Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 78

Thread: #LighttheWorld

  1. #31
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    19,970

    Default

    Let's go shopping!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  2. #32
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,513

    Default

    When Elder's Quorum text trees go wrong.

    My EQ president sent out a text to a handful of us tonight regarding table and chair set up for tomorrow night's Christmas party. Things quickly took an unexpected turn. I think we were hoping that it would turn into the kid that accidentally got invited to Thanksgiving by grandma.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  3. #33

    Default



    I always send out individual texts. Maybe I should rethink that.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,406

    Default

    This thread has taken a turn from the sublime to the mundane.

  5. #35

    Default

    I am using LED to light the yard this Christmas. I don't have enough bulbs for the world.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  6. #36
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I am using LED to light the yard this Christmas. I don't have enough bulbs for the world.
    Last night, my wife brought home one of those lights that project seasonal shapes on the side of your house. My goodness do those things suck. I had to climb up and disassemble the lights on each side of the garage just to avoid drowning out the dancing snowflakes. My neighbor has one of those laser things that puts green and red dots all over her house. Not as festive but much better coverage.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  7. #37

    Default

    I helped red team a federal proposal yesterday. For free. I don't know if such an active of Christian service has ever been performed. By me at least.

  8. #38
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post


    I always send out individual texts. Maybe I should rethink that.
    If it helps, I always feel more obligation to show up, or at least respond, when it's an individual text. When I see that there's 27 other guys on the text, it's easier to convince myself that for or five of them are less busy than I am.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  9. #39
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    26,885

    Default

    Those things are the height of laziness. Just spike it in the ground and wash your house in lights.

    I am not a fan.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #40
    Members Only Dwight Schr-ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Those things are the height of laziness. Just spike it in the ground and "wash" your house in lights.

    I am not a fan.
    "Wash" being very generous.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

  11. #41
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    In connection with the LTW program, our daughter was about to buy a year's free schooling for a female refugee through the International Rescue Committee and do so in the names of each of her two youngest kids' teachers. When her kids learned she was doing this, the eleven-year-old, who has been really into the LTW program, handed her $30 to help pay for it, thereby depleting all of his remaining spendable cash. Her 8-year-old gave her $20, noting that, "I'd just spend it on candy anyway." I told my daughter this made me really want to splurge on our Christmas gifts to them, but she rejected that idea, noting that they were really happy doing the things they've been doing and she wanted their only reward to be the good feelings that come from serving others and I shouldn't defile an otherwise selfless act with materialism. This is seriously cramping my style.


    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Those things are the height of laziness. Just spike it in the ground and wash your house in lights.

    I am not a fan.
    Seriously, some of the houses with those things look like they've contracted measles or chicken pox. Not good.

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I am using LED to light the yard this Christmas. I don't have enough bulbs for the world.
    Don't feel bad. You are lighting your part of the world.

  13. #43

    Default

    Love it, PAC. You have a great family.

  14. #44
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    10,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    In connection with the LTW program, our daughter was about to buy a year's free schooling for a female refugee through the International Rescue Committee and do so in the names of each of her two youngest kids' teachers. When her kids learned she was doing this, the eleven-year-old, who has been really into the LTW program, handed her $30 to help pay for it, thereby depleting all of his remaining spendable cash. Her 8-year-old gave her $20, noting that, "I'd just spend it on candy anyway." I told my daughter this made me really want to splurge on our Christmas gifts to them, but she rejected that idea, noting that they were really happy doing the things they've been doing and she wanted their only reward to be the good feelings that come from serving others and I shouldn't defile an otherwise selfless act with materialism. This is seriously cramping my style.




    Seriously, some of the houses with those things look like they've contracted measles or chicken pox. Not good.
    An inspiration and good advice coming from your daughter. Your daughter in NYC still doing well?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  15. #45
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Seriously, some of the houses with those things look like they've contracted measles or chicken pox. Not good.
    Frustrated becasue my son and I have only managed to get up half of our christmas lights so far this year, my wife threatened me with one of those LED house-"wash" lights. If all lights arent up by COB Saturday, Monday will see my place bathed in those little dots. A pox on my house indeed.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  16. #46
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    Our ward's Christmas breakfast this morning had a LTW theme, with the dining tables featuring crèches from various countries. Each crèche was adorned with those tiny LEDs from Costco. One of the post-prandial activities was the completion of 50 gift baskets filled with good eats, Christmas ornaments and, of course, more lights, along with an invitation to our Ward's Christmas program. These are being delivered to inactives today. I'm not expecting a significant response but the baskets are pretty cool and it's an easy way to get my HT done.

    IMG_0002.jpg

  17. #47
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm genuinely curious whether you post that with regret, eager anticipation, or simply as an indifferent observer.
    Indifferent mostly, but with an edge. Not regret.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  18. #48
    Trump-hating snowflake Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    45,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Indifferent mostly, but with an edge. Not regret.
    Heartwarming.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  19. #49
    Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Heartwarming.
    Christmas as it is to you, like cursive and stay at home moms, is probably of shorter history and more ephemeral than you realize.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

  20. #50
    Soul Plumber wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hartsville, South Carolina
    Posts
    27,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Christmas as it is to you, like cursive and stay at home moms, is probably of shorter history and more ephemeral than you realize.
    As someone who has poured over 400-year-old manuscripts in a frustrating attempt at paleography of colonial-era bureaucrats trying to explain why a free woman of color should be allowed to go to the Americas, or not, I ask you to defend your comment on cursive.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

  21. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    As someone who has poured over 400-year-old manuscripts in a frustrating attempt at paleography of colonial-era bureaucrats trying to explain why a free woman of color should be allowed to go to the Americas, or not, I ask you to defend your comment on cursive.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  22. #52
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. But why were you up so early?

  23. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. But why were you up so early?
    I wasn't. I was up late.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  24. #54
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Frustrated becasue my son and I have only managed to get up half of our christmas lights so far this year, my wife threatened me with one of those LED house-"wash" lights. If all lights arent up by COB Saturday, Monday will see my place bathed in those little dots. A pox on my house indeed.
    <bump> I've been worried about you, creek. Did you get the lights up or has your house taken ill?

  25. #55
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    <bump> I've been worried about you, creek. Did you get the lights up or has your house taken ill?
    Thank you for your concern. My wife gave me a brief continuance on the deadline and, as of last night, all lights are up. It was close, but no pox on my house this year.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  26. #56
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Thank you for your concern. My wife gave me a brief continuance on the deadline and, as of last night, all lights are up. It was close, but no pox on my house this year.
    It's a Christmas miracle! The last of our lights go up tomorrow, finally. I've been milking the accident thing for all it's worth this season.

  27. #57
    Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Davis County, UT
    Posts
    981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    It's a Christmas miracle! The last of our lights go up tomorrow, finally. I've been milking the accident thing for all it's worth this season.
    Our lights went up the day after Thanksgiving. However, that night we noticed that one of the lights right above our garage was burned out. I have replacement bulbs, and it would be very easy to get out the ladder and replace it. But the problem is, I just don't want to do it.

    instead, I made up a fable that was just funny enough to get my wife off my back. I told her that it was a old Norwegian tradition to leave one prominent bulb dark, in memory of sailors lost at see. She laughed, and said if anyone mentioned it she would refer them to me to tell the tale.

    FTR, we are in no way Norwegian, and live in a mountain desert nowhere close to a sea. But if this election cycle has taught me anything, it's that the more outrageous the story, the more likely it is to be accepted (well, at least by 45.9% of registered voters in Utah).

  28. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I told my daughter this made me really want to splurge on our Christmas gifts to them, but she rejected that idea, noting that they were really happy doing the things they've been doing and she wanted their only reward to be the good feelings that come from serving others and I shouldn't defile an otherwise selfless act with materialism. This is seriously cramping my style.
    Even if Grandpa is limited in his generosity, Santa sees all. Just sayin'.

  29. #59
    Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Eug
    Posts
    25,725

    Default

    At the risk of ruining the thread I would like to share a positive experience I had with #LightTheWorld. I have a family member that I used to have a very close relationship with however through various choices that both of us have made we have become estranged. At times I have felt sadness for my role in the situation and at times I have felt anger at them for their role in our current relationship state.

    Last Friday's #LigthTheWorld was "Jesus Visited the Lonely and So Can You" the possible example was to do something for a widow or widower. Goose and I had decided to go visit a widow down the street from us who always stops and talks for longer than seems normal to the kids when they are out playing in the yard. I was proud of myself for following through and actually doing something. I spent all day with a gut feeling, when one's gut is as prodigious as mine it becomes difficult to ignore, that there was something else I could do. I decided to reach out to the estranged family member that said "I know we don't talk anymore, but I have been thinking about you and I love you". It was as inspired of thing as I have ever done. We have been communicating over the weekend, and while there are still issues that may not be resolved between us there is a new or perhaps renewed feeling of love and care. Sure this could have been achieved without #LightTheWorld, but I likely wouldn't have been thinking about something like reaching outside of myself. Hopefully others will have similar good experiences or better.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

  30. #60
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    At the risk of ruining the thread I would like to share a positive experience I had with #LightTheWorld. I have a family member that I used to have a very close relationship with however through various choices that both of us have made we have become estranged. At times I have felt sadness for my role in the situation and at times I have felt anger at them for their role in our current relationship state.

    Last Friday's #LigthTheWorld was "Jesus Visited the Lonely and So Can You" the possible example was to do something for a widow or widower. Goose and I had decided to go visit a widow down the street from us who always stops and talks for longer than seems normal to the kids when they are out playing in the yard. I was proud of myself for following through and actually doing something. I spent all day with a gut feeling, when one's gut is as prodigious as mine it becomes difficult to ignore, that there was something else I could do. I decided to reach out to the estranged family member that said "I know we don't talk anymore, but I have been thinking about you and I love you". It was as inspired of thing as I have ever done. We have been communicating over the weekend, and while there are still issues that may not be resolved between us there is a new or perhaps renewed feeling of love and care. Sure this could have been achieved without #LightTheWorld, but I likely wouldn't have been thinking about something like reaching outside of myself. Hopefully others will have similar good experiences or better.
    That's very cool, HFN, and it's motivated me to call a sister with whom I speak maybe once a year, if that. It's strange how we (or at least I) examine motives and question the necessity or propriety of programs like #LightTheWorld, or become cynical about the season generally, but these are good things people are doing. I'm enjoying this year's holiday season more than most.

    P.S. I love chrisrenut's Norwegian tale that got him out of a bothersome task. I intend to revise and apply it to future annoyances. It helps that Mrs. PAC descends from Norwegians.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •