X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    That's a big difference.
    How so?

I believe she said "you tried to rape me" and that the only reason he wasn't successful was because he couldn't maintain an erection.

Her account in the transcript is not inconsistent with her testimony to the BYU PD.
    Last edited by Green Monstah; 03-22-2018, 03:03 PM.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Call me crazy, but I doubt Bishop was raping people to push them out of the church. Its not an insignificant distinction, at least for me.
      It makes it even worse, IMO. If someone thinks the LDS church is either bullshit as a whole (Dehlin/Runnells) or that it is wrong on a key point (Kelly/Snuffer), the act of encouraging people to their belief is actually an act of trying to help the person or the church. If someone believes in the church and uses a position of Priesthood authority to rape (knowing a possible outcome of the scenario is the victim leaving the church), that person is engaging in a much worse behavior. Not that we are ranking sins here, just saying I'm not sure this is a point in his favor.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        How so?

I believe she said "you tried to rape me" and that the only reason he wasn't successful was because he couldn't maintain an erection.

Her account in the transcript is not inconsistent with her testimony to the BYU PD.
        Typically penetration, to some slight degree, is required to prove the crime of rape. Or at least it used to be when I went to law school in the dark ages.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          Typically penetration, to some slight degree, is required to prove the crime of rape.
          Irrelevant, since the statute of limitations has run.

We're not talking "can he be prosecuted?" or "is he guilty of rape as defined in the statute?", correct?

The fact that she didn't specifically state, "you tried to rape me, but were only successful by two inches before you stopped your assault" in their conversation doesn't mean it didn't happen.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            That's a big difference.
            I am not so sure, the mental damage done by this leader to a very venerable young woman who likely held him in very high regard would have to be severe with or without actual "rape". As a father of two daughters it makes absolutely sick.
            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
            SU

Comment

How so?

Yeah, I think we've been through this. But to me, "you tried to rape me but couldn't because of your erection" is ambiguous to whether he intended to or not. Reality kicks in at the last minute and he decides not to do it...that would look the same to a victim. But anyway, that reported removed all doubt. Sick.

The more I hear on this case, the more I believe the woman, both that he raped her, and that she talked to Asay about it.

Comment

Irrelevant, since the statute of limitations has run.

We're not talking "can he be prosecuted?" or "is he guilty of rape as defined in the statute?", correct?

The fact that she didn't specifically state, "you tried to rape me, but were only successful by two inches before you stopped your assault" in their conversation doesn't mean it didn't happen.
                That is true, although she may not have known the statute had run. And a factual inconsistency might be a basis to evaluate her credibility. But I don't think it makes any difference to ecclesiastical issues.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Joanna Brooks takes a shot on FB:

my church bars me from sacramental communion with children whose parents happen to be gay but not with men who admit to exploitation of the vulnerable.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Joanna Brooks takes a shot on FB:
                    I dislike that she uses this crime to climb on her bully pulpit. It's like "we can put a man on the moon, but we can't . . . ."
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      Joanna Brooks takes a shot on FB:
                      Good grief.

One of the reasons I can't stomach her anymore.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        It makes it even worse, IMO. If someone thinks the LDS church is either bullshit as a whole (Dehlin/Runnells) or that it is wrong on a key point (Kelly/Snuffer), the act of encouraging people to their belief is actually an act of trying to help the person or the church. If someone believes in the church and uses a position of Priesthood authority to rape (knowing a possible outcome of the scenario is the victim leaving the church), that person is engaging in a much worse behavior. Not that we are ranking sins here, just saying I'm not sure this is a point in his favor.
                        Your first point really depends on your perspective regarding the church, so I'm not ready to laud as heroes people like Dehlin and Snuffer. They think they are helping, others think they are causing damage.

I doubt Bishop was thinking of anything beyond his own sexual gratification when he was grooming women and/or raping them, so I'm reluctant to assign to his actions all the potential negative consequences of those actions.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Good grief.

One of the reasons I can't stomach her anymore.
                          SWISH! I was the one here who first called her an opportunist. When she was being interviewed by all the news outlets about Presidential candidate Mitt’s sect, and what they wanted to hear was progmo stuff, she gave it, and you all ate it up. You said I was jealous.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

(and I'm talking real-life friends, not internet people).
                            Why the differentiation? I realize it’s a small point and completely off topic, but would it affect your struggles with these situations happening inside the church if only your internet friends experienced it? No snark intended in this, it just made me feel sad. Lol
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              That is true, although she may not have known the statute had run. And a factual inconsistency might be a basis to evaluate her credibility. But I don't think it makes any difference to ecclesiastical issues.
                              She mentions in the transcript that she had counsel, and then later that "the statute of limitations has not run" on his crimes. Which leads me to believe she was getting legal advice on that topic.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                                SWISH! I was the one here who first called her an opportunist. When she was being interviewed by all the news outlets about Presidential candidate Mitt’s sect, and what they wanted to hear was progmo stuff, she gave it, and you all ate it up. You said I was jealous.
                                Ok. That swish is allowed.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X