Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1488

Thread: Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    In the end, good seems to be coming out of it. The new procedures will help prevent what happened or at least prevent it from happening as often.

Society is slowing awakening to the frequency of the abuse situations. I thought we learned something in the 80s, but apparently that was the tip of the iceberg. Society may go too far and ignore rights of those accused, but ultimately a zero tolerance attitude is shaping up.

The Bishop situation is tragic, and a corporation will use its legal advantages to minimize exposure. The Board of Trustees have a fiduciary duty of loyalty, due care and obedience to ensure the assets of the corporation are preserved and dedicated to its charitable purpose. Many of these people are former lawyers and will think in these terms. It should come as no surprise that corporate Mormonism reacts in a corporate manner. It also allows the Corporation to negotiate from a position of legal strength, even if it is not negotiating from a position of PR strength. Seattle Ute would do what he could to destroy the Defendant, as would Funk.
    Ok, I can see that as a guiding ethic. I'm not as sold as I used to be on the idea of either ends justifying means, or that corporate representatives' (of any kind--Boards to attorneys) highest ethical duty is to the survival and well-being of the corporation. I know neither of those questions are clear cut, but I do fall more on the anti-corporate side than I used to. I think both standards have been used to justify really bad things, historically. It's an interesting ethical question, at the very least.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

In the end, good seems to be coming out of it. The new procedures will help prevent what happened or at least prevent it from happening as often.

Society is slowing awakening to the frequency of the abuse situations. I thought we learned something in the 80s, but apparently that was the tip of the iceberg. Society may go too far and ignore rights of those accused, but ultimately a zero tolerance attitude is shaping up.

The Bishop situation is tragic, and a corporation will use its legal advantages to minimize exposure. The Board of Trustees have a fiduciary duty of loyalty, due care and obedience to ensure the assets of the corporation are preserved and dedicated to its charitable purpose. Many of these people are former lawyers and will think in these terms. It should come as no surprise that corporate Mormonism reacts in a corporate manner. It also allows the Corporation to negotiate from a position of legal strength, even if it is not negotiating from a position of PR strength. Seattle Ute would do what he could to destroy the Defendant, as would Funk.
    This is all true. The reason for criticism though is the church puts out a public persona that it doesn't act like a business and that it is a church. It is business and its financial interests are first and foremost.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    This is all true. The reason for criticism though is the church puts out a public persona that it doesn't act like a business and that it is a church. It is business and its financial interests are first and foremost.
    Not sure you are aware of this, but the church is both a religious institution and a business. So, ya it protects the business side in order to ensure it's faith motivated charitable actions are continually possible.

Yeah, those fat cats are living it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Yeah, those fat cats are living it up!
    I'm woke to those Toyota Avalons
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-11-2018 at 12:04 PM.

You can not be (and in fact I am quite certain you are not) that na´ve. And, as I think you said earlier, this isnt the church putting its financial interests "first and foremost." In fact, I would be disappointed if the church paid every claim made by anyone without rather strict due diligence. If they did, there would be no church.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

This is a very honest post.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    You can not be (and in fact I am quite certain you are not) that na´ve. And, as I think you said earlier, this isnt the church putting its financial interests "first and foremost." In fact, I would be disappointed if the church paid every claim made by anyone without rather strict due diligence. If they did, there would be no church.
    Actually, I think he can be that naive. Pretty solid body of evidence at this point.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Actually, I think he can be that naive. Pretty solid body of evidence at this point.
    Dear Dude,

Fuck you.

Sincerely,

Marty
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.

Dear Dude,

Fuck you.

Sincerely,

Marty
    Funk, you can't be both bombastic/hyperbolic and thin-skinned at the same time. It's against the rules.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Funk, you can't be both bombastic/hyperbolic and thin-skinned at the same time. It's against the rules.
    Not being thin skinned, a fuck you was warranted there. We can move on now.
    --SeattleUte

This thread has killed off Wuap and SIEQ. If it exterminates the Dude/Funkhouser lunch plans, the site may need to be shut down.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

So no lunch now?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    So no lunch now?
    Hey, come on. We have moved on!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    So no lunch now?
    I'd still grab lunch with the Dude.

The list of people that I won't get lunch with is still just falafel and old_gregg.
    --SeattleUte

The list of people that I won't get lunch with is still just falafel and old_gregg.
    You know that going to lunch with falafel doesn't necessarily mean that you have to order falafels, right?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    You know that going to lunch with falafel doesn't necessarily mean that you have to order falafels, right?
    Falafel is delicious, I would happily eat one for lunch.
    --SeattleUte

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

The church vs. business issue that vexes Funk and others probably began around 70 years ago. When I was a kid, I remember my dad talking about how the Church's financial position had recently been very precarious, with insolvency being a latter-day existential threat. People like N. Eldon Tanner (and, if I remember correctly, Thorpe B. Isaacson) were brought in for the primary purpose of getting the Church on a strong financial footing to ensure that the Church's spiritual and charitable objectives could be achieved. Reasonable minds may argue about whether too much attention and resources are allocated to the business side of things, but I appreciate its critical importance.

And although it hasn't been mentioned recently, I'll re-emphasize that the notion that the Brethren's focus on the Church's financial success is motivated, even in part, by personal financial gain is absolutely ludicrous. I continue to marvel at how those serving in the highest ranks do so at considerable financial sacrifice.

Falafel is delicious, I would happily eat one for lunch.
    Pretty sure he's not 'bout that life.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    The church vs. business issue that vexes Funk and others probably began around 70 years ago. When I was a kid, I remember my dad talking about how the Church's financial position had recently been very precarious, with insolvency being a latter-day existential threat. People like N. Eldon Tanner (and, if I remember correctly, Thorpe B. Isaacson) were brought in for the primary purpose of getting the Church on a strong financial footing to ensure that the Church's spiritual and charitable objectives could be achieved. Reasonable minds may argue about whether too much attention and resources are allocated to the business side of things, but I appreciate its critical importance.

And although it hasn't been mentioned recently, I'll re-emphasize that the notion that the Brethren's focus on the Church's financial success is motivated, even in part, by personal financial gain is absolutely ludicrous. I continue to marvel at how those serving in the highest ranks do so at considerable financial sacrifice.
    This is correct. In the Prince bio on David O. McKay, he said that the church went on a massive building spree (1950's?) and the people in charge weren't following the books very carefully and the church almost went bankrupt. Substantial changes were made in response.

I don't think the vast majority of the general authorities and apostles focus on the church's financial success is motivated by personal financial gain. I agree most serve at personal sacrifice to themselves.
    --SeattleUte

Pre-Historic Man

I know very few of them, but from a limited perspective, it seems they are working at a sacrifice to themselves. And one would not expect them to function in their legal capacities in a naive manner, ignorant of their fiduciary duties as directors and trustees.

Perhaps an analogy. Many people wish countries would behave nicely, but countries unlike individuals behave in a manner to protect their perceived best interests, including fighting wars, spying on people, stealing information, playing shadow politics and all sorts of things deemed necessary for the benefit of a nation. I have argued it is naive to expect nations to behave like people. At a much small level, it is naive to expect corporations to behave like people. These are organisms with unique purposes and self-preservation of the organism is one of the primary functions of the leaders and managers. This may be taken to an extreme at times but to expect anything else is naive.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

I would commit unspeakable acts to have lunch with falafel and/or old_gregg.

This thread has potential but it's kind of been a bust so far.
    The discussions on the nature of God and the problem of evil way back made me shake my head a little, though.
    I don't think anybody should form a strong opinion on the attributes of God and the existence of evil unless he/she has spent a few years in the desert living with jackals and reading Augustine's Confessions.
    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

Enlighten us, brother Solon!

The discussions on the nature of God and the problem of evil way back made me shake my head a little, though.
    I don't think anybody should form a strong opinion on the attributes of God and the existence of evil unless he/she has spent a few years in the desert living with jackals and reading Augustine's Confessions.
    Yikes. Pass.

Pre-Historic Man

Unspeakable. You jackal.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

usually the unspeakable acts come after lunch
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Sounds like many of our Vegas brethren could qualify.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Sounds like many of our Vegas brethren could qualify.
    What's wrong with a few jackals? You got some problem with that?!