Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    I love this thread.
    I do too, mostly because of how it started and what it has become. I chuckle every time I see it updated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
      I do too, mostly because of how it started and what it has become. I chuckle every time I see it updated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Wow! Sounds like a fabulous trip.

For my first driving experience in England I landed in London, rented a car, and drove to Wallingford. It was a stick so between shifting with my left hand, steering on the wrong side of the road, and navigating with a map (pre-GPS era), it was intense! Also, it was night-time.

Took our kids there a few years ago and drove all over and had a blast.
        Sounds like a great trip NWC

When we went to England to visit my brother 10 yrs ago (it can't have been that long ), I just about killed my self and everyone else in the car entering a round-about and looking the wrong way. I didn't drive again on the trip

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          The NWC Family European trip, thought dead in 2017, was just completed in the UK. After two weeks of walking in England, Wales, and Scotland, we are exhausted. But it was a great trip.

Highlights:

Oxford area. A walking tour of Oxford, Stonehenge, and Bath. I loved Oxford. A vibrant area with a bunch of bike riders. I initially didn't want to do Stonehenge, but you gotta do it. It was interesting and worth it. Go in the morning for less tourists. And to really beat the crowds, go the day before summer equinox . We just spent half a day in Bath and did the Roman bath tour. Very interesting and a neat town, but I probably wouldn't go again.

The Cotswolds. Probably my favorite. We stayed in Stow for 3 days. Loved the common architecture throughout the towns. We did a small hike to the Slaughters and Burton-on-the-Water, which led through some gorgeous scenery.

Wales. Just a half day there, and I would have liked more. We went to the Llangwm and Usk area, mainly to see some sites from Mrs. NWC's clan. We were able to see the farmhouse that her family used to live in, as well as the medieval chapel they used to worship at. That was pretty cool. And the Usk Castle is free, not busy, and has lovely scenery.

Edinburgh. 4 days here. Edinburgh Castle is great. Make time for the Scottish War Museum there. The hike up to Arthur's seat is highly recommended. It was about this time that we were losing a little steam walking around historical sites. We had initially decided against a highlands bus tour so we could go to Hollyrood Castle, but the kids really didn't have much appetite for another castle so we pivoted and did the bus. It's a long 12 hour tour, but it was a good option for us to see the highlands. I think there's enough up there for a multi-day trip, so we may be coming back.

London for 4 days. If we were to plan again, I think we might have started at London. We were pretty tired by then and there's just so many things to do there. Our early morning wake-ups to see 2 sites a day plan quickly delved to late mornings and one site a day. Still, we saw the Tower of London, the British Historical Museum, and Westminster Abbey. All of these are highly recommended. I thought the Abbey was better than most of the big hitters in Italy. On our last night, 2 males were outvoted by 4 females, and we saw Wicked. It was actually a nice production. Would have loved to see so much more in London. The hop on hop off tour is recommended to get your bearings around town. Grateful we didn't drive in London.

I'm so glad all of us went. The older kids got an appreciation for the history of it all. Even surly baby daughter enjoyed the sites. If this was the last hurrah for NWC family big vacations, we couldn't have done much better. I'm expecting Mrs. NWC and I will go back alone.

A few general things:

We Air bnb'd the whole trip. Had we not done so, we would have been renting 2 hotel rooms every night. Most owners are super helpful and courteous. It really is the best way to do family trips.

Driving is nerve-racking there. We drove the first week of the trip, and it was only at the end where I felt somewhat comfortable. It's just really hard to do the opposite of what has been reflex for decades. If you drive there, make sure you have a patient navigator who is watching the roads as closely as you are. I was surprised at how many times I forgot to check the correct lane when turning. Don't bother with renting 'sat-navs'. Google or Apple maps work better than Garmin.

For Flystripper and MP, cask ales are interesting to try, but flatter and warmer than regular tap beers. Try a couple at different places. Regular ales are good. I even had some decent local IPAs there.
          My wife and I met at the Derby Chapel in '93 at some Zone Meeting. We went back in '98 after I was deployed to Bosnia. We finally made it back this summer and took the kids. It was a blast. We spent two days in London. London is great but not really England - just an international elite area. We then spent about a week in Matlock on the outskirts of the Derbyshire Dales/Peak District National Park. We loved it and the kids got a legit English experience as we rented a cottage that was less comfortable than any flat either of us lived in as Missionaries there 25 years ago. We did a bunch of castles and whatnot. We finished by driving up to Edinburgh. Old Town was great and I love the Scots. It is the origins of US Redneck culture and I have some ancestors from the various Clans. We didn't get to the Highlands but I think the wife and I are going to head back to Scotland for a week either next year or the year after for some time in Edinburgh and a few days in the Highlands as well.

I don't recall struggling to drive there as a missionary, but it was a bit more nerve wracking this past go around. Vehicle was much bigger to accommodate the 6 of us but the roads situation is much better than it was 25 years ago as well. We did a lot of driving, I think the tank on our rental went for 500 miles and I filled it up twice so we must have gone close to 1800 miles when I finally turned it in at the Edinburgh airport, and it was often stressful. Regardless, we do love that country. We have yet to run out of Cadbury chocolate and we have been home since 10 June!
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Am I the only CSer that didn’t take his family to England this year?
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Am I the only CSer that didn’t take his family to England this year?
              No.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Am I the only CSer that didn’t take his family to England this year?
                Since a dictatorship is imminent I recommend you head to the other side of the pond soon! BEAT SWEDEN, MATE!
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  My wife and I met at the Derby Chapel in '93 at some Zone Meeting. We went back in '98 after I was deployed to Bosnia. We finally made it back this summer and took the kids. It was a blast. We spent two days in London. London is great but not really England - just an international elite area. We then spent about a week in Matlock on the outskirts of the Derbyshire Dales/Peak District National Park. We loved it and the kids got a legit English experience as we rented a cottage that was less comfortable than any flat either of us lived in as Missionaries there 25 years ago. We did a bunch of castles and whatnot. We finished by driving up to Edinburgh. Old Town was great and I love the Scots. It is the origins of US Redneck culture and I have some ancestors from the various Clans. We didn't get to the Highlands but I think the wife and I are going to head back to Scotland for a week either next year or the year after for some time in Edinburgh and a few days in the Highlands as well.

I don't recall struggling to drive there as a missionary, but it was a bit more nerve wracking this past go around. Vehicle was much bigger to accommodate the 6 of us but the roads situation is much better than it was 25 years ago as well. We did a lot of driving, I think the tank on our rental went for 500 miles and I filled it up twice so we must have gone close to 1800 miles when I finally turned it in at the Edinburgh airport, and it was often stressful. Regardless, we do love that country. We have yet to run out of Cadbury chocolate and we have been home since 10 June!
                  LOL at the Cadbury situation at your house. Mrs. NWC is a Commonwealth citizen, and based on the quantity of Cadbury she buys I assume it's a law to get a certain quantity each year. In the UK, she bought some type of Cadbury every day...

Glad you had a great family vacation. I'm sure we will be back, sans kids, as well.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• The misses did not like the driving. She thought I was wreckless, but sometimes you just need to be aggressive. It didn't help that as a missionary I was taught to drive aggressively over there. Old habits I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                      We finished by driving up to Edinburgh. Old Town was great and I love the Scots. It is the origins of US Redneck culture...
                      How so?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        The misses did not like the driving. She thought I was wreckless, but sometimes you just need to be aggressive. It didn't help that as a missionary I was taught to drive aggressively over there. Old habits I suppose.
                        I've driven thousands of miles in the British Isles and thus far I've been wreckless.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I've driven thousands of miles in the British Isles and thus far I've been wreckless.

Comment

• I'm taking the missus to NYC in September the week of 9/11. Bad time to go? This is my first time outside of the airports in the Big Apple. Suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              I'm taking the missus to NYC in September the week of 9/11. Bad time to go? This is my first time outside of the airports in the Big Apple. Suggestions?
                              It will still be crowded, but nothing like when school is out. And it will be hot, but hopefully not as sweaty and disgusting as July and August when the city smells like urine and garbage. All in all not the best time but it could be a lot worse. You'll see the 9/11 tribute in lights which is pretty cool. I would go downtown for it every year I could.

How long will you be there and what kind of trip do you want? Are you theater people? History? Museums? Architecture? Foodies? All of the above?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                                It will still be crowded, but nothing like when school is out. And it will be hot, but hopefully not as sweaty and disgusting as July and August when the city smells like urine and garbage. All in all not the best time but it could be a lot worse. You'll see the 9/11 tribute in lights which is pretty cool. I would go downtown for it every year I could.

How long will you be there and what kind of trip do you want? Are you theater people? History? Museums? Architecture? Foodies? All of the above?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                                It's a short trip, and we don't like to cram, so probably just looking for the highlights. We're taking the red-eye from SLC to JFK Monday night, so we'll be there first thing Tuesday morning, and then fly back home on Friday. On this trip, I probably want to see architecture, history and food, with maybe one trip to a museum (maybe). With that said, should I book my room in lower Manhattan near the 9/11 Memorial, or in Midtown near Times Square or Central Park?

Also, I'd be interested in developing a plan for September 11 to take advantage of how it's commemorated there, both in the morning and in the evening. I was thinking a water tour at night to take in the lights would be great.

Edit: I might change to an early Saturday flight return. I didn't want to interfere with the USC @ BYU football game, but more than likely that's an evening game, right?
                                Last edited by Bo Diddley; 03-30-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X