No announcement yet.

Comrade Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even-handed treatment of Mueller and Barr. A good read.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/thoughts...mueller-report

Barr was under enormous pressure from all sides to say something about Mueller’s report as soon as he received it. He claims he asked Mueller if he wanted to review the March 24 letter, and says that Mueller declined. Barr surely could have worded the March 24 letter more carefully with more time. But I expect that anything he said short of exactly what Mueller wanted him to say would have attracted furious criticism. The decision was clearly Barr’s to make and he had good reasons for what should be disclosed and when, and he explained them publicly.

In this light, and especially in light of subsequent events, I fail to see how Barr warrants the super-harsh personal criticism he has received over the letter. Those subsequent events include (i) publicly clarifying that he, Barr, did not purport to capture or summarize everything in Mueller’s report; (ii) working around the clock to get the relatively lightly redacted report made public—something Barr had no legal duty to do; (iii) testifying twice before Congress to explain his reasoning; and (iv) allowing Mueller to testify before Congress if he wants. These are not the actions of a man trying to mischaracterize the report or hide the ball.

[...]

While I think the criticisms of Barr in connection with the Mueller report have been overheated, I also think Barr made two mistakes. First, he went too far in his May 1 testimony in saying that Trump “fully cooperated” with the special counsel’s investigation. It would have been more accurate to say, as he said in the April 18 press conference, that the White House (meaning the institution independent of the president) “fully cooperated,” and that “the President took no act that in fact deprived the Special Counsel of the documents and witnesses necessary to complete his investigation.” The truth is that the president himself—in his refusal to give a personal interview, and especially in his tweets and actions to harass and threaten and try to impact the Justice Department and special counsel—did not cooperate, much less “fully cooperate.”

Second, I think Barr made a bigger mistake when he self-consciously said—in his April 18 press conference, and his May 1 testimony—that Mueller cleared the president of “collusion” with the Russians. The technical legal term, as Mueller explained, is “conspiracy,” not “collusion.” Yes, as Mueller noted, the term “collusion” was used by the acting attorney general in confirming the investigation’s scope, and also by the press. And yes, the president has been accused by critics of “collusion” for years now. But consistent with his insistence that the Justice Department makes legal and not political or moral conclusions, it would have been much better for Barr to avoid the term “collusion.” If there was a rebuttal to be made to the “collusion” charge, someone other than the attorney general should have made it. Perhaps Barr thought, as he suggested a few times, that the President was so unjustifiably wronged by the entire process that his full-throated “no collusion” statement was warranted. But Barr opened himself up to legitimate criticism when he assiduously avoided commenting on the merits of extra-criminal conduct that would be harmful to the president, but appeared to comment on such conduct when it was helpful to the president. “We are not in the business of exoneration,” Barr testified. But in some places, especially with respect to the Trump campaign and Russia, he seemed to try to do just that.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
      Even-handed treatment of Mueller and Barr. A good read.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/thoughts...mueller-report
      Barr should have just released the entire, unreacted report... damnit, we paid for it so we want to read it!

Of course, it seems the democrats are not interested in reading the report...

Just 2 lawmakers have seen less-redacted Mueller report

On the eve of Attorney General William Barr’s testimony on a redacted version of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report, only two lawmakers have set eyes on secret information that Barr withheld from public view.

Barr offered access to a less-redacted version of the report to just 12 members of Congress — six Democrats and six Republicans. But as of Tuesday afternoon, only Rep. Doug Collins, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, and Sen. Lindsey Graham, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, opted to view it. A third, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he planned to review the report later Tuesday.
      [...]
      https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...dacted-1295105

They are only interested in how Barr was lying in his summary letter and somehow covering for Drumpf...

IMG_1731.jpg

OMG... Can you believe he said this?
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        Sounds like Trump and Putin spoke by phone and discussed the Mueller report. Super fucking normal behavior.
        Do you think Trump will ever get in trouble for leaving Putin's shaft chafed or orange-colored?
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Mitch says that Drumpf opened up a can of whoop-ass on the Russians... Unlike the wuss Obama.

(Does anyone know what Commando is talking about?)
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Mitch says that Drumpf opened up a can of whoop-ass on the Russians... Unlike the wuss Obama.
            "I don't see any reason why he would be involved..."
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Mitch says that Drumpf opened up a can of whoop-ass on the Russians... Unlike the wuss Obama.

(Does anyone know what Commando is talking about?)
              That's why he calls up daddy Vladamir to talk about the Mueller report and call it all a hoax again? Let's not forget when Obama wanted to issue a condemnation of Russia's interference in the election with bipartisan support, McConnell refused. You can't be that dumb Ted.
              Last edited by frank ryan; 05-07-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Clapper seems to have a very hard time finally admitting that the Obama administration was spying on the Drumpf campaign...

Maybe he is worried about something?
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• LOL@Dumb Dems... Barr has to be the worst at covering up for Drumpf.

Top Dems Now Have Access to All But Two Full, Seven Partial Lines of Mueller’s Obstruction Report

As Congressional Democrats prepare to hold attorney general William Barr in contempt over his supposed lack of transparency, it’s worth remembering that he has made available to top Democrats the entirety of volume II of the Mueller report, save for two full and seven partial lines, which were redacted to protect grand jury secrecy in keeping with federal law.

In order to provide lawmakers with greater transparency into special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, the Department of Justice placed a less-redacted version of his report in a secure room on Capitol Hill, and granted access to that room to congressional leaders of both parties, as well as the chairmen and ranking members of intelligence and judiciary committees in the House and Senate.

As of this writing, not one of the six Democrats granted access to what amounts to 99.9 percent of volume II of the Mueller report, which details the president’s behavior as it relates to obstruction of justice, have taken the opportunity to examine it. If they had, they could have viewed the entirety of Mueller’s obstruction case against Trump except for the following seven redactions, two of which are applied to footnotes.
                  [...]
                  Rather than examining the entirety of volume II of the Mueller report, save for the aforementioned lines, Democrats have advanced a vote to hold attorney general William Barr in contempt on the grounds that the two-time attorney general has cynically orchestrated a wholesale coverup.

As assistant attorney general William Boyd argued in a letter sent to House Judiciary Committee chairman Jerry Nadler on Monday, Democrats’ refusal to examine the most transparent version of the report that Barr can legally make available, “naturally raises questions about the sincerity of the committee’s interest in and purported need for the redacted material.”
                  https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...nal-democrats/

I guess it is not really about the report.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Makes tons of sense. Not a questionable or foolish move at all by the Vichy GOP.

Top Republican says Senate unlikely to vote on any election security bills

“At this point I don’t see any likelihood that those bills would get to the floor if we mark them up,” Blunt said.

When Durbin asked why that was the case, Blunt said, “I think the majority leader is of the view that this debate reaches no conclusion. And frankly, I think the extreme nature of H.R. 1 from the House makes it even less likely we are going to have that debate.”

H.R. 1 is a sweeping election reform package that includes language on election security and integrity. The House passed the bill along party lines earlier this year, and Senate Democrats introduced their version of the legislation in March.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has publicly said he won’t allow a vote on the bill.

When asked about Blunt's remarks on Wednesday, McConnell's office pointed to the majority leader's "case closed" comments earlier this week on special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian election interference in 2016.

Durbin said there's a clear need to act on election security legislation.

“At the CIA and intelligence agencies, millions of dollars are being spent to stop the Russians from making a mess of the 2020 election. But in the United States Senate we can’t bring a bill to the floor to even debate it. It doesn’t speak very well of us,” Durbin said.

EAC Chairwoman Christy McCormick drew attention to a staffing shortage at the agency.

“The EAC does not have full time employees devoted to these new components of providing election security support,” McCormick said.

According to McCormick, the EAC’s budget has been cut by 50 percent since 2010, when it had 49 staffers. The agency now has 22 staff members.

“Without additional resources, we simply will not be able to provide the breadth of support election officials need and expect from the EAC to ensure secure, accessible, and efficient elections,” McCormick said.
                    https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...ction-security

Comment

Makes tons of sense. Not a questionable or foolish move at all by the Vichy GOP.

Top Republican says Senate unlikely to vote on any election security bills

https://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...ction-security
                      Does HR 1 include voter ID to keep Russians from voting in our elections? Of course, only 67% of voters think that a photo ID should be required for voting.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Kushner Companies and Russian individuals exchanged suspicious money transfers at the height of the 2016 race, ex-Deutsche Bank employee says

A former Deutsche Bank employee told The New York Times she flagged a series of suspicious money transfers between Kushner Companies and Russian individuals at the height of the 2016 US election.

Tammy McFadden used to work at the bank's anti-money laundering division and was terminated last year. She told The Times she discovered the transfers in the summer of 2016. At the time, Donald Trump was the Republican nominee for president, and the Russian government's effort to interfere in the US election and propel Trump to the Oval Office was well underway....

McFadden's discovery of the transfers between Kushner Companies and Russian individuals raises new questions about Jared Kushner's potential involvement in outreach between members of the Trump campaign and individuals associated with the Russian government during the 2016 election.

Kushner came under scrutiny for his involvement in several episodes that investigators believed may have amounted to a quid pro quo between the campaign and the Russian government.

In one instance, Kushner met in December 2016 with Sergey Gorkov, a Russian banker who is the head of the state-controlled Vnesheconombank (VEB). VEB is under US sanctions, and Gorkov is a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

https://www.businessinsider.com/jare...rce=reddit.com

Comment

• So Mueller did not exonerate Trump. He also did not have the ability to charge Trump for obstruction if he wanted to. Nice job by Barr really spinning all that.

Comment

So Mueller did not exonerate Trump. He also did not have the ability to charge Trump for obstruction if he wanted to. Nice job by Barr really spinning all that.
                            And now working like hell to keep Mueller and any witnesses that had anything to do with the Mueller report from talking to Congress. Like that makes any sense if he was totally exonerated.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              And now working like hell to keep Mueller and any witnesses that had anything to do with the Mueller report from talking to Congress. Like that makes any sense if he was totally exonerated.
                              Barr is a goon and partisan hack. It’s scary more people aren’t alarmed by what Barr is doing. It makes Lynch’s tarmac meeting seem like no biggie.

The GOP want to obstruct and drag out the congressional investigations as long as possible. There were a lot of restrictions Mueller had placed him. His investigation spun off other investigations which are ongoing. For our national security’s sake we need to know more. What happened to the counter-intelligence investigation on Trump?

Barr now has unprecedented access to intelligence gather sources and methods. He can declassify whatever he chooses and I suspect we will see him cherry pick evidence and twist context to feed Trump’s victim hood and keep the deep state paranoid conspiracy alive.

Comment

• The weird thing about the whole Mueller investigation is the length of time it took. Mueller had to have known by the end of last summer that there was no collusion. So he spent the last 10 months of his investigation tying up loose ends and coming to a non-conclusion on a process crime (obstruction). Meanwhile, the speculation on collusion (you know, the real issue) was allowed to influence the mid-terms.

Comment

Working...
                                X