Comrade Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    UT, I know you’re a smart guy, but I’m always unclear on the purpose of responses like these which seem like the product of a political neophyte’s newfound cynicism. I am aware (as is presumably everyone else here) that U.S. intelligence agencies make mistakes and have engaged in wrongdoing from time to time. But are you arguing that we should dismiss their findings (which in this instance are unanimous) in favor of Putin’s assurance that the Russians have done nothing wrong?
    Actually I would like to see their findings and love to see the proof. Feel free to provide a link with their report than contains more than pure speculation. The BS speculation we got on Hussein's WMDs from the CIA got us into a very costly war. For the most part I have found that the U.S. "intelligence" agencies are just full of sh*t. The whole "we, the NSA, don't spy on our American citizens" is a prefect example. Lawyers can argue that Clapper didn't lie to anyone but only misled. Fine then. Clapper has a record of misleading the American people and, therefore, anything he has said should be taken with a good amount of salt.

Clapper, IMHO, has done this nation a huge disservice. For example, companies like Google and Apple don't trust the US government any more than they don't trust the Chinese government now when it comes to having their customer's privacy in their best interest. As a result Apple has built (and continues to build) security into their products even down to the hardware level that protects the owner's privacy:

Apple’s hardline stance on protecting users’ privacy has been a source of conflict with governments, most notably in the case of the San Bernardino mass shooting, when Apple refused to hack the gunman’s iPhone at the behest of the FBI. Ultimately the FBI paid a third party to unlock the phone without Apple’s help, showing that the company’s encryption can be bypassed, albeit on an iPhone 5c, which did not have the new Secure Enclave.
    https://www.ft.com/content/6f956fb6-...c-c8d8fa6961bb

Apple has made it so only the owner only has the keys to unlock their device. They can't help the government even if the law is written that they must hand over the keys. They don't have the keys to hand over. Those are kept in the "Secure Enclave" (hardware) on the device. Best of luck government in trying to extracting them out of the hardware (unlike the 5c which kept them in software). The government will soon realize they have lost control of listening to everyone's conversations and 3rd party help has dried up.

 to its customers:  to the government: :moon:

If a terrorists use apple devices to plan their next attack well then that is too bad. Apple isn't going to help weaken the security on their devices for the U.S. government without a good fight especially when the major of their customers don't even live in the United States. And it seems Apple has plenty of "dry powder" stored outside of the US for the fight.

I think the government may have enough to worry about in the near future just trying to control decentralized cryptocurrencies (e.g., Bitcoin). China is already trying to control it:

Chinese regulators called ICOs unauthorized illegal fundraising activity and recent reports indicated they have clamped down on local bitcoin exchanges. Bitcoin is the most commonly used cryptocurrency.

"The only way you can really stop bitcoin in China completely is if you shut down the internet. So the regulators are really focused on the points where bitcoin hits fiat currency," Zennon Kapron, founder and director at consultancy firm Kapronasia, told CNBC's "Squawk Box" on Wednesday.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/12/regu...urrencies.html

In the future, we may live in a world with a greatly weaken central bank. And that national debt may get real if the government can't simply print and increase the supply of money.

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    You evangelize for the Libertarianism, but these posts hurt your cause by mirroring the shallow equivocation that caused your party’s standard bearer to wonder, 70 years after the fact, whether U.S. intervention in World War II was morally appropriate. No thanks.
    The US was clearly attacked in WWII and most libertarians will tell you that the government should provide a national defense. Johnson is not the Libertarian party's standard bearer by any means. Especially now given the sun of his day has clearly set.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      yes, you dope. what does not follow about that?
      You, of all people, should appreciate a good troll. That one appreciates a troll doesn't necessarily mean you agree with the troll or would adopt the troll's position. And, btw, you love to call me and others various names. Does it make you feel smart or clever? From my POV it makes you look like an immature dumb ass. But that's just me.

what is this sedition act nonsense? somebody should tell mueller that all this investigation is counterproductive and to knock it off
      Mueller's investigation? What are you talking about? My comment, that you quoted, refers to COMPLAINING about Trump over and over. If all Mueller is doing is sitting around complaining, then yes, it is counterproductive or puerile. If all he is doing is engaging in rank speculation like so many of the links posted in this thread, then, yes, it is counterproductive and puerile. But that is not what he is doing I presume. Sedition act? Roll your eyes indeed.

his being in office is a specific wrong if the allegations are true. what do you not comprehend about this, counselor? if we live in a world where the electorate is fine with candidates cooperating with hostile foreign powers to hack opponents and use coordinated efforts to prevent the opponents' election efforts, maybe this isn't worth discussing at all.
      If all the allegations are true? Which ones? are you talking about the ads that even the democrats agree didn't swing the election? I have yet to see any evidence that his victory in fact resulted from Russian actions or from cooperation with the Russians. If it did, then obviously it is a huge problem. But these dramatic conclusions you and others are presenting are not well-supported by evidence in the public domain of which I am aware. And you are far too smart to hang your hat on something like "All of the allegations" given the scope of allegations made against every president. After all, if "all the allegations" are true about Obama he wasn't even a citizen, and his being in office was a specific wrong. Ludicrous, of course, but even now people make that allegation. Not all allegations are equal. Bro.

discussing his steps in getting there are puerile and counterproductive, right?
      Did I say that? Nope. But running around in a frenzy with your hands in the air because, if all the allegations are true his very existence should be denied is not a very useful position either. Got some facts to discuss? Then do so. Do you have some supported allegations? Great. Otherwise the posts seem puerile, like calling someone a dope just because you can.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        You guys are funny. Of course there is a trump crowd here. Some are out and some are still pretending to be in the closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I guess 'Trump crowd' needs further definition:

Trump Crowd:
        1) A group of people who voted for Trump, agree with most of his agenda, and defends the majority of his policies and leadership style
        2) All people who voted for Trump
        3) People who may or may not have voted for him, who are not certain he is guilty of all things he is accused of, and who do not believe that everything he does is harmful for the country

If we're going by definition #1, then I don't see a Trump crowd in any of the several Trump threads. After a quick search, I can find only three posters who post with any regularity that voted for him, and all three have indicated that he wasn't their preferred candidate, but better than Hillary in one or more areas of importance to them. There may be others who voted for him and are the closeted voters of which you speak, so perhaps you are using definition #2. If you are using definition #3, then yes, there's a Trump crowd here.

Now back to my response to frank ryan, if there is a Trump Crowd here, it is certainly not a group that is "completely oblivious to how usually deferential Trump is to Russia and Putin." Failing to post the latest possible dirt, or a concurrence with everything Trump haters say (btw, Trump haters and Trump crowd #3 are not mutually exclusive) doesn't ignore or otherwise implicitly condone everything Trump does.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• Hoo boy.

Looks like it's about time again to hear the sage advice of Jon Stewart. This time, the clown face was definitely off. Here you go, Frank, especially starting at the ~3:50 mark:

This thread stands as a testament to the fervor of my Trump hate. I display it proudly. But you cannot transfer all the stupidity and lack of morality that Trump displays in spades to all his voters. Some of them fly that flag proudly, sure. But you cannot paint all of Trump voters that broadly. The majority of them did not pull the lever declaring, "I'm a racist and I'm proud to vote for one!" If your mission is to prove the worst in Trump to others (and I lend a very sympathetic ear to many of those arguments), you will not win any converts by beginning the conversation with "history will not be kind to you Trump voters".
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            I guess 'Trump crowd' needs further definition:

Trump Crowd:
            1) A group of people who voted for Trump, agree with most of his agenda, and defends the majority of his policies and leadership style
            2) All people who voted for Trump
            3) People who may or may not have voted for him, who are not certain he is guilty of all things he is accused of, and who do not believe that everything he does is harmful for the country

If we're going by definition #1, then I don't see a Trump crowd in any of the several Trump threads. After a quick search, I can find only three posters who post with any regularity that voted for him, and all three have indicated that he wasn't their preferred candidate, but better than Hillary in one or more areas of importance to them. There may be others who voted for him and are the closeted voters of which you speak, so perhaps you are using definition #2. If you are using definition #3, then yes, there's a Trump crowd here.

Now back to my response to frank ryan, if there is a Trump Crowd here, it is certainly not a group that is "completely oblivious to how usually deferential Trump is to Russia and Putin." Failing to post the latest possible dirt, or a concurrence with everything Trump haters say (btw, Trump haters and Trump crowd #3 are not mutually exclusive) doesn't ignore or otherwise implicitly condone everything Trump does.
            It can mean whatever you want it to mean. This is just an obscure sports message board.

You guys take frank's posts way too seriously.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

You guys take frank's posts way too seriously.
              We are just worried about Frank; he is morphing into the bizzaro IlPad (or Hallelujah). None of us want that.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Comrade Trump

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                We are just worried about Frank; he is morphing into the bizzaro IlPad (or Hallelujah). None of us want that.
                I miss ilpad! He was a blast.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    That about sums it up.

Comment

Me too. Once in a while I get a little dose on FB but it's just not the same

Comment

• Trump suggested softening the US stance toward Russia and easing sanctions

President Donald Trump suggested in Vietnam on Sunday that US sanctions against Russia are too tough and that he prefers being on more amicable terms with the Kremlin.

"What I believe is that we have to get to work," Trump said. "And I think everybody understood this that heard the answer. We have to get to work to solve Syria, to solve North Korea, to solve Ukraine, to solve terrorism," he added.

"And you know, people don't realize Russia has been very, very heavily sanctioned," he said. "They were sanctioned at a very high level, and that took place very recently. It's now time to get back to healing a world that is shattered and broken."

He was referring to a new sanctions bill he signed in early August, which targeted Russia, Iran, and North Korea. He said in a statement at the time that he supported "making clear that America will not tolerate interference in our democratic process, and that we will side with our allies and friends against Russian subversion and destabilization."

However, he added that the measure was "seriously flawed" and that it "improperly encroaches on executive power, disadvantages American companies, and hurts the interests of our European allies."

Trump's comments on Sunday came on the heels of remarks he made on Saturday, when he said he believed Russian President Vladimir Putin when Putin told him Russia did not interfere in the 2016 election.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...ctions-2017-11

Comment

• Efforts to reduce tensions with Russia should be welcomed.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Efforts to reduce tensions with Russia should be welcomed.
                            No, F that... we shouldn't even let any of those commie basturds set foot into this country and beef up our nuclear arsenal. And let's build that wall in Germany again to keep them out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Efforts to reduce tensions with Russia should be welcomed.
                              Yeah - I'm wondering why Frank didn't post about how Russia feels slighted that Putin didn't get a meeting with Trump while they were in Korea. It's an easy "Look, Trump Screwed Up" headline.

Comment

• Assange is pretty slimy.

The Secret Correspondence Between Donald Trump Jr. and WikiLeaks

The transparency organization asked the president’s son for his cooperation—in sharing its work, in contesting the results of the election, and in arranging for Julian Assange to be Australia’s ambassador to the United States.

Just before the stroke of midnight on September 20, 2016, at the height of last year’s presidential election, the WikiLeaks Twitter account sent a private direct message to Donald Trump Jr., the Republican nominee’s oldest son and campaign surrogate. “A PAC run anti-Trump site putintrump.org is about to launch,” WikiLeaks wrote. “The PAC is a recycled pro-Iraq war PAC. We have guessed the password. It is ‘putintrump.’ See ‘About’ for who is behind it. Any comments?” (The site, which has since become a joint project with Mother Jones, was founded by Rob Glaser, a tech entrepreneur, and was funded by Progress for USA Political Action Committee.)

The next morning, about 12 hours later, Trump Jr. responded to WikiLeaks. “Off the record I don’t know who that is, but I’ll ask around,” he wrote on September 21, 2016. “Thanks.”

The messages, obtained by The Atlantic, were also turned over by Trump Jr.’s lawyers to congressional investigators. They are part of a long—and largely one-sided—correspondence between WikiLeaks and the president’s son that continued until at least July 2017. The messages show WikiLeaks, a radical transparency organization that the American intelligence community believes was chosen by the Russian government to disseminate the information it had hacked, actively soliciting Trump Jr.’s cooperation. WikiLeaks made a series of increasingly bold requests, including asking for Trump’s tax returns, urging the Trump campaign on Election Day to reject the results of the election as rigged, and requesting that the president-elect tell Australia to appoint Julian Assange ambassador to the United States.
                                Though Trump Jr. mostly ignored the frequent messages from WikiLeaks, he at times appears to have acted on its requests. When WikiLeaks first reached out to Trump Jr. about putintrump.org, for instance, Trump Jr. followed up on his promise to “ask around.” According to a source familiar with the congressional investigations into Russian interference with the 2016 campaign, who requested anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, on the same day that Trump Jr. received the first message from WikiLeaks, he emailed other senior officials with the Trump campaign, including Steve Bannon, Kellyanne Conway, Brad Parscale, and Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner, telling them WikiLeaks had made contact. Kushner then forwarded the email to campaign communications staffer Hope Hicks. At no point during the 10-month correspondence does Trump Jr. rebuff WikiLeaks, which had published stolen documents and was already observed to be releasing information that benefited Russian interests.

WikiLeaks played a pivotal role in the presidential campaign. In July 2016, on the first day of the Democratic National Convention, WikiLeaks released emails stolen from the Democratic National Committee's servers that spring. The emails showed DNC officials denigrating Bernie Sanders, renewing tensions on the eve of Clinton’s acceptance of the nomination. On October 7, less than an hour after the Washington Post released the Access Hollywood tape, in which Trump bragged about sexually assaulting women, Wikileaks released emails that hackers had pilfered from the personal email account of Clinton’s campaign manager John Podesta.

On October 3, 2016, WikiLeaks wrote again. “Hiya, it’d be great if you guys could comment on/push this story,” WikiLeaks suggested, attaching a quote from then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton about wanting to “just drone” WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange.

“Already did that earlier today,” Trump Jr. responded an hour-and-a-half later. “It’s amazing what she can get away with.”

Two minutes later, Trump Jr. wrote again, asking, “What’s behind this Wednesday leak I keep reading about?” The day before, Roger Stone, an informal advisor to Donald Trump, had tweeted, “Wednesday@HillaryClinton is done. #WikiLeaks.”
                                https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/545738/

Let's all stop pretending Wikileaks is transparent. This tweet came out 15 minutes after wikileaks asked for the Trump people to push their story. https://twitter.com/YAppelbaum/statu...95080496984065
                                Last edited by frank ryan; 11-13-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X