Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Take a Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Don't we have other travel threads?
    I'm sure we do. As for me and my vacationing house, we will follow Byron.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Alaska coming up in May, my first time.
    Only there 5 days and 1.5 days will be taken by committee meetings in Anchorage.

What do I need to see and/or eat in the limited available time?

You can do one-day glacier cruises out of Anchorage. Those are fun. I saw several orcas, sea otters, etc. And we got up close to several glaciers that were actively calving.

You should be able to charter some halibut fishing. May is early for most salmon runs, but kings will be running in May/June.

You should check into hiking options.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Alaska coming up in May, my first time.
    Only there 5 days and 1.5 days will be taken by committee meetings in Anchorage.

What do I need to see and/or eat in the limited available time?

I don't recall any eateries that grabbed my attention in Anchorage, but we were only there about 4-5 times a year for quick temple trips. I would head down the Seward towards Alyeska and look out over the Turnagain Arm to see if you can see some whales. coming in. You should have a pretty good supply of light by then. Once meetings are over I would head north to Denali and maybe stop into Fairbanks. You should be there right after breakup so the park may be open, but even if it isn't seeing Denali from Healy alone is an awesome experience. If you stop in Healy, go to Rose's cafe. I still have very pleasant memories of the burgers there. Nenana is a quaint town about an hour north of Healy that has a lot of native touristy stuff. You will probably miss break up where they have a pool each year to see when a tripod they set up on the ice on the river gives way. I never got to see it go and wasn't ever close in my guesses. Fairbanks is a great visit but having lived there for 3 years, I am not sure what kind of touristy things to do there would be other than maybe the UAF museum. I would just enjoy driving around and the scenery. But I am easy to please.
    ďEvery player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they donít itís because they never got the chance.Ē Aroldis Chapman

Thanks for the recommendations.