X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Spear-fishing.

Per Wiki:

Real question: Does it really matter how the Russian GRU gained access to this information? Whether it was spear-fishing or "actual hacking"?
    In one sense no, but in another it does, in my mind. Personnel having access to important or sensitive information need to be aware of the possibility of phishing efforts. A large portion of blame falls on the DNC for being such an easy target, it seems to me. Moreover, phishing doesn't seem quite as pernicious to me as breaching security measures on a network. Phishing is like leaving your garage door open at night and being pissed someone stole your tools. Hacking is more like someone cracking your opener codes. Either way they shouldn't steal, but leaving your garage door open is pretty stupid.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      I know many of you are following this very closely, so I wonder if you can tell me if this 'hack' referred to in the indictment is in reference to the phishing of podesta's (and others) passwords and user names? Or is there some actual hacking involved?
      Originally posted by creekster View Post
      In one sense no, but in another it does, in my mind. Personnel having access to important or sensitive information need to be aware of the possibility of phishing efforts. A large portion of blame falls on the DNC for being such an easy target, it seems to me. Moreover, phishing doesn't seem quite as pernicious to me as breaching security measures on a network. Phishing is like leaving your garage door open at night and being pissed someone stole your tools. Hacking is more like someone cracking your opener codes. Either way they shouldn't steal, but leaving your garage door open is pretty stupid.
      As falafel stated, the perpetrators leveraged the information they got from phishing Podesta's password to eventually gain privileged access on a variety of DCCC and DNC computers. Malware installed on these computers logged keystrokes and captured screens. The sniffed data was then packaged up and sent back to a computer in a data center located in Arizona. From there, the data moved to various other servers located elsewhere in the US and outside the US. All of this allegedly, of course.

Would love to see this go to trial just to see if we could get a peek behind the curtain. The NSA is for real (unlimited budget, extraordinary talent). Ask Uncle Ted.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        As falafel stated, the perpetrators leveraged the information they got from phishing Podesta's password to eventually gain privileged access on a variety of DCCC and DNC computers. Malware installed on these computers logged keystrokes and captured screens. The sniffed data was then packaged up and sent back to a computer in a data center located in Arizona. From there, the data moved to various other servers located elsewhere in the US and outside the US. All of this allegedly, of course.

Would love to see this go to trial just to see if we could get a peek behind the curtain. The NSA is for real (unlimited budget, extraordinary talent). Ask Uncle Ted.
        Are you implying it was the NSA? ANd it makes no difference if it is phishing or hacking?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Are you implying it was the NSA?
          Sorry, no, was implying that the NSA probably did all the cyber-sleuthing.

Now think about, 1) the masssive amounts of data, and 2) the tools that would be required to analyze that data, which would be required to unravel the pretzel presented in the indictments. It is a monumental feat.

You can either have tremendous pride in the NSA or tremendous fear of the NSA. You pick I guess.

Originally posted by creekster
          ANd it makes no difference if it is phishing or hacking?
          I guess to use your analogy...

Podesta left his garage door open. Someone came in and stole his tools (e-mail), then used those tools (e-mail) to take the cover off of the cold air furnace return and shimmied down the duct work to enter the house (DCCC and DNC computer network) to circumvent having to use the door and a key.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Where's the link or forward? Judge Bybee is a very decent person, even though he was derided in the press for that memo.
            Click on the word "foreword" in my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Click on the word "foreword" in my post.
              Thanks. My eyes didn't pick up the color differentiation. Interesting that Jay Bybee was advocating immunity during the Clinton years.
              Last edited by Topper; 07-13-2018, 05:34 PM.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Spear-fishing.

Per Wiki:

Real question: Does it really matter how the Russian GRU gained access to this information? Whether it was spear-fishing or "actual hacking"?
                It's an odd distinction to make. Somehow the crime is less serious or insidious because it was easy. Let's not forget Russians hacked into different states' election voter registration etc. Who knows what they'll do in the midterms.

Comment

• This would be chilling:

Conservatives moving to impeach Rosenstein soon: report

Conservative lawmakers in the House are preparing to impeach Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, Politico reported Friday.

Sources told the publication that conservatives have been preparing to have Rosenstein impeached for weeks over allegations that he’s held up their investigation into FBI agents who some lawmakers say are biased against President Trump.

House Freedom Caucus leaders Reps. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) and Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) are leading the effort, and the impeachment document could be filed as soon as Monday, according to Politico.

Ben Williamson, a spokesman for Meadows, declined to rule out if it would be filed next week, Politico reported.

The news comes the same day that Rosenstein announced charges against 12 Russian intelligence officials for allegedly hacking the Democratic National Committee.

Rosenstein has long been a target for Republicans who are frustrated over special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into election meddling by Russia and possible collusion between Moscow and the Trump campaign. He is overseeing the probe after Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from the Russia investigation, and some argue that he's the only person with the legal authority to fire Mueller.

The deputy attorney general testified before the House Judiciary Committee in a tense hearing last month, with Republicans grilling him over the Mueller probe.

Speculation that Trump could fire Rosenstein increased in April after the FBI raided the home and office of Trump’s former personal lawyer Michael Cohen.

Trump later responded to news reports that he may fire Mueller or Rosenstein by noting that “they’re still here.”
                  http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...mpression=true

Comment

Yeah, the NSA has a kick ass command center...

https://www.theverge.com/2013/9/15/4...hip-enterprise
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Podesta left his garage door open. Someone came in and stole his tools (e-mail), then used those tools (e-mail) to take the cover off of the cold air furnace return and shimmied down the duct work to enter the house (DCCC and DNC computer network) to circumvent having to use the door and a key.
                      No he didn't... Podesta had a "P@ssw0rd" on his account!
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I know many of you are following this very closely, so I wonder if you can tell me if this 'hack' referred to in the indictment is in reference to the phishing of podesta's (and others) passwords and user names? Or is there some actual hacking involved?
                        I am sure the FBI had a good look at the DNC/Dem's servers and found evidence of the greatest hack of all time... and they found the hackers left their calling card. Oh wait, the FBI wasn't given direct access to the server. But they were told by a highly respected private security company that it was the Russians. That should hold up in court.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                          Mueller: Congressional candidate sought stolen emails from Russian spies in 2016

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ies/783317002/
                          Drumpf ran for congress?
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Drumpf ran for congress?
                            That's an interesting little detail that should not be overlooked: it's a shot across the bow of all representatives who are questioning the investigation.

Comment

Spear-fishing.

Per Wiki:

No, ask Hillary's crack IT guy... the email from google to change the password was a "legitimate email"! Do you think the dems would hire a bunch of dummies to run their email servers?
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                                That's an interesting little detail that should not be overlooked: it's a shot across the bow of all representatives who are questioning the investigation.
                                LOL... impeach Rosenstein!
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X