Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Don't we have other travel threads?
    I'm sure we do. As for me and my vacationing house, we will follow Byron.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      Alaska coming up in May, my first time.
      Only there 5 days and 1.5 days will be taken by committee meetings in Anchorage.

What do I need to see and/or eat in the limited available time?

You can do one-day glacier cruises out of Anchorage. Those are fun. I saw several orcas, sea otters, etc. And we got up close to several glaciers that were actively calving.

You should be able to charter some halibut fishing. May is early for most salmon runs, but kings will be running in May/June.

You should check into hiking options.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Alaska coming up in May, my first time.
        Only there 5 days and 1.5 days will be taken by committee meetings in Anchorage.

What do I need to see and/or eat in the limited available time?

I don't recall any eateries that grabbed my attention in Anchorage, but we were only there about 4-5 times a year for quick temple trips. I would head down the Seward towards Alyeska and look out over the Turnagain Arm to see if you can see some whales. coming in. You should have a pretty good supply of light by then. Once meetings are over I would head north to Denali and maybe stop into Fairbanks. You should be there right after breakup so the park may be open, but even if it isn't seeing Denali from Healy alone is an awesome experience. If you stop in Healy, go to Rose's cafe. I still have very pleasant memories of the burgers there. Nenana is a quaint town about an hour north of Healy that has a lot of native touristy stuff. You will probably miss break up where they have a pool each year to see when a tripod they set up on the ice on the river gives way. I never got to see it go and wasn't ever close in my guesses. Fairbanks is a great visit but having lived there for 3 years, I am not sure what kind of touristy things to do there would be other than maybe the UAF museum. I would just enjoy driving around and the scenery. But I am easy to please.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Thanks for the recommendations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            You can do one-day glacier cruises out of Anchorage. Those are fun. I saw several orcas, sea otters, etc. And we got up close to several glaciers that were actively calving.

You should be able to charter some halibut fishing. May is early for most salmon runs, but kings will be running in May/June.

You should check into hiking options.
            If I had to choose between a glacier cruise and an Alaska Railroad ride to Denali or Fairbanks, which should I choose?

If we do Alaska RR I'll probably spring for the Gold Star tix with the dome cars and restaurant below.

Comment

If I had to choose between a glacier cruise and an Alaska Railroad ride to Denali or Fairbanks, which should I choose?

If we do Alaska RR I'll probably spring for the Gold Star tix with the dome cars and restaurant below.
              Those both sound fun.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Those both sound fun.
                This reminds me of any time I ask a server to help me decide between two meal choices.

Comment

• Take the glacier cruise.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Railroad- easy. You can do a glacier cruise any old time and easier to get others on board. Jump at the chance to do the railroad.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      Railroad- easy. You can do a glacier cruise any old time and easier to get others on board. Jump at the chance to do the railroad.
                      Great. Before no one would recommend anything. Now he's getting conflicting recommendations. How is he ever going to choose?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        Great. Before no one would recommend anything. Now he's getting conflicting recommendations. How is he ever going to choose?
                        Haha. I'm just saying what I would pick if I was in his shoes. Shoot- my mother's been on an Alaskan cruise. I don't know anybody who's done a railroad trip. Sounds fantastic.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          Haha. I'm just saying what I would pick if I was in his shoes. Shoot- my mother's been on an Alaskan cruise. I don't know anybody who's done a railroad trip. Sounds fantastic.
                          I suggested the cruise because I figured Omaha would want to vacation away from trains. When you drive them every day, it's not that cool for a vacation.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I suggested the cruise because I figured Omaha would want to vacation away from trains. When you drive them every day, it's not that cool for a vacation.
                            When I was working in Max, there was a female janitor who was divorced trying to start something up with one of us. One day as we were coming into work, she had to tell us about her new boyfriend. She was just beaming as she told us, "He's an engineer." My sarge laughed as he told me later he was a train engineer.

Yes, I know I've told that story before, but I'm comfortable with the old man I'm becoming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              When I was working in Max, there was a female janitor who was divorced trying to start something up with one of us. One day as we were coming into work, she had to tell us about her new boyfriend. She was just beaming as she told us, "He's an engineer." My sarge laughed as he told me later he was a train engineer.

Yes, I know I've told that story before, but I'm comfortable with the old man I'm becoming.
                              Chicks dig engineers!

Comment

lol I didn't know that. I guess it's up to him, then...

Comment

Working...
                                X