America's Test Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    The Tramontina arrived today. Assuming it is as advertised, this is a great value for the price. Also, I noticed the lid handle is now stainless steel. Earlier versions were some kind of plastic and limited the temperature range for use in the oven. Thanks for the tip, wuapinmon.
    Sure. I used mine last night to make Chicken Paprikash.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

On a non-dutch-oven note, I saw an episode of Cook's Country the other day in which they made a chocolate eclair cake. It looked good, so I made one to try it.

It's sweet, but it's really good. I added an extra layer of graham crackers, and I was happy with that ratio. It makes a lot, so have people over or take it to a group event.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        On a non-dutch-oven note, I saw an episode of Cook's Country the other day in which they made a chocolate eclair cake. It looked good, so I made one to try it.

It's sweet, but it's really good. I added an extra layer of graham crackers, and I was happy with that ratio. It makes a lot, so have people over or take it to a group event.
        I've never had a recipe from Cooks' Illustrated that didn't taste awesome. The tomato mac and cheese from Cooks' Country just wasn't good at all.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

My children are finicky. They have never even considered chicken legs, one of my favorite childhood treats. Tonight we made this recipe, and it was absolutely delicious, and the boy ate three legs, while the girls had two each. The boy never eats meat, and certainly not off the bone. But, these were picked clean (we only used chicken legs since that's what was on sale). Enjoy. The recipe is free until the end of June:

http://www.cookscountry.com/recipes/...etables/32806/

Comment

This is the last piece of the pecan pie from America's Test Kitchen we made this weekend. It was fantastic.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372049695.182720.jpg
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

A pretty interesting read on ATK's founder, Christoper Kimball. I got a chuckle out of this, particularly because I remember some of the early ATK episodes and how shockingly raw and homemade they felt:

The impression is of a camera crew that simply walked into the office and began filming. “That’s pretty much what happened,” says Julia Collin Davison, a kitchen assistant conscripted onto the show who became one of its mainstays. “You can see the stress-blindness on our faces.” Willoughby, who was handed the show’s science segment, agrees. “Those [early season] shows are pretty rough-looking,” he says. “I think what appealed to viewers was how real they were.” When I mentioned this to Kimball, he grinned: “That’s what people always say when you suck at something.”
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Wal-Mart has that Tramontina dutch oven on sale right now. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina...-Oven/29114481

It's a total deal for the top-rated one after the Le Creuset stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                  I love many soups, but this is my absolute favorite. Let us know how it goes in your dutch oven. I've never had much luck making it in a regular pot.This would be reason alone for me to buy one.
                  Revisiting this thread. I made a fanastic French onion in the le creuset. It makes a big difference. It is also very time consuming.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

My Sam's Club has the Tramontina enameled Dutch oven for $29.98 right now. It's a great deal.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                    X