Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 297

Thread: Take a Vacation

  1. #31

    Default

    2016 was too full of vacations, frankly, and the wife would like to reign it in. We went to Paris and Normandy for spring break; Iceland for a four-day getaway; Germany, Czech Republic, and Poland in the summer; a Disney cruise to Alaska; Florida beaches and amusement parks in late summer; Chicago for the Hamilton play and the Chicago Cubs World Series parade; the Berkshires in Massachusetts (to visit the Rockwell museum mostly) and take in the fall foilage; New York City several times for weekend getaways; and of course the annual pilgrimages to Utah . . . I think I should take the opposite of your advice and not go on any vacations for a while. Except for the return trip to Iceland, this time two weeks, we have planned for next summer. Oh yea, and the trip to Barcelona and Madrid to watch Messi and Ronaldo in person with my boys. But other than that, I think we'll ignore your advice. Seems to be a good rule of thumb anyway.
    Last edited by Levin; 11-23-2016 at 09:03 AM.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,858

    Default

    I guess I'll add: Currently in KC for Thanksgiving, but working too much. We are also going to SLC over New Year's. My maternal Grandma's birthday is December 31. She is my last surviving grandparent and is turning 100. Both paternal grandparents died at 99. We are finally getting a 100th bday celebration, so we are really going to blow it out with all her posterity flying in from all over the country. All her kids, 12 grandkids + spouses and something like 30 great grandkids. Also a lot of grandma's nieces and nephews and some distant relatives she has connected with in Denmark (she is a genealogy machine) are coming. Should be fun and I know grandma will love it.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I guess I'll add: Currently in KC for Thanksgiving, but working too much. We are also going to SLC over New Year's. My maternal Grandma's birthday is December 31. She is my last surviving grandparent and is turning 100. Both paternal grandparents died at 99. We are finally getting a 100th bday celebration, so we are really going to blow it out with all her posterity flying in from all over the country. All her kids, 12 grandkids + spouses and something like 30 great grandkids. Also a lot of grandma's nieces and nephews and some distant relatives she has connected with in Denmark (she is a genealogy machine) are coming. Should be fun and I know grandma will love it.
    you better knock on wood bro
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,858

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    you better knock on wood bro
    Yep. My mom said if she dies within a week of her birthday, at least we all already have travel arrangements for the funeral.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levin View Post
    2016 was too full of vacations, frankly, and the wife would like to reign it in. We went to Paris and Normandy for spring break; Iceland for a four-day getaway; Germany, Czech Republic, and Poland in the summer; a Disney cruise to Alaska; Florida beaches and amusement parks in late summer; Chicago for the Hamilton play and the Chicago Cubs World Series parade; the Berkshires in Massachusetts (to visit the Rockwell museum mostly) and take in the fall foilage; New York City several times for weekend getaways; and of course the annual pilgrimages to Utah . . . I think I should take the opposite of your advice and not go on any vacations for a while. Except for the return trip to Iceland, this time two weeks, we have planned for next summer. Oh yea, and the trip to Barcelona and Madrid to watch Messi and Ronaldo in person with my boys. But other than that, I think we'll ignore your advice. Seems to be a good rule of thumb anyway.
    Freaking Levin and his wondrous travel schedule.

  6. #36
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    2,634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    I would like to encourage all of you to take a vacation from Mormonism.

    Not a long vacation. Maybe 6 months.

    If your life is worse 6 months later, then go back to Church. If your life is better, try an extended vacation from Mormonism. You may be surprised by what you find.

    I implore you to exercise a particle of faith and do an experiment upon my words.

    Good luck!
    Great advise, I'll take it into consideration.

    Now, I've got a prescription for you:

    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

  7. #37

    Default

    2017 should be great for vacations. I have a trip planned to Europe with stops in the UK, Switzerland, Moscow, and France. I will also be headed to Bermuda in the late spring for a bit. Then to begin the summer we are doing a week at Disney World (I hate the place but taking one for the kids and praying I get to week two) and then a week at the beach on the panhandle.

    Last but not least, and I must say I am disappointed that I am the first to mention BYU football plans, I plan on being in Houston for the LSU game, in Starkville to get Luke Staley's revenge, and one or both of the Utah and Wisconsin games in Utah.

    Like I said, 2017 is looking great! Thanks for the reminder, BM.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    2017 should be great for vacations. I have a trip planned to Europe with stops in the UK, Switzerland, Moscow, and France. I will also be headed to Bermuda in the late spring for a bit. Then to begin the summer we are doing a week at Disney World (I hate the place but taking one for the kids and praying I get to week two) and then a week at the beach on the panhandle.

    Last but not least, and I must say I am disappointed that I am the first to mention BYU football plans, I plan on being in Houston for the LSU game, in Starkville to get Luke Staley's revenge, and one or both of the Utah and Wisconsin games in Utah.

    Like I said, 2017 is looking great! Thanks for the reminder, BM.
    I've got a lengthy school at Fort Lee this summer which ends the day before the LSU game in Houston. I'll be flying through Houston on my way home to catch the game.

  9. #39

    Default

    The family spent the week before Independence Day on a beautiful beach in Baja Mexico. I, on the other hand, having just changed jobs a couple of months before, got to bill extra hours.

  10. #40
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    My mother the professional genealogist (who's maiden name is the same as your sir name) also went to that small town. There are 26 generations of Lebowski's who were born, baptized, and married in that same small perish. Incredible if you stop to think about it - 26 consecutive generations of the same family in the same town.

    It tickles me tho know that we're related.
    Nope. This town was for the Griswold line.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  11. #41
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    46,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Levin View Post
    2016 was too full of vacations, frankly, and the wife would like to reign it in. We went to Paris and Normandy for spring break; Iceland for a four-day getaway; Germany, Czech Republic, and Poland in the summer; a Disney cruise to Alaska; Florida beaches and amusement parks in late summer; Chicago for the Hamilton play and the Chicago Cubs World Series parade; the Berkshires in Massachusetts (to visit the Rockwell museum mostly) and take in the fall foilage; New York City several times for weekend getaways; and of course the annual pilgrimages to Utah . . . I think I should take the opposite of your advice and not go on any vacations for a while. Except for the return trip to Iceland, this time two weeks, we have planned for next summer. Oh yea, and the trip to Barcelona and Madrid to watch Messi and Ronaldo in person with my boys. But other than that, I think we'll ignore your advice. Seems to be a good rule of thumb anyway.
    Holy cow. Thread winner.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I took a vacation from church for a few weeks earlier this year but didn’t enjoy it. Many friends from the ward kept bothering me with nice cards, flowers, treats, words of affirmation, prayers, and lots of care and support. Jerks.

    That vacation having been foiled by the inconsiderate masses, we've begun planning another. In May we’ll spend 2-3 weeks in Ireland and on the Isle of Man (from which my father’s ancestors emigrated). On the IoM we’ll have a private tour with a genealogist who will take us to my ancestral farm, the parish my forebears attended, etc.

    On Ireland, we’ll see all the touristy sights, including a couple of days at Ashford Castle where we’ll participate in a gourmet program and I’ll receive a hands-on lesson in falconry. I’m also looking forward to a breakfast of berries in Dingle, a brief stay at Bantry House and, weather permitting, receiving a lightsaber from Mrs. PAC atop Skellig Michael amid the ruins of a 1500-year-old monastery.

    Should my life get even worse I may re-try BM’s vacation suggestion. Until then, I’m good, but thanks for the rec; always looking for vacation ideas.
    In between geneology tours on the isle of Man, make sure to carve out some time to go on a sightseeing tour of all of the roads in the area ridden by The Manx Missile, even Mark Cavendish. I'm sure there's a shrine or a statue there in his honor. I'm picturing something like Rocky on the top of the Museum of Art steps in Philly.

  13. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I've got a lengthy school at Fort Lee this summer which ends the day before the LSU game in Houston. I'll be flying through Houston on my way home to catch the game.
    TJAGLCS?

    Edit: that might be Charlottesville.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  14. #44
    Board eye candy beefytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lehi
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    We are spending Christmas in Orlando at Disneyworld. Might be a mistake, but I plan to make the best of it.

  15. #45

    Default

    We went to Yellowstone this past summer.

    I think it might be my favorite family vacation to date.
    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

  16. #46
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    Delta had RT tickets to Europe for $420 the other day so I got two for Barcelona. I've never been to Europe so I'm excited to go see a part of it.

  17. #47
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Delta had RT tickets to Europe for $420 the other day so I got two for Barcelona. I've never been to Europe so I'm excited to go see a part of it.
    Whoa, that is crazy cheap. That is about what I pay for tickets from TC to SLC

  18. #48
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    7,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Whoa, that is crazy cheap. That is about what I pay for tickets from TC to SLC
    They are back up to $1300 for the same time period. Not sure why they were so cheap. When I fly out of Idaho Falls for food shows in the midwest or southeast the tickets usually cost around $1000. We were thinking of burning some points and doing Europe this year but these were so cheap I decided to save my points for another time.

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Delta had RT tickets to Europe for $420 the other day so I got two for Barcelona. I've never been to Europe so I'm excited to go see a part of it.
    Not just
    s Barcelona for those cheap tickets either. And not just SLC. Cheap tickets to multiple destinations in Europe from multiple destinations in America

  20. #50
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,983

    Default

    My wife travels a lot with her job. As I started working for myself not too long ago, I have great flexibility for travel. Accordingly, in the last 18 months we have been to El Salvador, Peru (lima, Cuzco and Machu Picchu), UAE, India, Japan, Switzerland (3x, as I have a client there) Germany 2x, London, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, and Canada (Montréal). We have also travelled a fair amount domestically, including Hawaii 2x, Texas, Utah, NYC, Florida, Oklahoma, Seattle, Portland, Yosemite (which is local but is so spectacular that I have to mention it) and LA. This does not include a few work trips for depos (to Iowa, for example). Next year we are going to India, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Dubai, London, Belgium, Florida and Chile.

    We have always liked to travel and it is where we have chosen to spend a lot of our discretionary income over the years. But only my change in employment circumstances has provided the sort of flexibility I needed for this volume of travel. Better late than never. It has been a lot of fun.

    Also, JL I encourage you to go to Egypt before you go to Israel. Meaning, in that sequence. Also, if you want some ideas for Egypt let me know, as we went about 4 years ago and enjoyed it very much. I would suggest you consider Jordan/Petra, too, if you haven't already been.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  21. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    TJAGLCS?

    Edit: that might be Charlottesville.
    It's my warrant officer advanced course, Quartermaster specific since I'm a property book officer.

  22. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    My wife travels a lot with her job. As I started working for myself not too long ago, I have great flexibility for travel. Accordingly, in the last 18 months we have been to El Salvador, Peru (lima, Cuzco and Machu Picchu), UAE, India, Japan, Switzerland (3x, as I have a client there) Germany 2x, London, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, and Canada (Montréal). We have also travelled a fair amount domestically, including Hawaii 2x, Texas, Utah, NYC, Florida, Oklahoma, Seattle, Portland, Yosemite (which is local but is so spectacular that I have to mention it) and LA. This does not include a few work trips for depos (to Iowa, for example). Next year we are going to India, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Dubai, London, Belgium, Florida and Chile.

    We have always liked to travel and it is where we have chosen to spend a lot of our discretionary income over the years. But only my change in employment circumstances has provided the sort of flexibility I needed for this volume of travel. Better late than never. It has been a lot of fun.

    Also, JL I encourage you to go to Egypt before you go to Israel. Meaning, in that sequence. Also, if you want some ideas for Egypt let me know, as we went about 4 years ago and enjoyed it very much. I would suggest you consider Jordan/Petra, too, if you haven't already been.
    Holy crap, Creek! One year for work I spent about three weeks each in Azerbaijan, Morocco, and Germany. I had travel fatigue for the better part of a year after that.

  23. #53

    Default

    I got tickets to Munich and returning from Prague in that sale for $400 from SLC. Very excited

  24. #54
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    14,998

    Default

    I'm going to be in NYC for a couple days/ New Year's Eve and then straight to Peru for the first couple weeks of January. Gonna be sweet- I remember thinking I'd really love to come back last time I was there, so I guess I'll have a good time. After that, Whistler in March and then a cruise with the fam in April. That'll probably hold me down for a while.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  25. #55
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    20,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Holy crap, Creek! One year for work I spent about three weeks each in Azerbaijan, Morocco, and Germany. I had travel fatigue for the better part of a year after that.
    Only two of these trips were more than ten days (Peru was the longest as we were on an Andean trek that took a week and then we bracketed that with sightseeing elsewhere) and most trips were two destinations. Germany and switzerland, or london and belgium/Netherlands, for example. But, yes, sometimes the airport part can get tedious, and I am always happy to get home, but I rarely dislike being somewhere else. I know a lot of people who just dont like to travel very much. My wife and I both like it and go as often as we can. Its why I drive old cars and live in a modest home (or so I like to tell myself) .
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  26. #56
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    While the Lebowski's are in Egypt/Israel, we were thinking of heading up to Burley/Twin Falls and seeing the sights.

    knew I should have followed in my cousin's footsteps and gone into welding!
    Lebowski came up that way and drove home through Rockland.

    They do have grass tennis courts at Kasota Park!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  27. #57
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Vacationing in Utah in late December. I hope the snow is good!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Next week and a half should give it a good base. It is all about the base!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  28. #58
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    27,773

    Default

    This was a great thread idea.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Lebowski came up that way and drove home through Rockland.

    They do have grass tennis courts at Kasota Park!
    Is that the zipline and waterslide right off the freeway? From the many dozens of times I've driven by, I've never once seen anybody there. I didn't know they had any tennis courts, much less grass tennis courts.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  30. #60
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Nope. This town was for the Griswold line.
    You serious Clark?

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •