No announcement yet.

Comrade Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure this all a nothingburger after all.

Trump Ordered Mueller Fired, but Backed Off When White House Counsel Threatened to Quit

President Trump ordered the firing last June of Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation, according to four people told of the matter, but ultimately backed down after the White House counsel threatened to resign rather than carry out the directive.

The West Wing confrontation marks the first time Mr. Trump is known to have tried to fire the special counsel. Mr. Mueller learned about the episode in recent months as his investigators interviewed current and former senior White House officials in his inquiry into whether the president obstructed justice.

Amid the first wave of news media reports that Mr. Mueller was examining a possible obstruction case, the president began to argue that Mr. Mueller had three conflicts of interest that disqualified him from overseeing the investigation, two of the people said.

First, he claimed that a dispute years ago over fees at Trump National Golf Club in Sterling, Va., had prompted Mr. Mueller, the F.B.I. director at the time, to resign his membership. The president also said Mr. Mueller could not be impartial because he had most recently worked for the law firm that previously represented the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner. Finally, the president said, Mr. Mueller had been interviewed to return as the F.B.I. director the day before he was appointed special counsel in May.

After receiving the president’s order to fire Mr. Mueller, the White House counsel, Donald F. McGahn II, refused to ask the Justice Department to dismiss the special counsel, saying he would quit instead, the people said. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they did not want to be identified discussing a continuing investigation.

Mr. McGahn disagreed with the president’s case and told senior White House officials that firing Mr. Mueller would have a catastrophic effect on Mr. Trump’s presidency. Mr. McGahn also told White House officials that Mr. Trump would not follow through on the dismissal on his own. The president then backed off.

“We decline to comment out of respect for the Office of the Special Counsel and its process,” Ty Cobb, the president’s lawyer who manages the White House’s relationship with Mr. Mueller’s office, said in a statement.

Mr. McGahn, a longtime Republican campaign finance lawyer in Washington who served on the Federal Election Commission, was the top lawyer on Mr. Trump’s campaign. He has been involved in nearly every key decision Mr. Trump has made — like the firing of the former F.B.I. director — that is being scrutinized by Mr. Mueller.

Around the time Mr. Trump wanted to fire Mr. Mueller, the president’s legal team, led then by his longtime personal lawyer in New York, Marc E. Kasowitz, was taking an adversarial approach to the Russia investigation. The president’s lawyers were digging into potential conflict-of-interest issues for Mr. Mueller and his team, according to current and former White House officials, and news media reports revealed that several of Mr. Mueller’s prosecutors had donated to Democrats.

Mr. Mueller could not legally have considered political affiliations when making hiring decisions. But for Mr. Trump’s supporters, it reinforced the idea that, although Mr. Mueller is a Republican, he had assembled a team of Democrats to take down the president.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/u...imes&smtyp=cur

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
      I'm sure this all a nothingburger after all.

Trump Ordered Mueller Fired, but Backed Off When White House Counsel Threatened to Quit

Yeah, we have spent a crapload of money (some $6.7 million in just the first five months) supporting Mueller's fishing trip for Russian bots... he needs to show some results, man! Oh wait, I think they found something!!!

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I'm sure this all a nothingburger after all.

What do you think this proves? That Trump hates Mueller and tried to fire him? Yes. Clearly. That this movers beyond speculation about Russian collusion? Well, not really. Or not at all.
        But I guess it is something.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
          What do you think this proves? That Trump hates Mueller and tried to fire him? Yes. Clearly. That this movers beyond speculation about Russian collusion? Well, not really. Or not at all.
          But I guess it is something.
          This was June, just a month into Mueller being on the job. No one hated him back then. In public even Trump was saying positive things about him at the time. Acting guilty doesn't prove guilt of something, but no one can really dispute that at best Trump consistently acts in a paranoid way. Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            This was June, just a month into Mueller being on the job. No one hated him back then. In public even Trump was saying positive things about him at the time. Acting guilty doesn't prove guilt of something, but no one can really dispute that at best Trump consistently acts in a paranoid way. Why?
            It's sure a bigger deal Bill Clinton visiting Lynch on her airplane.

Comment

This is not really true. There were a lot of rumors in the summer that Trump was about to fire Mueller. For example:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-fires-mueller

Trump is always hyper about loyalty. Does that mean he is guilty? Maybe. Maybe not.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

It's sure a bigger deal Bill Clinton visiting Lynch on her airplane.
                Sort of amusing that you are playing the “what about Clinton card” here. And you know, I am not sure this is worse. In this instance we know what trump planned, apparently, and through the deliberative process among his cabinet and staff he changed his mind or was restrained. I truly don’t see how that puts any lipstick on the pig of an idea of a surreptitious LYnch meeting with bill Clinton
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

This is not really true. There were a lot of rumors in the summer that Trump was about to fire Mueller. For example:

Trump is always hyper about loyalty. Does that mean he is guilty? Maybe. Maybe not.
                  The part about no one else hating Mueller at the time (June) is true. The change among some Republicans came a few months later after Fox got nervous and started beating that drum.
                  Last edited by BlueK; 01-26-2018, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Evidence of collision!...

No, not between the Russians and Drumpf but between the FBI/DoJ and a WaPo/WSJ reporter:

Anti-Trump FBI Official Identified As Leaker To WSJ, WaPo Reporter

Newly released text messages between controversial anti-Trump FBI agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page reveal several leaks of confidential information to Wall St. Journal reporter, Devlin Barrett, who is now with the Washington Post.

Following the release of the timestamped texts by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, Conservative Treehouse compared the timing of the messages between the agents and tied them to several instances of Barrett breaking news or confirming rumors based on "sources" within the government.

On October 28th, 2016 (as above), at the exact time the re-opening of the Clinton investigation hit the media news-cycle, Page and Strzok were texting. From the released messaging we see at 5:19pm Lisa Page is on the phone with “Devlin”:

Page: 5:19pm “Still on the phone with Devlin. Mike’s phone is ON FIRE.”

Strzok: 5:29pm “You might wanna tell Devlin he should turn on CNN, there’s news on.”

Page: 5:30pm “He knows. He just got handed a note.”

Strzok: 5:33pm “Ha. He asking about it now?”

Page: 5:34pm “Yeah. It was pretty funny. Coming now.”

At 5:36pm Devlin Barrett tweets:

Sources, as in Lisa Page - who Barrett was just (or still) on the phone with.
                    [...]
                    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...-wapo-reporter

But like a good reporter Barrett defends his sources:

The Conservative Treehouse then notes that Barrett left the Wall Street Journal and joined the Washington Post, where he wrote a cover story to explain away a bizarre text between Strzok and Page referencing then-candidate Hillary Clinton:
                    "So look, you say we text on that phone when we talk about Hillary because it can't be traced" "You were just venting, [because] you feel bad that you’re gone so much but that can’t be helped right now."
                    In his WaPo piece, Barrett posits that the text was in reference to the extramarital affair the FBI agents were having with each other:

The WaPo article starts off:
                    We now have what appears to be evidence of an FBI official leaking information to a WSJ / WaPo reporter, who subsequently tweeted and wrote articles defending Page and Strzok, while throwing FBI deputy director Andy McCabe under the bus.
                    [...]
                    And thanks to the crack FBI forensic team we now have tens of 1000s more text messages to read between these obviously "political neutral" and very ethical love birds.

My hope is all this money the good people of this country spent on this investigation doesn't go completely to waste... and that it takes down at least of one of the major parties to give rise to the libertarians.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      My hope is all this money the good people of this country spent on this investigation doesn't go completely to waste... and that it takes down at least of one of the major parties to give rise to the libertarians.
                      Yeah, it will probably take down the current version of the Republican party

Comment

Yeah, it will probably take down the current version of the Republican party
                        Maybe we will get lucky and it will take them both (the dem party and GOP) out... I can't really tell the difference between the two.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Maybe we will get lucky and it will take them both (the dem party and GOP) out... I can't really tell the difference between the two.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Not sure I understand what you mean about loyalty in regards to Mueller. That line of thinking makes more sense if the story came out that he wanted to fire Rosenstein after he first wrote a memo in support of the Comey firing but then turned around and followed the law that allowed him to hire special counsel Mueller to take over the Russia investigation. I can see loyalty being a thing with him. But Mueller wasn't a Trump hire.

Comment

Sort of amusing that you are playing the “what about Clinton card” here. And you know, I am not sure this is worse. In this instance we know what trump planned, apparently, and through the deliberative process among his cabinet and staff he changed his mind or was restrained. I truly don’t see how that puts any lipstick on the pig of an idea of a surreptitious LYnch meeting with bill Clinton
                              The story could be incorrect, but what was reported was that Trump asked WH counsel McGahnn to call up the justice department and tell them to fire Mueller. He refused to comply and Trump did nothing. McGahnn then commented to others on the staff who were unaware of what Trump asked him to do and said he didn't think Trump would actually do anything on his own. That's not really careful deliberative process involving the president if that's how it went down. That sounds more like someone around Trump ignoring him when he gets too impulsive.

Comment

The story could be incorrect, but what was reported was that Trump asked WH counsel McGahnn to call up the justice department and tell them to fire Mueller. He refused to comply and Trump did nothing. McGahnn then commented to others on the staff who were unaware of what Trump asked him to do and said he didn't think Trump would actually do anything on his own. That's not really careful deliberative process involving the president if that's how it went down. That sounds more like someone around Trump ignoring him when he gets too impulsive.
                                Ok, if you wish to see it that way. He was asked to act, he deliberated, and he didnt. And so Mueller wasnt fired, which is sort of the salient point.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X