Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #LighttheWorld

Thanks to the inspirational words of Husky and PAC, I too decided to reach out to the estranged. I went into my office where my wife was sitting at the computer and I said that I was sorry and that she ought to be more humble and forgive me of my trespasses. I lingered a little longer than would be considered normal..... and she says - no way! - uh uh - ain't gonna happen, you just go away and leave me alone.

#lightofworldexceptathome

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Thanks to the inspirational words of Husky and PAC, I too decided to reach out to the estranged. I went into my office where my wife was sitting at the computer and I said that I was sorry and that she ought to be more humble and forgive me of my trespasses. I lingered a little longer than would be considered normal..... and she says - no way! - uh uh - ain't gonna happen, you just go away and leave me alone.

#lightofworldexceptathome
    Sometimes its like you're living in the wrong dimension.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Awesome story, HFN. Very inspiring.

Always go with that gut, HFN! Great story.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

As previously reported, we told our kids that instead of tangible gifts (we really don’t need any more stuff), we wanted them to devote the time and/or money they would have spent on us to some act of service, and send us a paragraph summary of what they had done. This turned out even better than we had hoped. Each of the six kids did some really cool things, and those with kids got them heavily involved, which they apparently loved. Even the boyfriend/girlfriends of our unmarried kids really got into it.

I’ll mention just a couple of things… PH and his daughter talked to their kids about how a lot of people can’t be home with their families on Christmas day because they’re doing things to help and protect us (e.g., people in the armed services, hospital staffs, police, etc.). So they put together a basket of goodies and visited the local fire station where they surprised the firefighters but received a very enthusiastic welcome. They were given a tour of the station which the grandkids absolutely loved. The PH family also did a few other very generous acts and their kids have really gotten into the service thing.

Our youngest got together with a couple of other friends, all of whom have the latest in video games and equipment. By prior arrangement they took their gaming rigs to Primary Children’s Hospital where they spent the afternoon and evening teaching a lot of kids between the ages of 5 and 14 how to play various games and letting them go out at it for hours. Some of the kids had never played any kind of video game and they were euphoric.

The write-ups from each of our kids and their counterparts are a terrific gift for us. I’ll get my own ties and golf balls.

PAC that is terrific. Love those ideas and such a cool way to show kids the value and fun of service.

A friend and I are doing a small homeless outreach project in Harlem. We are assembling care packages that we will distribute this weekend. They will contain some clothing and a decent supply of toiletries and food, as well as some first aid items. I'm terrible at asking for donations, but I thought I'd see if any of my imaginary internet friends want to contribute. It will cost about $20/package. If anyone wants to give a few dollars that will go directly to the Harlem homeless, please PM me and I'll give you my paypal address. It's just the two of us executing this, so our overhead is extremely low! (zero).

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    A friend and I are doing a small homeless outreach project in Harlem. We are assembling care packages that we will distribute this weekend. They will contain some clothing and a decent supply of toiletries and food, as well as some first aid items. I'm terrible at asking for donations, but I thought I'd see if any of my imaginary internet friends want to contribute. It will cost about $20/package. If anyone wants to give a few dollars that will go directly to the Harlem homeless, please PM me and I'll give you my paypal address. It's just the two of us executing this, so our overhead is extremely low! (zero).
    I wanted to thank everyone who donated. I was surprised how many people were willing to give to someone they had never met IRL. You are very generous people. FYI we were able to put together just over 50 packages this time and they were mostly distributed on Friday. I have about 4 left over and I am taking one with me to work each day until they are gone. It's pretty easy to find someone to give them to on the subway. The people who received were genuinely grateful and of course it helped us reorient ourselves. This place can really harden your heart if you are not careful so me signing on with the project was a way to get out of my selfish shell and interact with those the world would consider the least of my brethren. The best part for me personally was I was able to take my daughter with me as we distributed the kits. We have explained to her before that we are very fortunate and some people don't have enough to eat or even a place to live, so it is our responsibility to help if we can. When she saw me hand out the first bag and how grateful the person was who received it, her face lit up and she turned to me and said "Daddy, I want to do it! I want to give!" She meant of course that she wanted to hand out one of the bags. But I am hoping that the seeds are being planted in her heart so as she grows she will be much better than her old man at sincerely saying "I want to give."

So thanks to everyone who donated and helped to make this possible.

bags.jpg

Thanks for the report and for making the world a better place.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Very cool, Omaha. I have no doubt this lesson will bless your daughter in years to come.

That is very cool. I love that you involved your little girl. Way to go.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

LDS Church unveils charity vending machines on Temple Square

For $75, you can donate a goat to a family in a Third World country this Christmas.

For $25, you can pay for two chickens. It's $20 for an eye exam or $5 for eyeglasses.

All you have to do is take your money to the red vending machines in the corner of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building's main lobby in downtown Salt Lake and select your item. Charities partnering with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will do the rest.

The machines will even generate a receipt for tax deductions in exchange for your charitable giving.

These unusual vending machines are how the LDS Church is kicking off its "Light the World" initiative, which starts Friday and runs until Christmas Day, and includes the campaign "In 25 Ways, Over 25 Days." Each day features a new video with a message sharing ways to serve others.
    There are four machines offering different items from different charities.

Care.org has items such as a personal first aid kit ($10), school shoes ($30) and lifesaving medicine ($55).

The second machine, sponsored by Utah Food Bank and Eye Care 4 Kids, offers small food items for $3 to glasses ($5) and eye exams ($20).

The third machine allows people to donate bottles of water, thanks to nonprofit organizations WaterAid and Water for People.

The fourth machine's items are all free as they are cards with a scripture reference and an idea for an act of service.
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...Christmas.html
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
    LDS Church unveils charity vending machines on Temple Square

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...Christmas.html
    Pretty cool idea. My wife wants drive up and buy a couple of goats for someone.

love this campaign
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Because of Elder Kearon's superb April 2016 talk and last year's program, we've gone all in on #LighttheWorld and are excited for the current season. I showed some of the videos last year at a big Christmas dinner we hosted for my old grade school and high school buddies (none of them LDS) and they loved it; some even joined in. Great program and fun to have the daily reminders.

very cool man. very cool.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Because of Elder Kearon's superb April 2016 talk and last year's program, we've gone all in on #LighttheWorld and are excited for the current season. I showed some of the videos last year at a big Christmas dinner we hosted for my old grade school and high school buddies (none of them LDS) and they loved it; some even joined in. Great program and fun to have the daily reminders.
    That's cool and all, but when was the last time you #ponderized?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Came home to find these on our doorstep this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk