Take a Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got thailand booked, thinking about ireland
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I took a vacation from church for a few weeks earlier this year but didn’t enjoy it. Many friends from the ward kept bothering me with nice cards, flowers, treats, words of affirmation, prayers, and lots of care and support. Jerks.

That vacation having been foiled by the inconsiderate masses, we've begun planning another. In May we’ll spend 2-3 weeks in Ireland and on the Isle of Man (from which my father’s ancestors emigrated). On the IoM we’ll have a private tour with a genealogist who will take us to my ancestral farm, the parish my forebears attended, etc.

On Ireland, we’ll see all the touristy sights, including a couple of days at Ashford Castle where we’ll participate in a gourmet program and I’ll receive a hands-on lesson in falconry. I’m also looking forward to a breakfast of berries in Dingle, a brief stay at Bantry House and, weather permitting, receiving a lightsaber from Mrs. PAC atop Skellig Michael amid the ruins of a 1500-year-old monastery.

Should my life get even worse I may re-try BM’s vacation suggestion. Until then, I’m good, but thanks for the rec; always looking for vacation ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        I took a vacation from church for a few weeks earlier this year but didn’t enjoy it. Many friends from the ward kept bothering me with nice cards, flowers, treats, words of affirmation, prayers, and lots of care and support. Jerks.

That vacation having been foiled by the inconsiderate masses, we've begun planning another. In May we’ll spend 2-3 weeks in Ireland and on the Isle of Man (from which my father’s ancestors emigrated). On the IoM we’ll have a private tour with a genealogist who will take us to my ancestral farm, the parish my forebears attended, etc.

On Ireland, we’ll see all the touristy sights, including a couple of days at Ashford Castle where we’ll participate in a gourmet program and I’ll receive a hands-on lesson in falconry. I’m also looking forward to a breakfast of berries in Dingle, a brief stay at Bantry House and, weather permitting, receiving a lightsaber from Mrs. PAC atop Skellig Michael amid the ruins of a 1500-year-old monastery.

Should my life get even worse I may re-try BM’s vacation suggestion. Until then, I’m good, but thanks for the rec; always looking for vacation ideas.
        That sounds fantastic. One of our favorite vacation memories was touring some small towns in England where our ancestors lived. In one town we went into the church and the town historian came and gave an incredibly detailed history of our family.

The wife and I are also thinking of doing a walking tour of Cornwall. Looks beautiful.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          That sounds fantastic. One of our favorite vacation memories was touring some small towns in England where our ancestors lived. In one town we went into the church and the town historian came and gave an incredibly detailed history of our family.

The wife and I are also thinking of doing a walking tour of Cornwall. Looks beautiful.
          My family did the same thing when I was about 15 years old. Touring England was one of the most memorable and best vacations I've ever been on. I hope to take my kids there someday.
          When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

PAC, you never do anything half way, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
              I would like to encourage all of you to take a vacation from Mormonism.

Not a long vacation. Maybe 6 months.

If your life is worse 6 months later, then go back to Church. If your life is better, try an extended vacation from Mormonism. You may be surprised by what you find.

I implore you to exercise a particle of faith and do an experiment upon my words.

Good luck!
              When does Byron start to get the vuvuzela treatment? Or to change things up, maybe a single drum would be appropriate.

Comment

If things that I'm working on don't work out, we're planning on Hong Kong in May and probably Tampa in July.
                Not that, sickos.

Comment

Still trying to lock down Norway and London in February. Hope to book the tickets before the weekend is over.

Comment

2017 might be the last year the NWC clan has to do a big trip together. We are still mulling Europe. If that doesn't happen, we will most likely do British Columbia and tack on a trip to Alberta to visit family.

So many places yet to discover in our backyard. We have a list of weekend trips around PNW.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      Still trying to lock down Norway and London in February. Hope to book the tickets before the weekend is over.
                      I don't know if I've mentioned it, but Norwegian Air has some pretty good pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        I don't know if I've mentioned it, but Norwegian Air has some pretty good pricing.
                        Yeah they have some really nice fares right now, especially out of JFK. The London leg of the journey is complicating things a bit. But I want the free ManU tickets that were offered to me and my wife wants to see her friend so we will make London work.

Comment

I went to Utah for 2 days for a vacation this year. My family went for a month.

Comment

I stopped reading this thread at Dingle Berries.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

My mother the professional genealogist (who's maiden name is the same as your sir name) also went to that small town. There are 26 generations of Lebowski's who were born, baptized, and married in that same small perish. Incredible if you stop to think about it - 26 consecutive generations of the same family in the same town.

It tickles me to know that we're related.
                              Last edited by clackamascoug; 11-23-2016, 12:56 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Vacationing in Utah in late December. I hope the snow is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X