Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #LighttheWorld

Default #LighttheWorld

Cool plan the church is promoting this Christmas season. We have our kids involved and I'm impressed with the services projects they're coming up with. Today my wife is coordinating a secret santa thing for poor people. I did some nice things for some people and my kids made cards for some widows in our ward to drop off tonight.

Inspired by Elder Kearon, we're actually going to engage with Catholic social services to assist with some refugee families. I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Would like to hear if anyone else is doing this and share your projects and ideas.

https://www.mormon.org/christmas/in-...s-over-25-days

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I (and others) talked about this in BM's helpful Take a Vacation thread and Mrs. PAC & I have really gotten into the program. The brochure our ward produced in connection with the program lists 175 specific things we can/should be doing, and we've committed to do a number of them. Our bishop could see I was so pumped about it that he asked me to speak about it next week in Sacrament Meeting and I haven't been this enthused about a topic in a very long time. Our ward is doing a number of things and people seem to be very supportive of the program.

At the personal level, II'm looking forward to the an annual dinner we host for close friends from grade school plus their spouses (yes, we still get together more than a half century later). We've given them gifts in the past that, while funny or nice (e.g., remote controlled helicopters, embroidered dish towels, whatever), this year we're going to make modest donations in the name of each guest, each one to a different charity selected on the basis of that person's skills, talents or traits that we admire. For example, one friend is a retired schoolteacher who was beloved throughout the district--we're donating in her name to a school program for refugee girls. I fear this will have a George Costanza Human Fund-like element to it, but we hope it'll be at least as well-received as the unneeded crap we've given in the past. Again, not a lot of money, but it's the spirit of the thing, right?

I know that talking about one's good deeds or sacrifices can be uncool, self-laudatory and counter to the ideals of humble service, but I like reading about what others are doing so I hope others will share a few of the things going on.

I did speak about this in Sacrament Meeting last Sunday, and it was very well received. By Tuesday the Young Women's organization had jumped all over it (at least they were kind enough to credit me) and my daughter came home from her meeting with a calendar, reminder pages, etc. Another ward member brought her annual neighbor gift a little early - the #lighttheworld calendar and a candle that I'm supposed to burn for a few minutes each day after I've completed my task.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    I did speak about this in Sacrament Meeting last Sunday, and it was very well received. By Tuesday the Young Women's organization had jumped all over it (at least they were kind enough to credit me) and my daughter came home from her meeting with a calendar, reminder pages, etc. Another ward member brought her annual neighbor gift a little early - the #lighttheworld calendar and a candle that I'm supposed to burn for a few minutes each day after I've completed my task.
    i have a candle i burn each day after i've completed my tasks
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

All you Joel Osteen disciples aren't fooling anyone.

A nice video for the program...

[youtube]mJmAV0gTp_Q[/youtube]

I like that video, PAC.

Faith crisis consultant SeattleUte's Avatar

Christmas is disappearing. Before long it will just be six weeks of consumerism, widespread shopping deals--mostly on the internet--and some time off work.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Christmas is disappearing. Before long it will just be six weeks of consumerism, widespread shopping deals--mostly on the internet--and some time off work.
    Not in my heart!

debbie-downer.jpg

I'm genuinely curious whether you post that with regret, eager anticipation, or simply as an indifferent observer.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I'm genuinely curious whether you post that with regret, eager anticipation, or simply as an indifferent observer.
    Because he's an asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Because he's an asshole?
    I considered that option but I'm convinced that if (and only if) one eschews the topics of BYU, the Church, or one's eternal potential, SU is not an asshole.

I (and others) talked about this in BM's helpful Take a Vacation thread and Mrs. PAC & I have really gotten into the program. The brochure our ward produced in connection with the program lists 175 specific things we can/should be doing, and we've committed to do a number of them. Our bishop could see I was so pumped about it that he asked me to speak about it next week in Sacrament Meeting and I haven't been this enthused about a topic in a very long time. Our ward is doing a number of things and people seem to be very supportive of the program.

At the personal level, II'm looking forward to the an annual dinner we host for close friends from grade school plus their spouses (yes, we still get together more than a half century later). We've given them gifts in the past that, while funny or nice (e.g., remote controlled helicopters, embroidered dish towels, whatever), this year we're going to make modest donations in the name of each guest, each one to a different charity selected on the basis of that person's skills, talents or traits that we admire. For example, one friend is a retired schoolteacher who was beloved throughout the district--we're donating in her name to a school program for refugee girls. I fear this will have a George Costanza Human Fund-like element to it, but we hope it'll be at least as well-received as the unneeded crap we've given in the past. Again, not a lot of money, but it's the spirit of the thing, right?

I know that talking about one's good deeds or sacrifices can be uncool, self-laudatory and counter to the ideals of humble service, but I like reading about what others are doing so I hope others will share a few of the things going on.
    My family is enjoying the program too. I like hearing about what other people do because sometimes it gives me ideas I hadn't thought about before.

Pre-Historic Man

He's not far off, and I say that with all the saudade of my heart.

Perhaps we may conclude with the words of Goethe as he passed from this life, "Mehr Licht," in terms of the death of Christmas.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/be...ng-1.1041302-2
    Last edited by Topper; 12-02-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    He's not far off, and I say that with all the saudade of my heart.

Perhaps we may conclude with the words of Goethe as he passed from this life, "Mehr Licht," in terms of the death of Christmas.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/be...ng-1.1041302-2
    saudade? I had to look that one up.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    It is a distinctly Portuguese concept that means more than nostalgia, because you may have it for something you've never had. It is part of the Portuguese embrace of sadness and longing.

Just as Zeitgeist or Guanxi or enryo shouldn't be translated, neither should saudade.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

So did topper.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    So did topper.
    Read an article about it. Of course, one must research a new concept when one encounters it. Are you saying you understand guanxi immediately upon its introduction?
    Last edited by Topper; 12-03-2016 at 05:30 PM.

I didn't! #portugueserocks
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Not sure where to post this, this seems like a good place. Watching the Christmas devotional tonight, and I saw a mustache I haven't seen before in the choir. Did I find Copelius?

IMG_3090.jpg
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Not sure where to post this, this seems like a good place. Watching the Christmas devotional tonight, and I saw a mustache I haven't seen before in the choir. Did I find Copelius?

IMG_3090.jpg
    Just a bit outside. He's been in longer than I have but just grew it for November. I was surprised he's kept it past the 30th.
    Last edited by Copelius; 12-06-2016 at 10:42 PM.
    ďEvery player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they donít itís because they never got the chance.Ē Aroldis Chapman

thanks!!! and a very merry christmas to you too, ByronMarchant!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    Your fixation is really unhealthy. Get a grip and move on, man.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    thanks!!! and a very merry christmas to you too, ByronMarchant!
    Byron Marchant celebrates Xmas.

Merry Xmas BM!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Those Christmassy pictures put me in the Holiday mood. Thanks BM!

What a great reminder of the power of the church to do good, taking an area that was start to really fall into a state of blight, and beautifying and improving it for all the people who come there.

Merry Christmas Byron! Hope you have a great one!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post

Merry Xmas BM!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post

Merry Xmas BM!
    Really?