Roombas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roombas

Does anyone have a Roomba? My wife wants one, but I can just imagine the thing getting stuck in a loop and vacuuming the same patch of the floor 100s of times.

We have about as much travertine in the house as carpet, probably more, so it would be handy there. And the carpet itself, is tightly woven with a pattern. So the Roomba wouldn't get stuck on any shag.

On the other hand, my kids leave their crap all over the place. I'm not sure how they deal with Shopkins and Thomas the Train toys.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

I think it's smart enough to give the floor a once-over and then return to its charging station for the day without vacuuming up toys.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
      I think it's smart enough to give the floor a once-over and then return to its charging station for the day without vacuuming up toys.
      So you're saying this little automated robot vacuum thingy is smarter than most of my kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
        I'm not worried about vacuuming up toys. I'm worried about it thinking that the toy is a leg of a table and stays clear of it, but the vacuum thinks there's about 20 table legs and can't get anything done in between.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Do you have a dog?
          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

i predict this will be a long and fruitful thread
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              I'm not worried about vacuuming up toys. I'm worried about it thinking that the toy is a leg of a table and stays clear of it, but the vacuum thinks there's about 20 table legs and can't get anything done in between.
              Good news. I found a feature article written just for your query.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/29/1...a-neato-deebot
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

We have the Roomba 880; it's not a bad little device. It's fairly dumb, but is smarter than the one other brand we tried (and ultimately sent back). It will wedge itself under the hutch or this one sofa in our living room... both of which must have a clearance height that exactly matches the height of the Roomba I guess. That's a bit annoying. I guess the wi-fi version of the thing will ping your phone if it gets stuck, but that's seems a bit gimmicky and not worth the $900 price point. We borrowed a 650 from a friend to give it a whirl before we bought our own. I recommend you do the same (if you have a friend that already has one), so that you can get a feel for it and see if it will meet your expectations. The 880 has a bigger bin, more power, and better battery life than the 650.

The vacuum does a pretty good job at nav'ing around obstacles like books and toys and crap. But anything like headphones, phone charging cables, et al will wrap around the little brush and create a fault and cause it to stop. We try to always tidy up the area before we set it loose (or make the kids do it), but now and again it finds a necklace or a doodad (like under a bed) that it can't handle. Speaking of under beds... it does a great job hitting those places that you might otherwise overlook. Obviously if the space under a bed is stuffed full of crap (that you should probably throw away anyway), then that doesn't apply.

It does seems to be hard on the corners of our tufted area rugs. I've noticed some abnormal wear on a couple of corners of the area rug underneath the pool table (it could be normal traffic, but I hadn't noticed it until after we bought the Roomba). The rugs shed normally, but the bin on the Roomba fills up quickly with the rug fibers. Not sure that is a good thing. Those rugs are all on the third level, which is entirely floored with hard wood. We don't put the Roomba up there anymore.

I dunno if I'd recommend it or not. I seem to have a love/hate relationship with it, but the wife doesn't regret buying it in the least.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                  We have the Roomba 880; it's not a bad little device. It's fairly dumb, but is smarter than the one other brand we tried (and ultimately sent back). It will wedge itself under the hutch or this one sofa in our living room... both of which must have a clearance height that exactly matches the height of the Roomba I guess. That's a bit annoying. I guess the wi-fi version of the thing will ping your phone if it gets stuck, but that's seems a bit gimmicky and not worth the $900 price point. We borrowed a 650 from a friend to give it a whirl before we bought our own. I recommend you do the same (if you have a friend that already has one), so that you can get a feel for it and see if it will meet your expectations. The 880 has a bigger bin, more power, and better battery life than the 650.

The vacuum does a pretty good job at nav'ing around obstacles like books and toys and crap. But anything like headphones, phone charging cables, et al will wrap around the little brush and create a fault and cause it to stop. We try to always tidy up the area before we set it loose (or make the kids do it), but now and again it finds a necklace or a doodad (like under a bed) that it can't handle. Speaking of under beds... it does a great job hitting those places that you might otherwise overlook. Obviously if the space under a bed is stuffed full of crap (that you should probably throw away anyway), then that doesn't apply.

It does seems to be hard on the corners of our tufted area rugs. I've noticed some abnormal wear on a couple of corners of the area rug underneath the pool table (it could be normal traffic, but I hadn't noticed it until after we bought the Roomba). The rugs shed normally, but the bin on the Roomba fills up quickly with the rug fibers. Not sure that is a good thing. Those rugs are all on the third level, which is entirely floored with hard wood. We don't put the Roomba up there anymore.

I dunno if I'd recommend it or not. I seem to have a love/hate relationship with it, but the wife doesn't regret buying it in the least.

But does it do windows?

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    But does it do windows?

Ha, he finishes the review by pulling out a squeegee and a bucket and says those are far more simple and easier than the window bot. Really, what's the point of that?

Comment

Lot's of Roomba and dog poop fiasco stories and videos out there.

Comment

That reminds me of this SNL commercial:

[YOUTUBE]gqesEYUXr78[/YOUTUBE]
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          Does anyone have a Roomba? My wife wants one, but I can just imagine the thing getting stuck in a loop and vacuuming the same patch of the floor 100s of times.

We have about as much travertine in the house as carpet, probably more, so it would be handy there. And the carpet itself, is tightly woven with a pattern. So the Roomba wouldn't get stuck on any shag.

On the other hand, my kids leave their crap all over the place. I'm not sure how they deal with Shopkins and Thomas the Train toys.
                          I like our Roomba, but my wife thinks it is possessed and out to get her.

It has a sensor in front - infrared, I think - that makes it slow down and brace for impact with walls and furniture. It's able to push small toys out of its own way.

We don't have a dog.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            I like our Roomba, but my wife thinks it is possessed and out to get her.

It has a sensor in front - infrared, I think - that makes it slow down and brace for impact with walls and furniture. It's able to push small toys out of its own way.

We don't have a dog.
                            How about a chicken?

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Monoprice has their version of he Roomba:https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21714

The have a $99 version as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X