Take a Vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
    I'm sure you never talk down to people who do dumb or irrational things. If Dwight's cousins are attending BYU and they actually DO literally need an excuse to have a beard, then I'll retract my earlier condescension.
    Maybe. But I think Dwight was more kidding. You're being very judgmental. I dont grow a beard, even though I hate to shave, because my wife hates beards (or at least my beard). I'd be happy to have an excuse to grow one. So put on your best Trump voice and tell me how sad I am. Except I am not. It's just how I am living my life and I am fine with it.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Maybe. But I think Dwight was more kidding. You're being very judgmental. I dont grow a beard, even though I hate to shave, because my wife hates beards (or at least my beard). I'd be happy to have an excuse to grow one. So put on your best Trump voice and tell me how sad I am. Except I am not. It's just how I am living my life and I am fine with it.
      OMG this is me joking around. I'm clearly playing with you. Calm TF down. I don't give three shits about any of your beards!
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

OMG this is me joking around. I'm clearly playing with you. Calm TF down. I don't give three shits about any of your beards!
        Sure. Your comic bent was very evident. Good one.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Sure. Your comic bent was very evident. Good one.
          Sorry I hurt your feelings.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Sorry I hurt your feelings.
            I just really want a beard.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
              My aunt and uncle run the whole Nauvoo pageant. Let me know if you want to stick around an extra week and play Joseph Smith! Several of my cousins use it as an excuse every summer to grow a beard for a few weeks. What a sad life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I noticed that on the calendar the week after we'll be there, but my work schedule dictated our vacation timeframe. Otherwise I might have got a chance to see your bearded cousins perform.

Comment

I just really want a beard.
                I think I'd look 10 years older with a beard. I've gone a couple of weeks without shaving, and I doubt I could get past that itchy phase of growing a beard without shaving it off.

Comment

• If anyone has any single kids in the 18-28 range kicking around with nothing to do from July 11-14, this singles conference in Hawaii looks fun. Screamingly cheap, even for board if you want to stay in the dorms at BYU Hawaii. Typical stuff, except there is a genuine paniolo rodeo in Waimanalo, something I've never been to.

https://www.hi2019ldssinglesconf.com/

Comment

• Bali.

It wasn't on our radar until a trip came up at a charity auction we go to. It was either Tuscany or Bali. Italy would have been the safe choice and undoubtedly great, but we rolled the dice on Bali. Glad we did.

We stayed at a resort in Amed, on the northeastern coast. It's an area of small fishing villages that has become a dive destination. The snorkeling there is spectacular. We were there for seven days, and we snorkeled 3 of them. The water is warmer than any ocean I've been to. Food was all local and fresh. I ate fish most days. Never had barracuda before, and it is great.

We took a couple of day trips around the eastern part of the island, which became a highlight. So many Hindu temples dot the roadside. Everything is built in concrete, which means that everything there is in some state of (dis)repair. Every couple of miles there was a pile of gravel on the side of the road (sometimes in the lane) for workers to make concrete. It is fascinating to see the humanity that strings along the roads, and to contemplate that it's probably been that way for centuries. Which means most of the roads there are narrow, which means that the primary form of transportation is scooters. So.Many.Scooters. And kids piled in them. Our personal record was 5 (three kids, two adults). We only saw that once, but 4 was relatively common. More often than not, fathers were driving their children around. And when you see how gorgeous Balinese children you, you start to think that it would be impossible for them to not be good and loving parents, all of them. At least that's what I choose to believe.

Spent a day around Ubud, a cultural center of Bali. And a tourist trap. Woodworking and silversmithing is their thing, and they do it very well. We brought home an intricate Rama and Sita carving, and I refuse to check online to see if I overpaid. The monkey forest is not to be missed. About a thousand macaques wander freely in a sanctuary, and for the most part ignore the admixed humans. So much biology to watch and ponder. I would do that again.

Did half of the thousand steps of the Lempuyang temple complex, only because one of our resort guides recommended us just hiking to four of seven of them. Well, that and our knees told us that. But that is recommended also. The iconic 'gates of heaven' are at the first temple, and I can't imagine waking up at 5 to get there early enough to beat the throngs of people to get your picture there, and just heading back after that. The throng of tourists thinned out after that, and other than a few Hindu pilgrims, we had the jungle pretty much to ourselves.

Countryside is beautiful. White to black sand beaches on the ocean, and rice paddies and mountain vistas higher up. One thing that we really didn't understand before going is that it's a developing country. Trash disposal doesn't seem to be a priority in many places. But there's enough lush green spaces to make up for those areas.

The real test is would I go again? I would, just to see the other half of the island that we missed. I would try to make it more than seven days there. Travel time is a generous 24 hours, and that's me on the west coast. Food is great and cheap. If you need to go to a country where the socioeconomics is eye-opening and makes you feel guilty for what you have, Bali has enough beautiful people and scenery to make up for that!
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Wow. Sounds like a great adventure.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Sounds really cool.

Comment

• Nice. Added to my growing list of things to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Nice. Added to my growing list of things to see.
                            Count me as extremely jealous. Sounds amazing.

Comment

• Alaska coming up in May, my first time.
                              Only there 5 days and 1.5 days will be taken by committee meetings in Anchorage.

What do I need to see and/or eat in the limited available time?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                                Alaska coming up in May, my first time.
                                Only there 5 days and 1.5 days will be taken by committee meetings in Anchorage.

What do I need to see and/or eat in the limited available time?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                                Don't we have other travel threads?
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X