Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I doubt it will bring her peace, but it might bring some kind of closure. Hopefully it changes how these things are handled in the future.

I can't help but wonder if there is more to the story. Why was this guy not exed? In every case I have seen, the church has shown zero tolerance on this type of thing.
    Yeah, that doesn't make sense. There is surely more to this story.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      Rape is not the addiction, just like stealing is not the addiction for a coke addict. But rape can be one of the methods a person uses to satisfy the addiction.

I'm not sure why everyone is so eager to discount the possibility that this guy was an addict. Having an addiction does not excuse the behavior in the slightest (although I recognize Bishop was trying to use it to deflect and minimize his crimes and actions). But it can help to explain the motivation for the actions.

He thinks it does, and there's the rub.

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      amen. if he's a man, he's an addict. claiming sexual addiction is an excuse for dudes who can't control themselves.
      Hang on now, if you can't control yourself, that's kind of part of the textbook definition of addiction. He could control himself, is my contention.

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Does anybody really believe that seeking revenge on this predator will bring the interviewer peace of mind? I get it. She's been victimized on at least three occasions by men in her life. I understand the anger and striking out at all "priesthood holders." I just don't believe going down that road, holding onto the anger, seeking and exercising revenge after all these years will bring her peace.
      Stop framing it as being about revenge. He tried to rape her. There are consequences. Those consequences are not revenge. They are the operation of law and order and the social construction of reality. You don't call it revenge if you call the police and the person gets charged. You also don't have to reveal yourself to the public if you are raped. His "good name" like that of the Church he represented, is now sullied BY HIS ACTIONS, NOT HERS.

If a wealthy businessperson raped my daughter, I would go to the police. I'd also want to kill him/her.
      She did go to the authorities, general and civil. She also threatened to kill him. Did you read the transcript?
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Popped over to youtube to see MormonStories interview with the founder of MormonLeaks to see if he would talk about where the recording came from. I'm half-way through part 1 of the interview, and so far Dehlin has spoken 98% of the words (even in questions asked to the guest), compared his own ex-communication for simply "asking questions and hosting a podcast" to Bishop's lack of ex-communication for serial rape, and mischaracterized a bill introduced in the Utah legislature to make Utah a 2-party consent state as "the LDS church trying to make it illegal to record their leadership".
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          to be fair he also probably engaged in some form of deceit when he attempted to raped her
          fify

This was a horrible person. It appears he was unfaithful to his wife and his religious commitments on several occaisions, and took advantage of his position of power to prey on the weak. And he obviously led a sad, sad life as a result and the consequences of his selfishness had significantly horrible affects on others, especially the interviewer. That is the saddest part of this tragedy.

I do take issue with her dishonesty to lead him along to get to her real business. I don't think that's okay. And I think she should be willing to put her name on her work. I understand why she might not want to, but I feel she doesn't help her cause by remaining anonomous.

Does anybody really believe that seeking revenge on this predator will bring the interviewer peace of mind? I get it. She's been victimized on at least three occasions by men in her life. I understand the anger and striking out at all "priesthood holders." I just don't believe going down that road, holding onto the anger, seeking and exercising revenge after all these years will bring her peace.
          I don't think we know if she's seeking revenge.

It may be that if he'd been able to admit to her what he'd done, that she would have been done with it. Maybe she was done with it, but the recording made its way into the public sphere anyway. Maybe she released it in hope that others who had been victimized by this guy could get closure. Maybe she released it so that others will be more vigilant of MTC presidents in the future.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            He thinks it does, and there's the rub.
            Dissembling, minimizing and deflecting are classic addict tactics. I'm not trying to excuse his behavior. It is inexcusable.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              Hang on now, if you can't control yourself, that's kind of part of the textbook definition of addiction. He could control himself, is my contention.
              http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1362131
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Popped over to youtube to see MormonStories interview with the founder of MormonLeaks to see if he would talk about where the recording came from. I'm half-way through part 1 of the interview, and so far Dehlin has spoken 98% of the words (even in questions asked to the guest), compared his own ex-communication for simply "asking questions and hosting a podcast" to Bishop's lack of ex-communication for serial rape, and mischaracterized a bill introduced in the Utah legislature to make Utah a 2-party consent state as "the LDS church trying to make it illegal to record their leadership".
                Shame on John Dehlin.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  I don't think we know if she's seeking revenge.

It may be that if he'd been able to admit to her what he'd done, that she would have been done with it. Maybe she was done with it, but the recording made its way into the public sphere anyway. Maybe she released it in hope that others who had been victimized by this guy could get closure. Maybe she released it so that others will be more vigilant of MTC presidents in the future.
                  I think, in part, she is. She wants to see him suffer publicly. She wants his family (and his current wife) to know who he really is. She wants his grandchildren to know what he's done. She can do that, if she wants.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• tl;dr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Statement from the church.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/artic...hop-march-2018

Comment

• This was posted in the youtube comments of the MormonStories podcast.

I was molested by a YM president as a child. After going through the church protocol with bishop and stake president. He then soon after he was called as a 1st Counclor of the bishopric. Years later he messages me admits it. 3 years later I got a hold of a general authority of the 70. He stated me to never tell me anyone what happened that he said “don’t tell me his name” as that brother past sins and future action towards sisters will be head accountable when he stands before God” this brother molested many many young girls in YW and most like still is and the leaders protect the priesthood holders at all cost. The GA told me “this dies with me” and at the end of the phone conversation he said, “I’m glad we talked my time was well spent” he then sent me a copy of his talk called Being 100% responsible. For all the abused women and girls abused. It’s a joke and 100% victim blaming. He said Hinckley would get thousands upon thousands of letters of women being abused and so he made a training video so priesthood leaders stop hurting our dear sisters. I just can’t. Happy I put in my papers and free from this cult.
                        The GA who gave the talk "Be 100 Percent Responsible" is Lynn G. Robbins.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          That's a good response. Also explains a lot.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            Pretty good statement, but simply referring Bishop to his local ecclesiastical leaders in 2010 was not enough. A full investigation should have been done at that time.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This was posted in the youtube comments of the MormonStories podcast.

The GA who gave the talk "Be 100 Percent Responsible" is Lynn G. Robbins.
                              Meh. You can find anything in a comments section.

Comment

• i am wary of the combination of an old person with a failing memory seeking to dole out peace and private conversations published by someone with an agenda (righteous or otherwise).
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X