize that the notion that the Brethren's focus on the Church's financial success is motivated, even in part, by personal financial gain is absolutely ludicrous. I continue to marvel at how those serving in the highest ranks do so at considerable financial sacrifice.
              This is correct. In the Prince bio on David O. McKay, he said that the church went on a massive building spree (1950's?) and the people in charge weren't following the books very carefully and the church almost went bankrupt. Substantial changes were made in response.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The church vs. business issue that vexes Funk and others probably began around 70 years ago. When I was a kid, I remember my dad talking about how the Church's financial position had recently been very precarious, with insolvency being a latter-day existential threat. People like N. Eldon Tanner (and, if I remember correctly, Thorpe B. Isaacson) were brought in for the primary purpose of getting the Church on a strong financial footing to ensure that the Church's spiritual and charitable objectives could be achieved. Reasonable minds may argue about whether too much attention and resources are allocated to the business side of things, but I appreciate its critical importance.

I don't think the vast majority of the general authorities and apostles focus on the church's financial success is motivated by personal financial gain. I agree most serve at personal sacrifice to themselves.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I know very few of them, but from a limited perspective, it seems they are working at a sacrifice to themselves. And one would not expect them to function in their legal capacities in a naive manner, ignorant of their fiduciary duties as directors and trustees.

Perhaps an analogy. Many people wish countries would behave nicely, but countries unlike individuals behave in a manner to protect their perceived best interests, including fighting wars, spying on people, stealing information, playing shadow politics and all sorts of things deemed necessary for the benefit of a nation. I have argued it is naive to expect nations to behave like people. At a much small level, it is naive to expect corporations to behave like people. These are organisms with unique purposes and self-preservation of the organism is one of the primary functions of the leaders and managers. This may be taken to an extreme at times but to expect anything else is naive.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I would commit unspeakable acts to have lunch with falafel and/or old_gregg.

This thread has potential but it's kind of been a bust so far.
                    The discussions on the nature of God and the problem of evil way back made me shake my head a little, though.
                    I don't think anybody should form a strong opinion on the attributes of God and the existence of evil unless he/she has spent a few years in the desert living with jackals and reading Augustine's Confessions.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post

Enlighten us, brother Solon!

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      The discussions on the nature of God and the problem of evil way back made me shake my head a little, though.
                      I don't think anybody should form a strong opinion on the attributes of God and the existence of evil unless he/she has spent a few years in the desert living with jackals and reading Augustine's Confessions.
                      Yikes. Pass.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Unspeakable. You jackal.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

usually the unspeakable acts come after lunch
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Comment

Sounds like many of our Vegas brethren could qualify.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Sounds like many of our Vegas brethren could qualify.
                                What's wrong with a few jackals? You got some problem with that?!

Comment

Working...
                                X