Take a Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
    Looks awesome, Wuap. My family and I were in Croatia for three months last year () and we spent a week each in Bosnia and Montenegro. You are probably doing a side trip to Mostar, Bosnia and Kotor, Montenegro. My advice: skip the Mostar trip and spend more time in Montenegro. Kotor is the most stunning place I've ever seen; the old town is amazing (but touristy), but there are dozens of other towns on the bay that have a nice place to eat seafood and spend the day. Mostar, on the other hand, has a famous bridge and that is pretty much it; and that bridge is a replacement of the original bridge which was destroyed in the Croat-Serb-Bosniak cluster F of a few decades ago.

TL;DR: more croatia/montenegro, less mostar.

Also, too much UK time for my taste, but to each their own.
    Good to know, and thanks for the recommendation. Now, the UK is dope and I love it. I could spend 2-3 just in the British Museum. But, I'm a bird watcher, don't forget, so I could spend a lifetime just go around birding in this marsh, that forest, aquel moor. But, mostly, we're meeting a former student there, I've got about 10 people I know who live in London, and they all want to see me/us, so, there's some service time in there too.

Originally posted by happyone View Post
    I personally would vote for England. When I retire I want to spend a couple of months just wandering around the place - so much history . Of course I want to do the same thing for the rest of Europe also. I really want to go back and see where I went to High School (It's no longer there) and lived in Germany (Bamberg, Ansbach, Herzogenaurch - the home of Adidas).
    When I retire, Mickelle and I are going to spend a month each in the following cities:

1. Florianapolis, Brazil
    2. Viña del Mar, Chile
    3. Cuenca, Ecuador
    4. Bogotá, Colombia
    5. Mérida, México
    6. Bermuda
    7. Halifax, NS, Canada
    8. Stanhope, PEI, Canada
    9. Bergen, Norway
    10. Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
    11. Gijón, Spain
    12. O Porto, Portugal
    13. Granada, Spain
    14. Marrakech, Morocco
    15. Libreville, Gabon
    16. Windhoek, Namibia
    17. Doha, Qatar
    18. Tel Aviv, Israel
    19. Singapore
    20. Thimphu, Bhutan
    21. Sapporo, Japan
    22. Busan, South Korea
    23. Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
    24. Kerikeri, NZ
    25. Perth, Australia
    26. Cairns, Australia
    27. Pago Pago, American Samoa
    28. Hilo, Hawaii
    29. Nanaimo, BC, Canada
    30. Santa Fe, New Mexico
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      With all those languages I can't imagine why anyone would be concerned travelling with you. I have been to a fair few places and always managed to get through with English, mission French and some cultural humility and patience.
      Once, at a St. Hubert's restaurant near St. Louis du Ha! Ha!, Quebec, I couldn't understand the waitress and she didn't speak English. I was struggling to think of some words to tell her we didn't want a booth, in French, and she was impatient and huffed and went and got someone who spoke English. Because of that one time, my wife frets if we go somewhere they don't speak Spanish or Portuguese.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Good to know, and thanks for the recommendation. Now, the UK is dope and I love it. I could spend 2-3 just in the British Museum. But, I'm a bird watcher, don't forget, so I could spend a lifetime just go around birding in this marsh, that forest, aquel moor. But, mostly, we're meeting a former student there, I've got about 10 people I know who live in London, and they all want to see me/us, so, there's some service time in there too.

When I retire, Mickelle and I are going to spend a month each in the following cities:

1. Florianapolis, Brazil
        2. Viña del Mar, Chile
        3. Cuenca, Ecuador
        4. Bogotá, Colombia
        5. Mérida, México
        6. Bermuda
        7. Halifax, NS, Canada
        8. Stanhope, PEI, Canada
        9. Bergen, Norway
        11. Gijón, Spain
        12. O Porto, Portugal
        13. Granada, Spain
        14. Marrakech, Morocco
        15. Libreville, Gabon
        16. Windhoek, Namibia
        17. Doha, Qatar
        18. Tel Aviv, Israel
        19. Singapore
        20. Thimphu, Bhutan
        21. Sapporo, Japan
        22. Busan, South Korea
        24. Kerikeri, NZ
        25. Perth, Australia
        26. Cairns, Australia
        28. Hilo, Hawaii
        29. Nanaimo, BC, Canada
        30. Santa Fe, New Mexico
        PEI and Nova Scotia are pretty close. What are your plans that they would require separate months?

For the record, I've been to 2 places on your list. Busan and Nanaimo. They are great places.

I really should have made it out to Halifax when my brother lived there and my parents were on a mission there. My brother is now in the process of moving to Qatar, and I don't know that I will regret not visiting him there.

Comment

Once, at a St. Hubert's restaurant near St. Louis du Ha! Ha!, Quebec, I couldn't understand the waitress and she didn't speak English. I was struggling to think of some words to tell her we didn't want a booth, in French, and she was impatient and huffed and went and got someone who spoke English. Because of that one time, my wife frets if we go somewhere they don't speak Spanish or Portuguese.
          You might have forgotten the cardinal rule when speaking English in non-Montreal Quebec: "Je suis Americain"! That usually softens the pure laine francophones up a bit
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

24. Kerikeri, NZ
            Having spent a fair amount of time in numerous spots in NZ, including Kerikeri, I am curious why this particular NZ spot is on your list?
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Interesting list.

I would also like to do long visits like that in retirement. Sounds really fun.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• We've been musing about long vacations after retirement also. We were planning on this when we got our latest puppy, reasoning she would be gone before we retire and free us up for long trips. We'll see if our resolve lasts.

For now, I'd like to do England, Hawaii, and B.C. as long trips to start.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

• I'd love to do 2 months in a location, but Mrs. Diddley gets homesick after 2 weeks.

Comment

1. Florianapolis, Brazil
                    2. Viña del Mar, Chile
                    3. Cuenca, Ecuador
                    4. Bogotá, Colombia
                    5. Mérida, México
                    6. Bermuda
                    7. Halifax, NS, Canada
                    8. Stanhope, PEI, Canada
                    9. Bergen, Norway
                    11. Gijón, Spain
                    12. O Porto, Portugal
                    13. Granada, Spain
                    14. Marrakech, Morocco
                    15. Libreville, Gabon
                    16. Windhoek, Namibia
                    17. Doha, Qatar
                    18. Tel Aviv, Israel
                    19. Singapore
                    20. Thimphu, Bhutan
                    21. Sapporo, Japan
                    22. Busan, South Korea
                    24. Kerikeri, NZ
                    25. Perth, Australia
                    26. Cairns, Australia
                    28. Hilo, Hawaii
                    29. Nanaimo, BC, Canada
                    30. Santa Fe, New Mexico
                    I would move Nanaimo up on the list, and also move location about 40 km north to Parksville. Much smaller and nicer. Easy access to the route to the west coast and northern island communities.

Fun fact, when I was in Parksville in the early 90’s on my culturally encouraged volunteer service opportunity, nearly 10% of the Parksville/Qualicum population were Jehovahs Witnesses. It made knocking on doors in that area an interesting, but an even-less-than-normal unfruitful activity.
                    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 05-01-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                      I would move Nanaimo up on the list, and also move location about 40 km north to Parksville. Much smaller and nicer. Easy access to the route to the west coast and northern island communities.

Fun fact, when I was in Parksville in the early 90’s on my culturally encouraged volunteer service opportunity, newly 10% of the Parksville/Qualicum population were Jehovahs Witnesses. It made knocking on doors in that area an interesting but even-less-than-normal unfruitful activity.
                      I met Detlef Schrempf on the sea plane dock in Nanaimo
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                        PEI and Nova Scotia are pretty close. What are your plans that they would require separate months?

For the record, I've been to 2 places on your list. Busan and Nanaimo. They are great places.

I really should have made it out to Halifax when my brother lived there and my parents were on a mission there. My brother is now in the process of moving to Qatar, and I don't know that I will regret not visiting him there.
                        I love Canada. PEI is the most gorgeous place in North America that I've been. And, Halifax, well, birds.

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        You might have forgotten the cardinal rule when speaking English in non-Montreal Quebec: "Je suis Americain"! That usually softens the pure laine francophones up a bit
                        I tried that, if I remember correctly. I think I may have misprounounced putain.

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Having spent a fair amount of time in numerous spots in NZ, including Kerikeri, I am curious why this particular NZ spot is on your list?
                        Birds. The variety of habitat in that area allows for viewing shorebirds, passerines, and other native birds that you can't see as easily, all in once place, as there.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Interesting list.

I would also like to do long visits like that in retirement. Sounds really fun.
                        Yeah. I expect it'll cost about 10% of our net worth. After that, we can buy and RV and go places in North America if we want to, slowly sliding into old age.

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        We've been musing about long vacations after retirement also. We were planning on this when we got our latest puppy, reasoning she would be gone before we retire and free us up for long trips. We'll see if our resolve lasts.

For now, I'd like to do England, Hawaii, and B.C. as long trips to start.
                        Hawaii is an amazing place. I didn't care for Honolulu, and it was 30 years ago that I was there. But, the big island was really neat, and the parts of Oahu we went where there weren't as many people seemed interesting. Plus, I hear they have birds there, so, I'm in.

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Fun fact, when I was in Parksville in the early 90’s on my culturally encouraged volunteer service opportunity, nearly 10% of the Parksville/Qualicum population were Jehovahs Witnesses. It made knocking on doors in that area an interesting, but an even-less-than-normal unfruitful activity.
                        The list isn't in order, as it were, but more of how I went around the map. I have been to Parksville, but we didn't spend much time there. My grandpa wanted to go back to this restaurant he had eaten at in the 60's (the day we landed on the moon, actually). It wasn't there anymore.

Originally posted by hostile View Post
                        I met Detlef Schrempf on the sea plane dock in Nanaimo
                        Was he there with Entertainment 720?

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          I did an internship for several weeks in Hamilton and several in New Plymouth-- wow I wish I had a trust fund or some kind of skill that was marketable outside the U.S.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I love Canada. PEI is the most gorgeous place in North America that I've been.
                            And the potatoes are the best!
                            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HtySGSuKZe8

Was he there with Entertainment 720?
                            No. Just heading out for some fishing
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

1. Florianapolis, Brazil
                              2. Viña del Mar, Chile
                              3. Cuenca, Ecuador
                              4. Bogotá, Colombia
                              5. Mérida, México
                              6. Bermuda
                              7. Halifax, NS, Canada
                              8. Stanhope, PEI, Canada
                              9. Bergen, Norway
                              11. Gijón, Spain
                              12. O Porto, Portugal
                              13. Granada, Spain
                              14. Marrakech, Morocco
                              15. Libreville, Gabon
                              16. Windhoek, Namibia
                              17. Doha, Qatar
                              18. Tel Aviv, Israel
                              19. Singapore
                              20. Thimphu, Bhutan
                              21. Sapporo, Japan
                              22. Busan, South Korea
                              24. Kerikeri, NZ
                              25. Perth, Australia
                              26. Cairns, Australia
                              28. Hilo, Hawaii
                              29. Nanaimo, BC, Canada
                              30. Santa Fe, New Mexico
                              I don't see Portland on your list. Portland is #1 when it comes to being #1 on lists.

usurp this ,|,

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                                I don't see Portland on your list. Portland is #1 when it comes to being #1 on lists.

usurp this ,|,
                                I've been to Portland. It's like Seattle without anything cool to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X