Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Take a Vacation

A whole month in Perth?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    The list isn't in order, as it were, but more of how I went around the map.
    Can you at least share which of them you intend for February, which are for 30-day months, and which ones get the 31-day treatment?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    A whole month in Perth?
    Imagine each place as a launching point for other adventures, especially birding.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Imagine each place as a launching point for other adventures, especially birding.
    And is your wife also into birding?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    We'll be heading to Nauvoo the first week of July as part of our summer vacation. Also Palmyra, Kirtland, and Independence.
    My aunt and uncle run the whole Nauvoo pageant. Let me know if you want to stick around an extra week and play Joseph Smith! Several of my cousins use it as an excuse every summer to grow a beard for a few weeks. What a sad life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    My aunt and uncle run the whole Nauvoo pageant. Let me know if you want to stick around an extra week and play Joseph Smith! Several of my cousins use it as an excuse every summer to grow a beard for a few weeks. What a sad life.

Aren't the pageants going away, though? My wife is making us go to the Manti pageant this year since its the last time they're doing it.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

WHat is so sad about that?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    WHat is so sad about that?
    Needing an 'excuse' to grow a beard, chiefly. It goes another level deeper when that excuse involves moving to Nauvoo and having to play in the Nauvoo pageant. Had the premise been 'let's go kick it in Nauvoo this summer, play in the pageant, it'll be good times:' Not sad.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Aren't the pageants going away, though? My wife is making us go to the Manti pageant this year since its the last time they're doing it.
    The Mesa Easter pageant is going full steam ahead as soon as they finish the new temple complex.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Needing an 'excuse' to grow a beard, chiefly. It goes another level deeper when that excuse involves moving to Nauvoo and having to play in the Nauvoo pageant. Had the premise been 'let's go kick it in Nauvoo this summer, play in the pageant, it'll be good times:' Not sad.
    Hmmm. That seems pretty judgy. But whatever.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

The Mesa Easter pageant is going full steam ahead as soon as they finish the new temple complex.
    I thought I heard this was the last year for it, though. Did I mis-hear?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I thought I heard this was the last year for it, though. Did I mis-hear?
    They in fact didn't do it this year because the whole 4-block area is going to be a big construction project for a few years. It'll be back on whenever they finish everything up.

I am with creekster. This is a condescending take.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I am with creekster. This is a condescending take.
    What's so condescending about it? I'm saying be upfront about your beard and upfront about your intentions to do the pageant and none of it is sad.

If you're saying I'm talking down to people who actually need a summer-altering excuse to have a beard, you're probably right. Not only that, I think I'm actually giving Dwight's cousins more of the benefit of the doubt than he is.

AH, yes, someone doesnt want to live their life exactly as I thik they should means they are worthy of speaking down to.
    I'm sure you never talk down to people who do dumb or irrational things. If Dwight's cousins are attending BYU and they actually DO literally need an excuse to have a beard, then I'll retract my earlier condescension.

I'm sure you never talk down to people who do dumb or irrational things. If Dwight's cousins are attending BYU and they actually DO literally need an excuse to have a beard, then I'll retract my earlier condescension.
    Maybe. But I think Dwight was more kidding. You're being very judgmental. I dont grow a beard, even though I hate to shave, because my wife hates beards (or at least my beard). I'd be happy to have an excuse to grow one. So put on your best Trump voice and tell me how sad I am. Except I am not. It's just how I am living my life and I am fine with it.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Maybe. But I think Dwight was more kidding. You're being very judgmental. I dont grow a beard, even though I hate to shave, because my wife hates beards (or at least my beard). I'd be happy to have an excuse to grow one. So put on your best Trump voice and tell me how sad I am. Except I am not. It's just how I am living my life and I am fine with it.
    OMG this is me joking around. I'm clearly playing with you. Calm TF down. I don't give three shits about any of your beards!

OMG this is me joking around. I'm clearly playing with you. Calm TF down. I don't give three shits about any of your beards!
    Sure. Your comic bent was very evident. Good one.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Sure. Your comic bent was very evident. Good one.
    Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.
    I just really want a beard.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

I noticed that on the calendar the week after we'll be there, but my work schedule dictated our vacation timeframe. Otherwise I might have got a chance to see your bearded cousins perform.

I just really want a beard.
    I think I'd look 10 years older with a beard. I've gone a couple of weeks without shaving, and I doubt I could get past that itchy phase of growing a beard without shaving it off.

If anyone has any single kids in the 18-28 range kicking around with nothing to do from July 11-14, this singles conference in Hawaii looks fun. Screamingly cheap, even for board if you want to stay in the dorms at BYU Hawaii. Typical stuff, except there is a genuine paniolo rodeo in Waimanalo, something I've never been to.

https://www.hi2019ldssinglesconf.com/

Bali.

It wasn't on our radar until a trip came up at a charity auction we go to. It was either Tuscany or Bali. Italy would have been the safe choice and undoubtedly great, but we rolled the dice on Bali. Glad we did.

We stayed at a resort in Amed, on the northeastern coast. It's an area of small fishing villages that has become a dive destination. The snorkeling there is spectacular. We were there for seven days, and we snorkeled 3 of them. The water is warmer than any ocean I've been to. Food was all local and fresh. I ate fish most days. Never had barracuda before, and it is great.

We took a couple of day trips around the eastern part of the island, which became a highlight. So many Hindu temples dot the roadside. Everything is built in concrete, which means that everything there is in some state of (dis)repair. Every couple of miles there was a pile of gravel on the side of the road (sometimes in the lane) for workers to make concrete. It is fascinating to see the humanity that strings along the roads, and to contemplate that it's probably been that way for centuries. Which means most of the roads there are narrow, which means that the primary form of transportation is scooters. So.Many.Scooters. And kids piled in them. Our personal record was 5 (three kids, two adults). We only saw that once, but 4 was relatively common. More often than not, fathers were driving their children around. And when you see how gorgeous Balinese children you, you start to think that it would be impossible for them to not be good and loving parents, all of them. At least that's what I choose to believe.

Spent a day around Ubud, a cultural center of Bali. And a tourist trap. Woodworking and silversmithing is their thing, and they do it very well. We brought home an intricate Rama and Sita carving, and I refuse to check online to see if I overpaid. The monkey forest is not to be missed. About a thousand macaques wander freely in a sanctuary, and for the most part ignore the admixed humans. So much biology to watch and ponder. I would do that again.

Did half of the thousand steps of the Lempuyang temple complex, only because one of our resort guides recommended us just hiking to four of seven of them. Well, that and our knees told us that. But that is recommended also. The iconic 'gates of heaven' are at the first temple, and I can't imagine waking up at 5 to get there early enough to beat the throngs of people to get your picture there, and just heading back after that. The throng of tourists thinned out after that, and other than a few Hindu pilgrims, we had the jungle pretty much to ourselves.

Countryside is beautiful. White to black sand beaches on the ocean, and rice paddies and mountain vistas higher up. One thing that we really didn't understand before going is that it's a developing country. Trash disposal doesn't seem to be a priority in many places. But there's enough lush green spaces to make up for those areas.

The real test is would I go again? I would, just to see the other half of the island that we missed. I would try to make it more than seven days there. Travel time is a generous 24 hours, and that's me on the west coast. Food is great and cheap. If you need to go to a country where the socioeconomics is eye-opening and makes you feel guilty for what you have, Bali has enough beautiful people and scenery to make up for that!

Wow. Sounds like a great adventure.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Sounds really cool.

Nice. Added to my growing list of things to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Nice. Added to my growing list of things to see.
    Count me as extremely jealous. Sounds amazing.

Alaska coming up in May, my first time.
    Only there 5 days and 1.5 days will be taken by committee meetings in Anchorage.

What do I need to see and/or eat in the limited available time?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Alaska coming up in May, my first time.
    Only there 5 days and 1.5 days will be taken by committee meetings in Anchorage.

What do I need to see and/or eat in the limited available time?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Don't we have other travel threads?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.